Should the remastered episodes be released on DVD?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Laughing Vulcan, Sep 9, 2012.

1. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Just that. They've gone back to the original film elements, redone the effects and made TNG look great at 1080p resolution, with audio to match...

But the thing is that the original TNG releases were much lower than DVD tech, little more than VHS resolution, video composited effects work, and with soft, ghosting imagery. Whereas most feature film DVDs can be upscaled to hi-def TVs with resasonable results, the same can't be said for late eighties NTSC television.

If the new masters of TNG were put onto DVD, they'd be able to get the max out of the 480 line resolution (576 for PAL) and would look as good as they'd possibly could, and would be a useful alternative for those not yet on the Blu bandwagon.

After all, the remastered TOS episodes got a DVD release as well.

2. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I'd be all for it, if they left the original fx intact.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Time to break down and spend $69 on a Blu-ray player.

4. roliver

roliver Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Walmart has refurbished players for $48.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I don't even buy stuff on DVD anymore, unless it's £1 or less. With Blurays as little as £4 and similar prices to DVD's for new releases thesedays, what's the point ? Even with upscaling, DVD's not worth it any more...

6. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Bluray players are really quite affordable these days. I bought mine for 79 dollars in anticipation of the TNG bluray sampler. I could understand not buying one if they cost 300 bucks, but they don't.

There is really no downside to buying one. They play DVD's perfectly fine as well, so your existing library of movies are still perfectly accessible.

7. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Get on the bandwagon already. You are holding back human progress! THE FUTURE AWAITS

8. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. DVD is last century's tech. How many people would re-buy the DVD sets for a negligible increase in picture quality?

9. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

And with TNG its not like TOS where there were new shots that would warrant a DVD release.

10. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With how cheap bluray players are now it does not really seem worth it to release them on DVD too.

11. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

I have a Blu-ray Player...

I have four DVD players, and not enough access to the HD TV... But I'm speaking generally, not personally, as Blu-ray saturation still isn't sufficient enough to warrant Blu-ray only releases. Most everything that comes out on Blu-ray is available on DVD, and TNG's remaster is pretty rare in that it's Blu-ray exclusive at this time.

EDIT: Just been listening to an anime podcast from a UK anme distributor, and at around the halfway mark, there's some conversation about Blu-rays and DVD, and an interesting statistic is that even in first world Japan, Blu-rays will sell only 30% of the numbers that DVDs sell. Sony wanting a licencing chunk of every BD disc manufactured is slowing the proliferation of the medium.

I would never have thought that a physical home medium would be in competition with high speed broadband and subscription based streaming services. I guess another related question is if the remastered episodes on Netflix yet?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  12. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

Haha, took the words right out of my mouth.

Of course they shouldn't release on DVD.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

On the whole, they did. Very little at this point has said to be replaced with CGI or digital mattes.

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised they didn't release it on DVD. The superior remastered quality is also very apparent in DVD resolution. Films are also still released both on DVD and blu ray. TOS-R was released on DVD as well.

15. Trekker4747

I'm not surprised it also wasn't released on DVD with DVD not being an HD format and that kinda being the whole point of all of this. BluRay Players as mentioned above are cheap these days so not a big deal to get one.

16. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I couldn't really care less about Bluray so the answer is yes.

17. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can someone tell me what the output jacks are like on a typical Blu-ray player? Assuming they have the traditional (in the States) red and white RCA jacks for audio (no doubt along with digital audio), what video output formats do they have?

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My Magnavox, which is three years old, has HDMI, Component (RGB) and Composite (yellow) video outs and HDMI (one cable handles both), Optical and Stereo audio outs.

The Composite video out will only carry a 480i (SD) signal.

19. Trekker4747

I suspect any BD player will have all three "standard" output options on it. (Component, Composite and HDMI.)

But, really, HDMI is the only way you should go with BD.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It would be a waste of time.

Also the current dvd sets being sold every where would become worthless.