Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kemaiku, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure how many Sonic fans there are on the Trek BBS but if there are, Sega have officially named their until now codenamed project "Needlemouse" as Sonic 4.

After 16 years the story picks up after Sonic 3 & Knuckles but before Sonic Adventure. And true to the other numbered games of the Megadrive era, it will be a built from scratch 2D game, the first main console 2D Sonic game in years.

Unfortunately it will be download only for the time being, for the 3 main consoles and the Iphone but I hope there'll be a PC release further down the line.

http://www.sonicthehedgehog4.co.uk/en/index.html?detectflash=false

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_4

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I hope it's good. The last few Sonic games were not. If it's a solid game, I will definitely pick it up. Sonic 2 is one of my favorite games of all time.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm hoping so too, from the footage they've shown it will be 2D from the ground up, they have tried to go back to the good old formula of the first three, even having Sonic be the only playable character.

All 3D elements and unnecessary characters have been left out, since its meant to take place before them, I'm just wondering how exactly it'll tie into the end of 3.

Having played nearly every Sonic game there is, the 3D was a let down, Sonic Adventure was good and I enjoyed Unleashed a good bit, but I've been waiting for a good 2D'er for years.

4. crouteru

crouteru Captain Captain

This will definately be Sonic's last chance for me, after the empty promises of the recent games. I have to admit though, Sega does seem to be on right track here. Calling it Sonic 4, using a mainly 2D perspective and making it a download title all seems to make sense and doesn't feel like they're forcing any gimmicky elements into the game.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It was all the random extraneous characters that bugged me. Tails was fine. He was like Sonic's new sidekick. Then they started introducing all sorts of random characters, and I just lost interest.

It's "Sonic the Hedgehog," not "Lots of Multi-colored Hedgehogs."

6. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I want a 2D starring Shadow. With or without guns.

7. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Finally!

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

@USS Bones: Check out the fan made "Sonic 2 HD", its a scratch built work in progress to remake Sonic 2 in HD, Shadow will be an unlockable character or one of the character choices at the start, its still pretty much an Alpha though.

@crouteru: I know what you mean, after Sonic Adventure about 12 years ago nearly every game since in the series has sucked, I don't mind the DS games or Sonic Unleashed but damn a lot were on the level of Heroes and the Advance series *shudders* I'm hoping it won't be a larger scale Sonic Advance 2 or 3.

9. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sonic 2, 3 & Knuckles, and to a lesser extent, Sonic 1, are some of my favourite games of all time (I grew up with them pretty much), so I'll be highly disappointed if this ends up sucking, but hopefully it won't. It looks promising so far; fast 2D platforming with no pointless characters and no gimmicks (unless they've got some gimmicks up their sleeves that they haven't mentioned yet) is a formula for win :techman:

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I didn't really like Sonic 3. I don't remember why.

Knuckles was okay, but I think the best part about it was that you could attach it to other game cartridges.

11. Geckothan

Geckothan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:eek: You're the first person I've seen that doesn't like Sonic 3. It was the best game of the three (I say three, because I never played Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on their own, just combined) in my opinion.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I barely even remember Sonic 3, honestly. I never owned it, only played it at a friends house a couple times. I just remember being underwhelmed by it (which is saying a lot considering I was like 8 years old).

13. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meet number 2 :D.

Seriously, I far preferred the first two Sonic games. They simply felt fresher and more original. And I also felt that the looks of the game as well as the characters weren't as good as in the previous parts. I always remember part 3 looking somewhat watered down or blurry (I can't really put my finger on it).

I also never liked the Knuckles character (neither in terms of his 'character' or his looks, for that matter). Plus I never got past the first level or so which just felt really uninspired to me.

14. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chalk me up as number 3. ;)

Sonic 1 & 2 rocked, esp. 2 (probably one of my favourite MegaDrive/Genesis games) but I never really liked 3/Knuckles all that much. I mean, I played them, but they never grabbed me the same way as 1&2.

I disliked the look too; I think I remember thinking it was too busy or something.

This new Sonic 4 looks cool.

15. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Wow, people who didn't like Sonic 3? make that a first for me as well, 1994 will always be the year of Sonic 3 and Knuckles to me, I loved that game. Anyway Sonic 4 has an awful lot to live up to at this point, it better be a damned good game :lol:

16. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

This lack of Sonic 3/Knuckles love is a first for me too! It's my favourite game of all time, Sonic or anything else, and I've been constantly playing and replaying it for the last 15 years. And I still find new things in it! Only Dynamite Headdy have I played anywhere as much, not even Sonic 2, which is the most difficult classic Sonic game in my opinion. Mainly because of the Special Stage of course - absolute nails. And Oil Ocean, the most evil level ever.

I'm hopeful for Sonic 4. Eschewing all the extra characters is a good idea, though it won't be quite the same without Tails running behind making a total nuisance of himself and causing you to die every now and then. Really, all you need for Sonic is Sonic, Tails and Knuckles. The only other characters I ever played as that were as fun or interestingly different were Amy in Sonic Advance 1 and Mighty and Espio in Knuckles Chaotix.

Any character introduced since Adventure 2, and Big the Cat, basically doesn't exist for me, though I get the impression if I played Rush I might like Blaze. All I want, all we need, though is Sonic, Robotnik and super-transformation in-game. I keep reading that having Super Sonic playable as soon as you collect the Emeralds makes the game too easy, Wrong - it makes it fun. Nothing makes you have to transform, and what's more fun than smashing through whole levels at top speed?

I'd urge Sega to use this checklist for Sonic 4:
    Sonic
    Rings
    Robotnik
    Spin Attack and Spin Dash abilities. No homing attack, no Peel-Out, nothing else
    Fire, Water and Lightning Shields
    7 Chaos Emeralds collectable in-game, enabling Super Sonic as soon as they're collected
    Kickass music

What more could be needed?

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

^Exactly! and its taken them this long with the fanbase constantly asking for it for it to even happen, then it ends up download only so I won't be able to get it :lol:

For me the last really game old fashioned game was Sonic Adventure, had it been just Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy it would have been even better.

The only good new character is Blaze, Sonic Rush was a pretty good game, as was Advance 1. Both simple 2D games.

I still play the old games from time to time, and I'm looking forward to the DS release of the Megadrive games, the added content and touch ups will be nice to see. S3K is pretty much my favourite game of all time.

If this game goes down well would it be too much to ask for a Sonic CD: Directors Edition?

18. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

This should be be printed off, photocopied, and stuck all over the developers offices. Especially the SuperSonic bit (once I found the cheat mode in Sonic2 enabling it, I used and abused this for endless fun replay value). :techman:

19. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh no, Sega. I'm not falling for it again. Every year or so you announce some new Sonic game that you claim fixes the problems of the 3D games and returns the series to its old school roots. You keep doing this and I keep hoping against hope that it will be the first great Sonic game since Sonic & Knuckles. It always disappoints, but I keep hoping that this time it'll be good. No more Sega. My heart can't take it any longer. I'm done with you.

Long live Mario!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  20. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

This news has me strongly considering buying Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles for Xbox Live.