A Blast from the Past - UFO

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Klaus, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

I came across these in my collection and thought they'd amuse some folks out there: :D

[​IMG]

...bought them off the newstand myself in 1973. :D

I love the utterly incongruous use of "Spaceship Earth" lol!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. Ptrope

Ptrope Agitator Admiral

I have those, too! :bolian: The copies I have were bought used, for considerably more than their cover price, but I did have these from the newsstand when they were new, as well. As I recall, they were pretty precious to me at the time :) (I had a similar attachment to my Star Trek Logs ...).

3. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

"Un-humans from outer space"

Where else? :D

4. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

Some parts of Louisiana?

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I have #1, which I indeed bought at the newstand (literally, as I bought most of my books in those days at the little news agency up the square, which was also a little variety store). I didn't even know there was a #2. I'll have to look for a used copy.

I loved that show when I was a kid. I bought the DVDs a few years ago. Still fun. :bolian:

6. Klaus

^^they're definitely available RJD, check Amazon. I'm looking into the DVDs now, been meaning to get them for years. :D
    [​IMG]

7. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

The UFO novelizations were the first books I ever bought by mail order, back around 1975. Still have them, too -- they're in the bookcase to the right of the desk I'm sitting at.

There are a few things about UFO that someone new to the show may find it unlikely (an international anti-UFO organization headquartered under a film studio, the model effects, the purple wigs on the female moonbase crew), but a lot of it holds up really well. You get some fun SF action stories, but there are also stories about Straker's domestic issues, psychological suspense stories, and more. Plus great music by Barry Gray. It deserves to be better known than it is.

8. RJDiogenes

^^ The purple hair could be considered ahead of its time, being kind of punky. :cool:

You're right, there's quite a few on Amazon. Reasonably priced, too. Thanks. :)

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bought the dvd set of the series.

I always liked the show, no matter how hokey.

Hubby likes the "hot chicks with purple hair."

10. Klaus

:lol:

I ordered the DVDs, they'll be here this week. :D
    I know there must be some I haven't seen, and I haven't seen any in over twenty years. Psyched.

Here's the intro for a nostalgia trip: click
    [​IMG]

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Weren't the purple wigs just a part of their uniform? That always seemed more bizarre to me than the purple hair itself.

I actually have these DVD's unwatched on my shelf because I got them for an absolute steal, I suppose I should actually throw one in.

12. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

While I don't normally like weird color hair I do have to say they looked sexy.

This series is on my wish list. :)

13. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

yes they seem to have some rather strange uniforms - purple wigs for the women and the tops for the skydiver crews.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually it makes perfect sense that SHADO would use a film studio as cover. You could explain away any inconsistencies - people, equipment, etc. coming and going at all hours - as movements of film equipment and personnel. And it makes sound business sense for the show, as well; you wouldn't need to build a distinct set, since the studio would *be* a set.

The purple wigs, though... :wtf:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  15. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

I've got the British editions of those books - the covers are different. Poor old SID is upside down on that one above! (So much as you can have upside down in space, that is...)

16. RJDiogenes

No stranger than ties. Whoever thought up that concept definitely had a few screws loose. :rommie:

17. Lee

Lee Commander Red Shirt

I bought the DVD set a few years ago and had a blast with them. I've watched some of the episodes several times now. And I never skip past the opening!

I ordered the two books from Amazon, but I was disappointed with them. I thought they would be original stories (like the "Invaders" books), but instead they're James Blish-like short novelizations of the episodes. The writing is okay, but there wasn't enough there to motivate me to finish reading them.

18. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

Never read the books, loved the series as a kid.

The UFO on the cover of #1 looks different from the mental image I conjure up from the show. Didn't the alien craft on the show have a more conical upper section than the dome I'm seeing?

It's a shame series 2 of UFO didn't com to pass. Seeing the moonbase upgraded and Eagle transporters and Hawk interceptors working for SHADO would have been cool!

A "moon blown clean outta orbit my ass!" G

19. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Let me just say...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. RJDiogenes

^^ Indeed. :bolian: That middle shot leads up to the scene where she changes into the miniskirt, I believe. :cool:

It was actually a transparent dome over the Apollo-like conical section; it just doesn't show up well in that picture.