Any Percy Jackson / Heroes of Olympus / Kane Fans here?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FreddyE, Oct 30, 2013.

1. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I love those books. Please note that I´m right in the middle of the last Kane one....so no spoilers please.

2. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

Absolutely! My wife and I are reading right along with our kids. We love Rick Riordan. Finished the first Percy Jackson series, plus the Kane Chronicles. Now we're passing around House of Hades, his latest.

He's obviously done his research into the various mythologies, incorporating them into the storylines in innovative ways. The books are fun to read, and capture the speech patterns of teens very well. And the chapter titles are some of the best parts. My daughters' favorite is, "Men Ask for Directions, and Other Signs of the Apocolypse". :lol: And they absolutely adored Sadie Kane. Not sure whether I should worry or not...

3. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

I finished House of Hades...wow what a ride. Loved "The Son of Sobek"...I hope he will write a full Kane/Percy Crossover sometime. Next in line is a project just called "Norse series" for now. I hope it´s going to be "Modern day kids + mythological figures"...again.

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm eagerly awaiting House of Hades, I just need my 9 year old to finish it, so I can read it! I've loved all of the Percy Jackson & The Olympians/Heroes of Olympus books. They are a great mix of mythology, adventure, and humor.

I do miss the humorous chapter titles in The Heroes of Olympus books.

The Kane Chronicles, to be honest, hasn't grabbed me. Red Pyramid was just okay for me and I put down The Throne of Fire a while ago and never felt the need to pick it up again. I can't tell if it's the dueling narration, the plot, or the use of Egyptian mythology that makes me feel this way.

That being said, if he's next working on a series of novels with Norse mythology, I'll definitely give them a shot!

5. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

I love Percy Jackson and the Olympians and The Heroes of Olympus!

I'm not much for The Kane Chronicles, but I hope to get to them sometime.

In part because of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, I look forward to Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard.

6. May 20

May 20 Consumer of cookies and milk Premium Member

We devoured the Percy Jackson series and the Heroes of Olympus series. :)

DD and I read the Kane Chronicles. To me, they were not quite as gripping. Part of that was the structure, I think. The dual narration was awkward in places, to me. Also, we aren't as familiar with Egyptian mythology as we are with Greek/Roman mythology. That lack of knowledge made the stories harder to grasp through the first book. The third book is the best of the trilogy, imo.

DD and I saw Rick Riordan the Saturday after The Blood of Olympus was released. He gives a great show. If you ever get the chance to see him, I recommend it.

We are looking forward to the release of Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard next fall. The Norse mythology should be very cool. :)

7. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

The same thing happened with me. I read Red Pyramid, it was just ok. I started the second book, and then got distracted, haven't felt like picking it up again. It doesn't have that spark, that fun, of the Percy Jackson series.

I'll be honest. I didn't like the PJ series at first. I saw it as a thinly-veiled copy of Harry Potter. A young boy discovers he's got magical powers. He goes off to be with more of his kind, study what that magic means. His best friends are a smart girl and an odd ginger boy.

The second book felt even closer to Chamber of Secrets than the first book did to the HP series. It was entertaining, though, and I gave book 3 a chance. It spun off in an entirely new direction, and I've enjoyed every book since.

I'm thrilled with the ending of the Heroes series, and what happens for my long time favorite character in the series. I'm being vague, as I don't want to give anything away for those still reading.

If there are further adventures with these characters, great! If this is the end, then it ended with a satisfying conclusion - for me.

I wonder if he's going to tie in the Norse trilogy with this PJ series, or if it will be entirely standalone. We'll find out in a year.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the first series of Percy Jackson books, but I haven't jumped into Heroes of Olympus just yet. Now that the final book has been released, I probably will. I haven't given the Kane Chronicles a shot yet, either, but I find Egyptian mythology intriguing so I'll definitely give it a chance at some point.
    I think it will be at least loosely connected. I don't really think this is too spoilerific, but I'll put it in brackets just in case.

The title of the series is Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard, and the first book is set in Boston. Annabeth once mentioned having a cousin who lived in Boston. So Magnus might, in fact, be Annabeth's cousin.