Orci strikes back

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mountie1988, Sep 6, 2013.

1. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I found it all too similar to, and indeed worse than, Nemesis and both much worse than Generations (which 09 was pretty similar to but better).

Of course he can defend himself and his work but trying to do so by stating the obvious that it made a lot of money is hardly a strong defense, even a bit self-damning. Getting so angry over detractors (although some indeed are extreme or worse get personal) when so many others liked it seems wierd.

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Could you point out which part of the original article was snapping at him, bordered on abusive, and would get a person kicked from a message board which called for Orci's response? Here's a link.

I don't mind passion, but the "I'm a cool writer and you're not" garbage is disappointing. And as far as apologizing, did he apologize to the author of the editorial?

3. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

It wasn't just the article, if you read the whole exchange, he admits he gets like this once or twice a year. The article and the bullshit Vegas poll was what set him off this go around.

And frankly, yeah I find the article to be the latest installment of entitlement mindset babbling. Biased, presuming to speak for the majority. If I was Orci, I would have probably told the author off too or contacted the admin at TrekMovie and demanded equal time to rebut it.

I doubt he's that out of the ordinary in modern Hollywood. The buffer between fans and creators is all but gone. It's more personal these days. It's harder to ignore the critics when people jump on the least little critical thing and blow it up to a total damnation of your work (see: Vegas poll).

There's an affliction in fandom (not just ST) where some people want to see the creators falter and fail. Knock 'em down a peg of two and prove their no better than the fans. It's sad and it's a cancer killing a lot of fandoms.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

While we're not forgetting (or being misleading), that gem was directed at a poster in the comment section named Ahmed who was being an ass himself, and not to the writer of the original "Trek is Broken" article.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The fanbase finally got a look in the mirror in regards to how they act towards and treat the creators of Trek and found they didn't like what they saw.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Then again, as I pointed out in the Trekmovie thread, the article comes out of left field and has no bearing to reality whatsoever.

RAMA

7. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

And it's annoying how many fans think Orci was in the wrong for defending himself. Is this really the face we want on fandom: entitled, spoiled, brats.

Well as we've seen in this thread, some fans think the crew should "Shut the fuck up" and take it.

8. BillJ

Yeah.

Some days though it seems like they're fighting a religious war.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I think, for some of them, in their mind they honestly believe they are.

10. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

Yep. Trek fans might want to aim higher than 'religious fanatic'.

IDIC, or something...

11. geneo

geneo Lieutenant Red Shirt

What in the world is the fascination with the "F" word here. Can't this board be PG rated or better for the entire family to be able to read, not just so called "adults".

12. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

'F' word?

As in 'Fans'?

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The mod already told you that if you want to discuss this you can start a thread in the QS&F (the F stands for F-Word) Forum, but not to continue to raise the issue in regular discussion threads and derail them.

But most people don't have a problem with its use, and the vast majority of our members are in fact adults, and not just "so called" ones.

14. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Indeed. Plenty of adults swear. I live by this axiom:

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain

So at the very least, I'm in good company. :D

As for Bob Orci, I think it was enough to make him lash out, and that's all. Most of us have reached a point where we simply do not feel like taking shit from someone who thinks they just know better, regardless of how little they actually know. Orci reached that point. Plus, he went back and apologized. That's more than some would do.

15. st4ever

st4ever Ensign Newbie

I don't blame Orci for his reaction. I rather like STID, a lot. But upon first viewing, I wasn't sure how to feel about it stepping over my precious WOK, which is my favorite movie of all movies, period. After a 2nd viewing, I have accepted STID for what it is, but even if I hated it, I would not act like a jerk-off, because I'm afraid that kind of attitude does not represent what the core of Star Trek is really about, so I am actually embarrassed to be a fan at the moment with those kind of insults and attitudes from other fans.

16. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most if it comes from passion, fans have put a lot of heart and soul into Trek, and Orci has as well, presumably. Sure, passionate people are dicks sometimes, but they're also authors, and artists, and engineers. Long story short, passion is a double edged sword, and on the internet there's no such thing as a scabbard. For whatever reason, it's tougher to back down on the web. I can't offer an explanation, it just is.

But.

I don't think the core of Star Trek is about rejecting others based on their views, comments, or behaviors. At least, not the Star Trek I grew up with. Maybe yours was different.

17. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I'll ask again: which part of the original article says "entitled, spoiled brat" to you?

Whether you agree with the editorial or not, it was entirely reasonable in tone.

Orci's response, by contrast, "I get to write movies, yo, and you don't!" was completely unreasonable and reflects very poorly on the man. It makes him no better than the worst poster you could find on this forum.

18. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

I believe Bob was not just responding to a poorly framed article but also other comments in that thread.

19. BillJ

Agreed. His first response in post #127 where he simply says "fascinating".

20. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I find the overreaction to what Orci said to be hilarious. You'd think Star Trek was a religion based on how some fans treat it. They need a good slap back to reality.