Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

No.

2. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ Well, now we know the whole thing's gonna suck. I'm not even waiting the extra ten minutes to read that on the Internet before I proclaim my absolute rightness on this topic.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read the excerpt earlier this morning, and I really liked it. I'm very curious to see how this relates to the Borg and Caeliar.

4. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well darn it, if the Knife hasn't done it again. If the trilogy is even half as good as these two excerpts then we're in for one hell of a ride.

"Full speed ahead, and damn the naysayers!!"

5. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

6. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Just FYI, I'm told by my editors that another Web site will soon be posting another excerpt, this time from Chapter 3. So stay tuned for that, and look for early reviews on TrekWeb and TrekMovie, interviews on UnrealitySF, TrekMovie, and Julio Angel Ortiz's blog VoxBomb, and more, in the weeks to come.

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

christ, it's like Secret Invasion or Final Crisis!

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Danm, at this rate we'll have read half the book before it comes out. And as much as I want to stop reading this stuff, I know I won't be able to.

9. Idoliside

Idoliside Commander Red Shirt

10. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read it yet, so I wouldn't know. It certainly seemed like something they would do to gain an edge in battle and rub their enemies noses' in it.

11. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

I guess I'll envision it as the Altair from last year's calendar.

12. BrotherBenny

I'm more inclined to see it as a bigger, badder Intrepid-style ship, with Borg-inspired anti-Borg technology. After all, all the research that Project Full Circle did on the tech they took from Voyager had to go somewhere. Why not the Vesta-class which, as has been said, is one of a few classes to even have a moderate defense against the Borg.

13. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

It also has rudimentary quantum slipstream/transwarp drive according to GTS.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Only slipstream. "Transwarp" is a term that seems to be used to encompass a variety of different faster-than-warp technologies, given how many inconsistent portrayals of "transwarp drive" we've gotten, but for whatever reason, quantum slipstream is never counted as a "transwarp" technology.

15. Idoliside

I think it's to do with the type of FTW they are. Transwarp seems to be more "warp" like than slipstream. Wheras the latter seems to artificially create superfast tunnels, or map existing SS tunnels in what can assume is a seperate dimension with different dimensions to traditional space.

16. Christopher

^^That's not the way I explained slipstream drive in Greater Than the Sum. Given the instability of the vortex and the constant calculations that seemed to be needed in "Timeless," I concluded that basically, slipstream is to warp as digital is to analog. Instead of using large masses and energies to reshape spacetime, it manipulates spacetime on the quantum level, reshaping it bit by bit into the desired metric for a high-speed FTL conduit. Which allows more powerful and controlled effects with less energy, but requires vastly more complex calculations and is easy to destabilize.

17. BrotherBenny

That was a simple explanation that made infinitely more sense with the analog/digital analogy than anything else I've heard to explain it. Would the gelpacks not have aided the complex calculations though, the biochemical medium is far superior to the old isolinear chips, or were the writers on Voyager just using another copout??

18. Christopher

You can't say it was a copout, since they weren't basing it on my model. They invented it to serve a purpose in a story they were telling, and they established the principles that served that story, which is a perfectly valid way to approach it. Then, afterward, I came along and tried to lay more groundwork for what was going on there.

The idea behind gel packs was that they were based on a more biological, "fuzzy logic" sort of decision making, and thus could arrive at the best decision more quickly without having to game out every possible permutation first. I don't think that would be that great an advantage for slipstream, based on how I explained it in GTTS. A stable slipstream depends on very precise calculations, so a fuzzy-logic approach might be counterproductive. Or at least it would only be a part of the overall system, helping to make decisions to coordinate the functioning of the drive. But at the bottom line, it comes down to ship size: the bigger the vessel, the exponentially harder it becomes to do the computations.

19. Idoliside

Well true, but you are much more intelligent than me, i was sort of explaining it in a laymans way...

In the end, it's bloody fast...

20. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Fletcher cut in, “The intercepted message, Captain. It could’ve been a Trojan horse, a way to slip a computer virus past our defenses.”

See, Erika? This is what happens when you don't have the latest version of Kaspersky or Antivir installed, or, you know...don't use a Prefix Code... ;)

Another intriguing excerpt. All those new names getting thrown around at the beginning were a bit confusing though.