Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Kadratis

Kadratis Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looking forward to this SP DLC. Rumors* on the BioWare forums that Shep might get a temporary Batarian team member; take it with a grain of salt though.

* Take it with a grain of salt!

2. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Didn't know PC had proprietary points and crap for DA. Hm, maye that, then.

PSN has always just been straight-up real money values, though. Something I definitely appreciate.

And Kadratis, I would take that with an entire silo full of salt. You're talking about BSN. Most "rumors" there tend to be wishful thinking that gets spread around.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yes yes yes, but that has NOTHING to do with the content of the free DLC packs. You could spend real money on re-enforcement packs at launch if you didn't want to wait to earn in-game credits and that was before the three MP DLCs were released. What I'm getting at is you don't HAVE to spend real money to get those weapons; they're freely available to anyone who plays multiplayer and has downloaded the DLC packs (for free!)

Indeed, I dare say those spending real money on the re-enforcement packs are *very* much in the minority. Hundreds if not thousands more players already have access to all those weapons (myself included) and haven't spent a penny to get them. I already own those weapons in-game and Bioware is asking for money so I can own them twice? F*ck right off sonny Jim.

4. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Last I was there, it was just 7he Island Head spreading his silliness again with an obvious Photoshop effort. It'd make sense for a batarian to get involved if this is indeed the Leviathan of Dis, but unless something has changed since earlier, I'm not holding my breath.

I'd love for it to happen, though.

5. Quinton O'Connor

I understand, and I'm sorry you feel that way. I'm still thinking even disregarding all that multiplayer weapon nonsense, we're paying the same two dollars for two new weapons as opposed to three from ME2's Firepower; a reduction, to be sure, but it evens out for me with five MP-originated weapons peppered in, regardless of the moral issue.

Of course, if the weapons suck then that's unfortunate. But damn if ME2's Firepower didn't pack a punch.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^For the record, the Argus and the Indra are both rubbish, the geth SMG takes so long to spool up it's a liability on higher difficulties, the Krysae is pretty powerful and has an AoE but it has the same odd pause-before-firing as the geth sniper rifle. The Reegar has an effective range of about two meters, has a low ammo capacity, burns through a full clip in two seconds flat and takes about as long to reload...plus it slows your walking speed. No idea about the Harrier, haven't got that one yet. Looks fun though, like a Mattock on full auto. No idea about the Raider either but I've heard it's naff too.

7. Quinton O'Connor

I have the Argus from the CE; it's OK. The Harrier is amazing. I just started messing with it in MP tonight, actually.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Really? I never got on well with the Argus at all. Didn't feel like they got the rate-of-fire/damage ratio quite right. What class were you playing it with?

Incidentally, the full details for the firepower pack are here and includes two actual new weapons: -

9. Quinton O'Connor

^ Yeah, I know. I was saying there were two new weapons all along! I suppose I should have listed what they were, though... sorry. :lol:

Anyway, "OK" may have been a bit strong. "Subpar", more like. But Soldier, for the record.

The Argus and the Raider are found via Leviathan if you don't already have them. So for me, that means I get the Raider, even though it's probably not much to be proud about aside from collections' sake.

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Sorry, I must have missed that part.

I think most people will be getting the Raider since who the hell in their right mind pre-ordered the game on Origin? :p

Actually, I suspect that the weapons are found in the course of the mission(s), so you'll get both weapons regardless. Which of course means a free upgrade for the one you have already.

Yeah, by most accounts the Argus is useless for anything besides vanguards and infiltrators who like to get up close and personal. I've honestly never really liked playing with *any* of the shotguns in the Mass Effect series. Something about the third person perspective make then tricky to aim a moving targets and the damage dealt always feel inferior...with the exception of the geth plasma shotgun. That at least had some range on it.

11. Quinton O'Connor

Yeah, the GPS is nice, especially for squadmates. Once it was introduced into ME2, squadmates who should have been using shotguns but really couldn't because their AI was atrocious with them finally had something mid-range enough not to get their heads blown off in ten seconds on anything above Normal. There was much rejoicing.

I'm an AR fellow, myself. I've gotten a couple of "dumb dudebro Soldier with Assault Rifle" comments in the past, which is funny considering I haven't touched virtually any other shooters. I just like the punch and rapidity of the fire, coupled with Adrenaline Rush and formidable defenses.

My Drell Adept is rockin' that Harrier.

12. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't typically use the shotgun for my soldier shep either, but with my new game+, having a full load isn't giving any weapon penalty so I've figured I might as well use it.

For the record, for a no penalty load, I've gone with the X versions of in single player:-

Particle Rifle (Great for harvesters so far)
    Pistol - Eagle
    Shotgun - Disciple
    SMG - Hurricane (with lightweight materials)
    Sniper - Valiant

To be honest, it's not the perfect load for maximum damage, but it's doing the job so far.

During my first playthrough, it was primarily the Mattock, Eagle and incisor.

13. Quinton O'Connor

NG+ offers no penalty on full loads?

14. John Clark

No, I'm afraid that there are still penalties, but if you plan the load carefully, you can get a nil percentage for a full load (at least for a soldier).

If the penalties were totally negated, I'd swap some of the weapons on my list (Probably Mattock and the geth shotgun for a start).

If I remember correctly, when I had a Disciple 9 (with the rest as 10) and the SMG has to have the lightweight materials, there was something like a 6 percent penalty, but when I'd upgraded it, it came to zero.

There are probably other combinations, but that's the one I've found so far.

15. Quinton O'Connor

Ah, OK. That makes more sense.

I like super-fast recharge speeds, they're sexy. I've been planning my MP characters around that with one exception, and I'm a monster pimping just one gun. My Infiltrator really needs the pair, though, especially because I desperately need aiming lessons with ME3's sniper rifles for whatever reason.

For my Soldier in the campaign, though, I think I busted out the Mattock and the Valiant. I'd have gone with the Widow but the weight was just too ugly for my taste... when I do my NG+ with him, though, I'll work it up to Level 10 and take it along for the ride.

16. John Clark

I, on the other hand, kept forgetting about my powers (for Shep at least) except for ammo in the first go. This time round, I'm using grenades a fair bit more, rush when needed and a bonus power of energy drain.

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I wish you could just equip one weapon in SP. My favorite class is the Vanguard, and now with the Charge + Nova combination, a shotgun is the only weapon I need. Charge into a group, Nova them, and if there's anyone left, give 'em a shotgun to the face. :D

18. John Clark

I admit I haven't actually tried that. It has happened by accident but that may have been a technical hiccup.

I'd finished the Geth Fighter mission and rushed off to do the Admiral without checking my load to see that they'd just given me one of the standard pistols.

Fortunately for me, before I'd met a significant threat, there was a sniper rifle pickup and I could grab the gear I wanted there.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^You can't just equip one weapon? Strange I thought you could. Next best thing if you want to minimise the weight it so just equip a shuriken with the light-weight materials mod. It weighs practically nothing and is very cheep to upgrade. Plus it's not a bad backup weapon if you run short of clips for your shotgun. Works surprisingly well on Guardians' mailslots.

For MP I honestly don't have a favourite class (though I'm really enjoying my new N7 Demolisher) though if I had to pick a least favourite, it'd have to be the vanguards...mostly because of the shotgun thing again.

In SP my main Shep is a soldier class, but that's just because on my very first playthough I didn't understand what biotics and tech powers were all about and of course my being stubborn at roleplaying so I never changed her class . In ME3 her loadout varied wildly as I liked to try out the new weapons. By the end of the game though she was rocking a revanent, a valiant, a carnifex and a disciple.

20. Quinton O'Connor

Could have sworn you can equip just the one weapon in SP...