Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by JJ-R, Sep 5, 2012.

1. dg1379

dg1379 Commander Red Shirt

I never even noticed the cropping. I'll have to watch it again and pay closer attention.

2. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not doubting what you are saying at all, but "steep learning curve" seems like a silly excuse. It's just a simple matter of cropping the image correctly from the raw footage. I don't see how that is difficult to understand/implement.

3. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Whilst I understand your views, it's important to remember that the budget is incredibly tight for this project. If CBS went back to re-scan the whole episode (which may be the case if their original scanning was cropped for non-FX scenes), the time and expense would be HUGE. What's more, it would divert funds and man-hours away from other episodes which wouldn't benefit as much as they would have done otherwise.

In perspective, "Sins" is still perfectly watchable, and as someone pointed out - it was only really noticed through looking at the credits text.

4. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Agreed. Id rather they keep moving forward at this point.

5. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Doesn't make sense to me that they wouldn't keep a pristine copy of the new scans backed up somewhere. All of that work scanning them only to hit 'delete' afterward? It would only make sense to keep the full scans for potential future projects.

6. SNogueira

SNogueira Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

OK, let's hope it is part of their learning curve to first compose the episodes with full aperture and then leaving the cropping for after they ended -- and properly saved -- a full aperture version. If that was done in the first place, it would be piece of cake to create multiple cropped versions, without spending so many man-hours.

Interviewer, since you're talking so much with them, do you know if they are making 16x9 versions (cropped, as the docs suggest) for syndication purposes?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  7. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Whoah! Check out this tweet from Roger Meyer Burnett:

"This dude in this STAR TREK PHASE II footage is totally wearing a LOGAN'S RUN costume. #TNGS2"

So, we are getting some Phase II footage on the Season 2 bluray??

https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/250778609638322176

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed. It's not like there's anything terribly important we're missing around the edges, and the picture still looks as sharp as ever.

That's more than good enough for me.

9. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Be glad they didn't screw up on the Best of Both Worlds episodes or something. ;)

10. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The nerdrage around the world on that one would be hideous.

11. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

That could very well be it I guess. All the test footage (or some of it) filmed for Phase 2. That would be nice to see I guess, although surely that would be more at home on a re-issued TMP Directors Cut blu (with new NEW effects) :p

12. senten

senten Ensign Red Shirt

Looks like there will be: https://twitter.com/BurnettRM/status/250827822162120704

Although I don't think this sounds like the amazing special feature that FrontierTrek is referring to (ie - collection of TNG stuff from the 80's to present day)

Wikipedia says about Star Trek Phase II "Several minutes of test footage, including a view of a redesigned Engineering Room, costume tests with crew, screen test footage of David Gautreaux as Xon and costume test footage of Persis Khambatta as Ilia, were included in a featurette on the DVD release of the Directors Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture."

So maybe more of that? Unless he means: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Phase_II_(fan_series) :D

13. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Yeah, many of us have seen that footage already in that prior DVD release, so I hope it's not just that. I'm thinking there may be a Phase II connection with S2 considering "The Child" was a re-used Phase II script (writers' strike was going on so they needed other sources for scripts).

14. senten

senten Ensign Red Shirt

The thing that gets me about FrontierTrek's hints is that it's a collection of never-before-seen TNG stuff "from 1988 to the present day".

What TNG material could there be from present day? All I can think is movie related stuff? Something fan related or stuff from conventions? "Captain Worf"? :D

15. FrontierTrek

Haha, you misunderstand my cryptic quote.

Present day is referring to new interviews ;-)

16. FrontierTrek

I asked them this in the interview - no, they are not. Wait for the interview as they give a nice bit of clarification why not, and why you've seen some 16:9 shots.

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

18. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nice interview, one thing in the way of feedback though: I realize you need to pay the bills somehow and that progressive disclosure helps drive clicks, but this (lack of) length was a wee bit above the frustration threshold for me as a reader.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That and the fact that there was little there we didn't already know...

20. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So what was the big surprise?

I noticed a "Niel Wray – head of 3D" listed. Am I going to be seeing the Borg in 3D?!