STAR TREK: REBOOTED FOR THE WRONG REASONS

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dusty Ayres, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^Exactly.

I myself have a beef with the new Chekov--who has CURLY HAIR, for crying out loud, to say nothing of his goofy voice (voice, not accent, BTW).

That being said, I loved the movie for what it was. Just sayin. ;)

2. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    Heck, its what I still think about TNG, Ds9 and so on :D

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

What? You don't like all the self-fulfilling prophecies made before, during and after the movie's release that involves constantly moving the goalposts back? :lol:

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah, I've been watching this stuff for forty years. This is definitely Star Trek.

5. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

I bought the DVD- I like it a lot. But it's not REAL Trek. It's NuTrek. And I can deal.:techman:

6. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I'm one of the old-school posters here, that has been around less lately due to the vitriol that comes with expressing one's less-than-positive opinion's about Trek XI.

Even though I enjoy the movie, I squirm a lot when I stop and think about how convoluted the plot as written, got Us to this new Trek.
    And I don't really care for many of the choices made..., but I've grown accustomed to its face at this point.

I saw the movie twice in the theater and have purchased it on blu-ray.
    (yes, I'm one of those people who at least try to enjoy everything that TPTB throw at Us, I even liked ENTERPRISE.)

I still pine for something a bit closer to the Trek I've grown old with, but I certainly don't lose any sleep over the fact that I will probably never be completely happy with this version, nor, that I will ever get what I pine for.

I'm getting all three seasons of Classic Trek on Blu-ray for Xmas.
    (And I'm sick-and-tired of seeing people type that sarcastic crap about how all the old stuff is going to dissappear, it was lame the first time I read it and just keeps getting older everytime it pops up around here.)

Thank goodness being nostalgic isn't a crime... except, apparently, to some Folks around here.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Nostalgia isn't a crime, but it's remarkable how quickly it shades into self-pity for a few of the TOS-only folks around here. They pretty much have given posting in this forum, altogether though.

8. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nope, it's Star Trek.

That's how most new Star Trek works. :techman:

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Oh, I loved them! But I'm aware that not everybody saw them at the time, so I thought it was useful to give some background and perspective.

It's not vitriol about expressing your opinion. It's annoyance about posting it twenty times a day, in every thread (even those not about the movies), for months and months. Seriously. I'm not talking about you specifically (I can't honestly say I remember your handle, sorry), but there were some posts that definitively verged on the obsessed.

And this is exactly the passive-aggressive stuff I was talking about just above. :lol:

10. Admiral Buzzkill

This stuff went on in the Enterprise forum and drove the fans of the show - and the mods who had to deal both with nastiness from critics and a defensive why-don't-you-go-away reaction from fans - nuts.

The difference is the proportion of posters on either side of the divide this time. Most posters like the movie; most posters didn't like Enterprise. I like both of them.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if I could do it and also be 12 again -- . ;)

The amazing thing is how true to TOS the characters were kept, and how well they held up inside Abrams's new "modernized" and "readapted" Trek universe. There is no reason to go back.

12. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    I do see a lot of Star Trek (XI) repeated bashing on the same threads, it gets very old as the same posters constantly vent their emotions causing me to avoid the more obvious threads that - that sort of stuff is posted. I have written both short and long responses to the more rude posts critiquing either the movie or the taste of those who liked the movie, it does get offensive at times.

13. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    Oops grabbed the wrong quote; here.

I do see a lot of Star Trek (XI) repeated bashing on the same threads, it gets very old as the same posters constantly vent their emotions causing me to avoid the more obvious threads that - that sort of stuff is posted. I have written both short and long responses to the more rude posts critiquing either the movie or the taste of those who liked the movie, it does get offensive at times.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, who cares? You can live your life as an enthusiast or a critic. You can be a perfectionist and accomplish nothing, living in a chilly state of appreciation for a few things that meet your (ahem) "standards" or you can embrace creativity and go out and do things.

All of which is a false dichotomy, of course. It'll do for this morning.

15. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Seconded, and thirded, even!:techman:

16. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

QFFT!!

As always, well articulated, Sir Dennis!

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Dennis has been knighted? Why do I always miss these things?

18. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

You're so busy handing out warnings and quashing our dreams.

19. Plomeek Broth

Plomeek Broth Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed Trek 11 the two times I have seen it. However, I get the feeling over time I will just look at it as a film with beautiful visual effects and a beautiful cast, but not much below the surface. The story in Trek 11 is severely not a deep thinking story unlike Trek done properly like it has been on many occasions in the series and some of the other films over the years.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is how I feel.

They wasted an extraordinary cast on a pretty poor script. So much of it just makes you roll your eyes.

Yes I saw it multiple times at the theater and own the Blu-Ray. :guffaw: