Anyone here who HATES "in the pale moonlight"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WesleysDisciple, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

If all it took was the assassination of that one senator, the Rommies (or at least a powerful faction) were just itching to go against the Dominion (the destruction of the prize Tal Shiar fleet would not have gone over that well). Said senator probably was the opposition to joining the war - once he was gone, it was a forgone conclusion.

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^Possibly. But if so, then all that was required was the assassination. It is surprising some enterprising Romulan politician didn't beat Garak to the punch. Regardless, although this rationalizes some of the episode's political absurdities, it also renders the entire plot about falsifying intelligence completely irrelevant.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No. Because Sisko and Garak wouldn't be privy to every internal mechanization of the Romulan government.

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Garak doesn't know that Vreenak is the key proponent of neutrality, then he has no reason to think forged intelligence can lead to Romulan war with the Dominion. The question of why he doesn't just assassinate the man, instead of farting around with Sisko, still remains to be answered. Garak and Sisko must know that they have strong support within the Rommulan government or they would have been afraid that assassinating Vreenak might have made the situation even worse.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but would the Founders be interested in conquering a "chaotic empire " that generally keeps to itself and probably has a couple hundred horrible WMDs hidden in the closet to deploy on its fleet of ships that can turn invisible.

6. Hartzilla2007

It didn't it took the assassination, the evidence that the Dominion did it, and the somewhat intact data rod discussing a Dominion invasion of Romulus which anything making it look like a fake can be blamed on damage from the bomb to get them in the war.

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Dominion has proven in the past that they can see though a claok if need be and I do think they have their eye on the Romulan Empire as well as the lingons and the Federation.

8. BillJ

The Romulans have shown no inclination to keep to themselves when it suits them. Do you think the Dominion has forgotten about the Romulans involvement in the attempt to obliterate the Founders homeworld? Where were their WMD's then?

I don't think the Founders would've treated the Romulan Empire any differently than they did the rest of the AQ powers.

9. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Obviously they had to make it look like the Dominion did it. If it didn't, it would strengthen Vreenak's faction's hand.

And the Romulans didn't partially atone by becoming the Dominion's stooges.

10. Hartzilla2007

Yeah, I mean they were just constantly attacking the federation :rolleyes:

You mean the one they had seemed to have gotten over in the case of the Cardassians

Probably din't bring them

11. BillJ

Definitely ended up working out for the Cardassians didn't it? Puppet regime controlled by the Dominion then eight hundred-million dead as a parting gift. :lol:

12. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

um, actually YES the Romulans WERE constantly scheming against the Federation, especially during the TNG era. "the defector" had them lay a trap to get the Enterprise, "unification" had them try to conquer Vulcan, "the enemy" had them try a border incursion, and then there's "Nemesis..."

yeah, those Romulans sure kept to themselves, leaving the Federation alone.:lol:

Grendelsbayne likes this.
  13. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

lol.. Governments don't even exist. I personally don't give a shit what Sisko did since morality doesn't even exist. Only fools and losers believe in "morality".

14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

someone's been taking his Nietzsche reading a little too seriously...

15. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

indolover tends to do ~'X doesn't exist' whenever he loses an argument.

He probably thinks he appears cool and mysterious.
    Little does he know the reaction his faux profound statements engender.

Well - a laugh now and then is good for the health.

16. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I wasn't even interested in an "argument". Also, morality doesn't exist. Reality is no obstacle, so it's up to you whether you believe that or not.

17. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

the beliefs of philosophers don't stack up with me. There is no such thing as "morals" get with it.

18. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because you say so? Well, there's hard evidence if ever I saw it.

19. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I say so? Well, that's how society is based.

You cannot be stupid to acknowledge that "morality" exists, can you?

20. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

Despite being a hardcore Roddenberryian I am fine with Sisko turning a blind eye to Garak doing some nasty stuff for him to get the Rommies into the war.
    Sisko bribed Quark and allowed Garak to kill some people. The distinction between looking away and doing it yourself might seem trivial but I don't think it is. At least I would have a problem with Sisko's actions if he had done all of Garak's dirty work himself. We all know the trolley problem so I know that it is not rational, doing it yourself or allowing somebody to do something which you don't wanna yet admit to yourself but basically know boils down to the same thing. It is irrational but feels right to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.