Tropic Thunder Grading and Discussion - Spoilers.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, Aug 12, 2008.

?

Grade Tropic Thunder

1. A+

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  2. A

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. B

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. B-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  12. D-

1 vote(s)
    2.7%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Pensive

Pensive Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember the agent giving Speedman a satellite phone in his gift basket, along with the other crappy gifts (and the dvd Speedman later strapped to his crotch). When the director shorted out their cell phones, Speedman only gave him his regular cell, not the satellite phone. I assumed he kept the iPod to himself as well ;)

I like how Lazarus' biography has him with about 12 kids (all from different mothers) and drama the likes of which even Russell Crowe has never seen!

RDJ with those blue contacts creeps me out a little though.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Love it. Easily the funniest movie I've seen so far this year (although I admit it hasn't been a great year so far at the theatre for me).

I would say Tom Cruise stole the show like every other review I've read, but I could just as easily point out how great any of the other cast members were. And I totally didn't expect what was in store for Steve Coogan's character. Caught me totally off guard! :lol:

3. Pensive

While I think his character (and credit-dance) was pretty funny, Tom Cruise is still not cool.

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt Tom Cruise will be affected. ;)

5. Pensive

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just got back from the movie and I loved it. I especially loved RDJ, just like everybody else who has seen the movie. But that's not to say that I didn't like everybody else, because I thought they all did great jobs, even the kid who played the main villain and his goons. And then there was Tom Cruise, who definitely comes in a close second as my favorite actor in the movie. The writing for the movie was also really good IMO, pretty much everything that was supposed to be funny actually was, and I thought they did a really good job of getting out their message about the craziness of Hollywood and what these actors do to themselves.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  7. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

A

This movie was fucking hysterical. I saw it last night. Myself and the audience were laughing throughout the entire movie...to the point where I couldn't even hear dialogue. Love the shots this film takes at actors and their motivation for taking roles.

Downey Jr. steals the show, pulling off a bunch of convincing accents in the process. Can't stand Jack Black but he was funny here. Another scene-stealer was Jay Bruschi, basically playing the straight guy of the group. I'm not a Stiller fan and I thought he was the least funniest guy in the movie. Cruise's cameo was great.

Noticed one scene in the trailer that wasn't in the movie. After Stiller's character is untied, he attacks his captor then asks if he hit him too hard, thinking it's still a movie. Obviously, his captor attacks him.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was Tom Cruise's part really a cameo? I thought cameo's were usually only a breif part in one scene, like the two at the very end.

9. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Saw it today- A-. Great send-up! Not as hilarious as Pineapple Express (that had me on the floor laughing), but terrific. Tom Cruise was a scream! I usually hate him.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Tom Cruise really shocked the hell out of me and with the dancing. Cruise hasn't been this enjoyable on screen for ages. Maybe in all of his roles he should don a bald-wig, lots of stage hair and a paunch belt?

"Who's the key grip?"
    "I am sir."
    "I want you to go up to that director and punch him right in the fucking face!"

:lol:

Great, great stuff. I liked him almost as much as I liked RDJ. Both of them really stole the show and over shadowed Stiller and Black -both of whom I usualy enjoy very much and were really good in this movie but neither "lived up" to what RDJ and Cruise were doing.

11. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Extended cameo is more like it. He was in about 3-4 scenes, coming up on close to ten minutes of screen time.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

It's knocked The Dark Knight from the top of the weekend box office.

13. Pensive

SKADOOSH!!!!
    :beer:

14. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm actually disappointed by Tropic Thunder's numbers. It barely did $30 million for the weekend and not including the Wednesday and Thursday takes I was hoping for something in the $40 million range.

Oh, well. It still did pretty respectable business regardless. And it did dethrone The Dark Knight. Which I guess isn't saying much, since any movie at this rate would have done it, with the juggernaut at the #1 spot for four weeks, it was bound to happen.

15. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just got back from the US and saw Tropic Thunder the night before I left. It's brilliant!! I haven't laughed so much in a long time. A rating, without a doubt.

It's my not my favourite summer movie, WALL-E stlll holds that title but it's probably in second place along with Iron Man. TDK comes in 3rd or 4th.

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I kept meaning to post here already. I saw the movie last Friday night and give it a solid B grade.

I liked it just slightly better than Pineapple Express.
    RDJ was awesome as the Aussie playing the black dude. Even when he came out of being the black dude at the end he acted still with an Australian accent. So while Stiller, Black et al were just using their own voice RDJ was still "acting" as someone else more believably.

The shine on Tom Cruise had tarnished some bit over the last few years for me and it was great to see him once again be enjoyable on film. His combined 15 or so minutes of screen time was great!

The last comedy of the calendar summer I'm going to see is Rocker with Rainn Wilson so I'm hoping for a solid film there. Based on stories I seem to have done well picking my summer comedies as I've not been let down with Get Smart, PE or TT. I passed on Zohan and Guru.

17. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Saw it a second time yesterday. (Better sound, caught more dialogue).

One of my new favorite lines: "Just because it's a theme song don't mean it's not true!"

--Ted

18. Pensive

I am partial at the moment to "I'm a lead farmer, mother fucker!"

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I love how after Lazarus yells at the kid to just spit the plan out he makes a series of facial expressions trying to, I guess, "realign" his character.

20. Pensive

kudos to RDJ for playing the most characters in the film!