Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes Questions

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by FalTorPan, Jun 18, 2008.

1. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

For what it's worth, Franz Joseph Schnaubelt's Star Fleet Technical Manual discusses bearings and headings and has a system that instead of having 360 degrees in a circle has 400 "divisions." (See Technical Order TO:02:06:10.) It also has "centidivisions" and "millidivisions" instead of minutes and seconds. So at least the old Technical Manual would seem to contemplate a heading of something like "375 mark 382." (Schnaubelt uses a small superscript "D" instead of the regular degree symbol of a little superscript circle.) Of course even this "400 'divisions' in a circle" notion doesn't really account for dialog in TOS with bearings and headings in the 800s and 900s.

But it's possible that if Schnaubelt's ship names and ship designs from his Technical Manual (like the Destroyer Class U.S.S Azreal NCC-517) are being adopted for the production, it's possible that his bearing and heading methodology is also being adopted as well. I know the old Technical Manual has many adherents who think that if one page of it was shown briefly on a computer monitor in The Wrath of Khan, then the whole darned book must be canon as well.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sadly, when he tried this trick again near the end of his life he accidentally launched a child actor into low Earth orbit.

3. dayxday1000

dayxday1000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dennis, you're hilarious!

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

You rascal!

5. Kail

Kail Commodore Commodore

Personaly, I want more TAS like mistakes, and some pink stuff!! :lol:

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It could have been worse. I was trying to work Paul Masson in there too.

7. NEO f/x

NEO f/x Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You saw the planet Quorus 5, right...pink and purple!

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I must hasten to point out that much of the "pink" people claim is in TAS is actually more of a periwinkle. ;)

9. NEO f/x

10. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Well, now I really can't wait to see what happens. August is going to be a long month.

11. NEO f/x

Thanks Mallory,

Time for a beer yet at McMens?

12. Mallory

We really should try and organize something here at some point. Even though I'm reluctant to drag you away from getting things finished, I realize that everyone can stand a little down time. Besides, I'd like to find out more about your company in a casual setting.

13. NEO f/x

Sounds good...are there any Trek fan groups in this area? Maybe something could be organized in the Portland area to show this to local fans. I know Scott Cummings as well (since we are both working on Exeter), however he isn't keen on Farragut much.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts and we can try to get together...if anything, gotta get you a NEO f/x shirt :)

14. Mallory

I'm thinking I might post something in the Meetups subforum in Miscellaneous. I know there's more than a few folks here in the area and I don't think we've ever tried to arrange something before. Probably won't get around to that until Tuesday though. The Dreaded Real Life is going to keep me pretty busy over the next 24 hours.

15. NEO f/x

Let's actually wait until after the full episode is released. It will be shown at DragonCon, but I won't be going this year...sometime in September might be a good time to show it.

Also, for those that are interested, the episode is now downloadable at http://farragut-animated.com/episode.html

16. jaksajak

jaksajak Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hey guys, Act 2 was really cool, looking forward to Act 3! Keep up the good work.

17. TigerOfDarkness

TigerOfDarkness Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have to echo jaksajak's comments there - I really enjoyed Act 2. The pacing and voice work was way better. The artwork was really good - the profiles and almost profiles looked great.
    Good to see the Azreal interiors are basically the same as the Farragut's - as you would expect from TOS!

18. NEO f/x

Similar...but not exact...same with the Azrael bridge...if you will listen closely in Act 3 when it is released, it be slightly different.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  19. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Just getting better and better! The trailer was stunning when it was first released. Act 1 was very cool -- great setup. Act 2 builds the tension even further! I'm ready for the fireworks -- Act 3!

What a cool way to deliver Trek! I hope the Farragut crew are able to pick up the pace. I know they've been very busy with the new stage, creating sets and touring conventions, but we need more episodes! So these two animated episodes are a big help in keeping Farragut current. They also raise expectations for the next live action episode. Little things, but also big things like now that we've seen Thelin on the bridge, how could he NOT be in the next live action episode?

Kudos to Michael and his team!

20. NEO f/x

While we are waiting for Act 3 to be released, I thought we would have some 'fun'.

As everyone knows (and just like every other fan-production out there), everyone works on these projects as a volunteer. Everyone does it for various reasons...NEO f/x does it to promote their visual effects business, and some do it simply because they really love the subject matter, or enjoy the people involved.

Everyone may also know that Kail Tescar, my associate producer on these episodes, is the webmaster of one of the largest Animated Star Trek sites on the net...Startrekanimated.com. One of the reasons I asked him to become involved was his ability to capture the essence of the Farragut crew in animated format. He has actually had this service available on his web site for a long time, and I thought I would promote it for him.

Check out this 'commercial' for his web site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMm_89REvPQ

We will be putting this as a special feature on the DVD when it is released, but I thought I would share it here.

If you have a few extra bucks, check out his web site and get an animated portrait of yourself. All sales go to Kail...not me, Farragut, or anyone else.

Enjoy!