Lis Sladen

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a shocker for me.

I was eating my breakfast at 5:30 and it came on the news, i actually stopped and didnt eat anymore i was that shocked.

She must have kept her illness so quiet. Its so sad, but then everyone has their day i suppose.

I always remember her return episode in School Reunion, it was fantastically done, so touching but not ott like it couldve ended up.

Ill go and watch that tonight at some point :(, its just that scene in the stair well when she see's the police box for the first time in almost 30 years, then the Doctor is just standing there and its just such a touching scene. they have never matched that since. And everytime she appeared, her grace, profesionalism and presence was amazing. Even next to all of the guest cast in Tennants last full season, she stood out, but then she would.

Ironic that her last episode was titled Goodbye Sarah Jane Smith :(

We'll miss you, Lis.

2. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice one, Tom.

:(

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The Doctor Who News Page has an extract from Tom Baker's reminiscence, plus ones from David Tennant and Matt Smith -- link.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

BBC has also released a collection of tributes including Russel T. Davies, Steven Moffat, Matt Smith, and David Tennant.

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, we know your opinion on this by now. Please take a break from this thread so we can pay tribute to Elisabeth Sladen.

Mr Awe

6. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

oh boy, I managed to not cry through all the tribute pictures and videos, but these words from the Doctor got my tears rolling. Probably because I just spent the last few hours watching season 4 of SJA. Hearing SJS say "With a team like this, think I can go on... forever" at the end of the last episode just pulled my heart.

7. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Damn. :( Thoughts and prayers to her husband and daughter.

8. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

And to the rest of her family, her friends, and all of her many fans.

9. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

It's a stupid tin dog. But that's the one that got me. I held up pretty well through the rest, but that little drawing just took the dagger and went right for the heart. :(

10. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

11. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I just watched my first SJA episode, Death of the Doctor. It choked me up quite a few times.

12. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Good. I look forward to seeing that. Will it be something short shown straight after the episode, or will they film additional material for the episode that touches on it?

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Annnd... Will it be shown in the US as well? I can't view the article thanks to the lovely, random firewalls on my office computer...

15. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

It would be nice if this episode starts off with some of the people who worked with her saying a few words about her before going into the actual episode. Then end the episode with the typical dedicated in memory of phrase typically seen in a show when someone connected to it has died.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I imagine it might be a dedication during or just before the titles. I seriously doubt they'll film extra bits to fit into the episode, besides Sarah Jane hasn't died, Lis Sladen has died, so the tribute should be to her :(

17. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Not in 2 days, with the cast travelling to promote the show.

It'll be an onscreen card, probably shown at the start since it wouldn't look right coming after the cliffhanger. Like they did with Verity Lambert.

Unless BBC America or Space actually make their own, I don't expect to see anything similar with them. There just isn't enough time, though I know BBCA is airing a one-hour special before the episode (don't know what Space is doing), so there's a chance you could see something there.

Frankly, I'm impressed the BBC is able to do anything at all, since it is only a few days before broadcast. Normally, once an episode is locked in, it's locked in. I wasn't expecting them to be able to do anything until Episode 3 at the earliest. Certainly adding "extra bits" is out of the question. The show's story arc is, again, locked in. And it would also deep-six the remaining episodes of SJA Series 5. A reference in a future season is possible (like how SJA acknowledged Ian Marter (Harry Sullivan), but unlikely.

I just hope people don't get all snarky if Nicholas Courtney and Barry Letts aren't included.

Alex

18. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I've just watched Lis with her young daughter on the documentary More than 30 Years in the TARDIS, where she's talking about how little Sadie's become a fan of the show. So sweet, so sad....:(

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    The mass tributes at CBBC site from kids as young as five could melt the coldest of hearts:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/cbbcnews/hi/newsid_9460000/newsid_9463000/9463099.stm

Here's just one example:

"I think Sarah Jane was a really good alien hunter and if the world had an alien invasion, Elisabeth would be the one to save us. I will miss Elisabeth loads and loads."

Morgan, 9, Isle of Wight, England

20. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

The one thing I noticed reading the messages from kids on the CBBC memorial page, was that a great many of those messages from kids include things like "I'll keep watching, but I'll never forget her" and "The Sarah Jane Adventures will never ever be the same without her", and others in a similar vein, most of which imply a belief/hope that the show will continue even without her.

Sure, there are a couple that say that they don't think the show should continue without Sladen, but by and large the vast majority seem to indicate that the show will/should go on.

And there are even a couple of entries like this one: "There's never going to be another Sarah Jane like Elisabeth." Not that there won't be other Sarah Jane Smiths, but that none of them will ever be as good as Sladen was in the role. It essentially implies an acceptance of the idea that there will be other/future Sarah Janes.Sounds to me like while kids will certainly miss Sladen, they're expecting a lot more adventures with Sarah Jane, even if that means accepting someone else in the role.