USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Vektor, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Vektor's ship is so much nicer than a lot of what we saw with onscreen "official" Trek. Indeed it's certainly far nicer than the 1701-E.

2. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The E isn't my personal favorite vessel either, and I agree with the sentiment, but you better be careful, saying that in the wrong place on these forums could easily get you a prison shank between your seceond and third vertabrae.

3. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

In any case, its a nice looking ship and Vektor WILL finish it THIS year!! :klingon:

... maybe.:p

4. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of my favorite starship designs of all time; better than most official designs (as Warped9 said.) A bit too (overtly) weaponized for my taste, and probably needs some well thought-out asymmetric touches, but man, she is a beauty!

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

If someone doesn't agree with my opinion then that's their problem, not mine.

Vector has a good eye for design. Another of his I really like is his Vanguard which is far better as a convincing pre TOS design than the ENT NX-01.

6. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did Vanguard get finished? All I found online was a 2003 thread at 3D Gladiators.

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

He got quite a bit far along, but I'm not sure he finished it to his satisfaction. Very cool design and it would rock as an actual model kit.

8. Santaman

I guess Vanguard will be the next thing on his list.. :p

9. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed it is.

10. Santaman

*rubs hands together* Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeexcelent! :shifty:

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I'm actually starting to wish for a new trek (not to be confused with nutrek) ship from Vektor. I love all the existing work of course, just hankering for something fresh.

12. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

^speaking of new trek ships, I think it has been a while since you did one of those :)

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Eh, I don't have a fraction of the talent and have never really finished anything. I'm better at broad ideas than I am at finished product anyways. I also haven't had any ideas that even I consider worth working on lately. Too much Kerbal Space Program I think.

14. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

those poor little guys. they just love a'splodin'.

15. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    What are the specs on the Grandeur, length/draft/beam?

16. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry guys, I had hoped to post some more WIP images for Grandeur this weekend but life had other plans. Should have something by next weekend.

17. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

18. Cobalt Frost

Cobalt Frost Captain Captain

Cobalt Frost in Phineas & Ferb's backyard
    Much obliged, good sir!

19. CaptainRoop

CaptainRoop Lieutenant Red Shirt

You are very welcome.

20. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't know that she was a Heavy Tactical Cruiser. I'll be sure to note that. I remember it being mentioned that she wasn't a Starfleet vessel, which is something that I think many might find radical as an idea, since the conventional notion is that the only Federation vessels with specifications approaching that of the military would be Section 31 vessels, and maybe mercenary vessels, and we all know Starfleet doesn't officially sanction the former, and the latter would most likely have equipment that might be considered illegal for civilian vessels. I suppose there might also be planetary defense vessels belonging to new member planets whose fleets have not yet been integrated into Starfleet, or replaced with Starfleet vessels. I myself find it hard to believe that the Federation would officially sanction military-grade vessels in the hands of an organization that is not a branch of Starfleet (especially what is obviously a state of the art starship), unless I am to believe that Starfleet doesn't encompass the entire Federation's permanent military organizations.

For me, the Avalon II class is still a great deal of a mystery. There are many gaps in information, such as:
    I assume that there was an original Avalon class (I); how is she different from the Avalon II?
    I assume that there must be a U.S.S. Avalon, which was the prototype for this class; what is her registry number?
    When was the Avalon laid down, launched, and commissioned?
    When was the Avalon drydocked for upgrades to Mk II specs, relaunched, and recommissioned?
    How many other Avalon class vessels are there, and what are some of their names and registry numbers?
    Was the Avalon designed as a Starfleet vessel, and if so, how many are registered to Starfleet, and how many more were registered to the Interstellar Task Force?

I'm also assuming that this isn't the first Non-Fleet Commission vessel to go by the name of Grandeur, otherwise there wouldn't be an A in her registry.
    What happened to the original Grandeur, and what class was she?
    And since this Grandeur is not a Starfleet vessel, is it probably safe to say that there might be a Starfleet vessel that carries the same name?

I'm not necessarily expecting Vector to know the answers to these questions, but I'm hoping that whoever was responsible coming up with the information pertaining to the Grandeur will have mentioned some of these things, or maybe even listed them somewhere that I'm not aware of.