STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wait, what? Failed? We've lost?!

No. No no no.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Most. Depressing. Thread. Ever.

:sigh:

*fingers crossed for big buisness in China*

3. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, there will be a sequel, and it will be in 2016, the 50th anniversary. There couldn't not be one that year.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

It'll still make a lot more money. It's on track to make over $400 million worldwide.

They put money into a TV show and further movies.

5. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

If you're being serious, I can only ask - why???! If it's something you like, something you're interested in, surely that should be your primary motivation for watching. Admittedly, Trek is the only franchise I take an active interest in box office numbers, but that's only because I want to see it continue.

This movie looks set to "under-perform" but still be moderately successful - but even if it were an unmitigated financial disaster along the lines of Nemesis, if the studio produces another movie, I will see it - simply because I LOVE Star Trek.

6. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

STID been out for 2 weeks seriously :rolleyes: do you think ST09 was at $385 million after 2 weeks.

US Box office is going along nicley and will break $200 million, the only question is how much more past that will it get. The oversea Box office is WAY WAY ahead of ST09 and could break $200 million by the end. So thats $400 minimum, possibly $450 at the max though likely $420-430 IMO.

7. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

True. It is certainly not a failure. It may not be 'the biggest movie of the summer' (something EMPIRE magazine stated about 4 months ago), but it will be a hit.

I don't know if it's wishful thinking on the part of some. Can't imagine a Trek board where people actually want Trek (in whatever form) to fail. Maybe it's frustration. 'Cause in essence, Trek has the potential to be that massive hit franchise that the Superhero films or the Harry Potters are... I could see kids running around like captain Kirk, teens writing blogs about the Spock-Uhura romance, etc., etc... Trek has that power; it really is *that* good... That it somehow isn't happening, yeah; it's frustrating...

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

No.

:rolleyes:

No.

Chill, people. The movie's doing fine, and you're getting a sequel on schedule.

i09 really should stick to posting articles about "The 25 Greatest Movie Spaceships Of All Time."

9. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

That is a good snapshot of this thread--or board when the new Trek series is a topic; some of this series' fans run from thread to thread, barking & attacking others for no other reason than others not seeing the value of this latest production.

Some act like hair-trigger stockholders trying to sway public opinion because they have fortunes invested in this.

I wonder if some have friends working for BR; I ask, because the defensive position held by some are so off the rails, that you can almost feel some posts laced with the kind of anger of someone personally involved. In the interest of full disclousure, I have a few friends at Paramount--some who worked on the Berman ST series, but they have no problem accepting personal observations or criticism. Over the long years, they never jumped into protection mode when hearing anything other than praise for the various series.

Their lives moved on no matter what friends (or co-workers) said.

The point here is that going overboard in defense of nuTrek--almost trying to will the film to be successful reads as some sort of fight against any form of criticism from within the base.

In some cases, the fight is certainly against old ST--particularly the original series. Kind of senseless, as there would be no nuTrek without it, but some "nuTrekkers" seem to despise the accepted belief that more than any ST produced since, none matched the influence or sustained cultural impact of the original series.

Kind of reminds me of the Star Wars prequels fans railing against the original trilogy.

Red Letter Media...so correct about so many films. Love it.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Straw men" are what the fan critics excel at.

When I want to talk about the old show, there's a forum for that.

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  11. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Most of those links are accounting BS, and means little. But as far as your statement is concerned, the movie has been out 11 DAYS in the US, and slightly longer worldwide, and you are accusing it of being a failure when it'll be playing till September?? Utter nonsense.

RAMA

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I kept a close eye on a dad and his young son next to me during the movie(he said he had never seen a STar Trek movie of any kind before), and for the first 20 minutes he fidgeted, after that, he couldn't take his eyes off the screen...the Klingon battle had him transfixed. I also overheard someone in the parking lot saying they didn't think the movie would be so epic and large scale.:techman:

13. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

I went and saw a regular 2D showing Sat., 3rd time to see the film here in Lex, KY. I would say theater was about 1/3rd full, everyone seemed to be having a good time, even heard an 8 or so year old girl say she like it alot, but liked Ironman better....oh well, it's a start.

14. Beyerstein

Beyerstein Captain Captain

if they have a sequel out three years from now in 2016, that's better than the four year gap but ideally a two year gap, like between most of the TOS and TNG movies would be better.

15. The Transformed Man

The Transformed Man Commander Red Shirt

Ahhh the old straw man argument. I'm a fan of both TOS and nuTrek, so where do I fit in your little psychoanalysis of the Star Trek fan community? And frankly I've seen little to no bashing of TOS among fans of the new films, in fact I've seen quite the reverse; a respect and reverence for an old show that nuTrek borrows quite heavily from.

What I find odd is the needless bashing of fans of the new films. This may not be the Trek you want, but it is certainly playing well with a broader slice of the movie going public. Unfortunately there seems to be an "us four and no more" mentality among a small segment of fans... as if Star Trek should only be made for those who "get it" or truly understand "Gene's vision (whatever that means)." Apparently, nuTrek fans just don't understand what makes Star Trek work.

As has been stated here a few times by others who follow box office fairly closely, Paramount will certainly greenlight another nuTrek film as this one is performing quite well against stiff competition and will most certainly outgross Trek 2009 globally. I'm sure that must really grind your gears.

This made me laugh out loud. There's been little if any railing against the OT by fans of the PT in the Star Wars fan community, the vast, vast amount of verbal abuse has been the reverse. New, or younger fans tend to be drawn toward the PT films and TV shows like the Clone Wars; to them these are the Star Wars films they grew up with (like my kids). Again, a fact older Star Wars curmudgeons have a hard time coping with.

Yancy

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

It'll be 2016 to take advantage of the 50th anniversary.

17. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really think a lot of people, including Paramount got really carried away after the success of the 2009 Star Trek. Some people may have thought that Trek now found it's mainstream niche and was suddenly accepted as cool to the casual moviegoer b/c of J.J. Abrams '09 hit movie. But after over 40 years of the dork/loser stigma assoicated with this franchise, one movie wasn't going to do away with that anymore then Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home did.

Like an aritle in Forbes said, the franchise has had it's momentary upswings where it connnects with a large audience mainstream audience, and Trek it was probably due for one in 2009 since the last big upswing was in 1996 with First Contact. But the stigma on Star Trek is a powerful thing that shouldn't be underestimated. This movie will be a decent hit, but it was silly for Paramount or anyone else to think it would some blockbuster, monster summer movie.

18. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

I don't think it was a silly expectation. STiD will likely end up at about $230-240 million domestic, probably making it one of the top five or six films of the summer in the domestic market. Better marketing hooks could boost Trek beyond that into the high 200s or low 300s.

19. Roald

Roald Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm totally with The Transformed Man, I love both TOS (and TNG, etc.) and nuTrek so much... And I'm so grateful JJ didn't make those parody reboots you see a lot, but made two beautiful films... Remember the Dukes of Hazard film from 2005..? That could have easily been Star Trek (2009), 'cause let's face it: Star Trek is easy to parody...
    Or a reboot that has hardly anything to do with the orginal, like the Miami Vice film... That film could have easily have gotten a different title... We could have had this cool space adventure called Star Trek, but without any ties to the original...

Last edited: May 27, 2013
  20. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

From BoxOffice.com on Twitter: