The Office: 6x11 - "Shareholders Meeting" - Discussion

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Samurai8472, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I feel like rewatching "The Water On Mars" or playing "Call of Duty Modern Warfare"

2. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh...I haven't seen it yet, but I was just thinking last night that I'd like to see a plot with Jim and Ryan now, as a turnaround from season 4 when Ryan was at Corporate and had it out for Jim, demanding better work from him. Curious to see how it plays out.

The main plot of this ep doesn't sound like anything new.

3. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

This episode was forgettable. Certainly about 10 notches down from last week.

4. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

It was worth it just to see people treat Michael the way he deserves to be treated. The man is a non-functional entity in that he's clearly mentally and socially retarded. The humor of it wore off a long time ago for me. I feel nothing but pity and shame whenever I see a scene with him now, which kinda sucks for a show that's supposed to be a comedy.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a bad episode all around. I don't think I laughed even once, it was just kind of sad.

6. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Recyclops bit and Jim moving Ryan into the storeroom was funny. Michael's usual antics were embarrassing as always.

7. ParticleMan

ParticleMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I liked the Jim and Ryan interaction...although I'd have preferred to have seen Jim physically throw Ryan out of the office, except for the fact that Michael would have found a way to bring him back the next day. The other thing I liked was the look of pure glee on Michael's face when he saw the limo pull up for him.

I wish that they could have let Oscar let the corporate officers really have it...I mean, if they haven't fired Michael or Dwight yet for their antics, surely Oscar could survive reaming out the CEO, right?

As for Michael's inevitable reaction to the crowd at the meeting, frankly, that's what the corporate folks deserved. David Wallace should know him well enough at this point not to let that man ANYWHERE near a microphone, regardless of how well his branch might perform.

8. ParticleMan

I'm hoping that the storeroom bit will finally start to get the others in the office to treat Jim as a real boss from this point forward...

9. Geck

Agreed, that was my biggest problem with the episode. Michael should not have been up on that stage. I also wish Oscar had gotten the chance to speak up and let them have it like he wanted to. I really don't understand how any of them still have jobs at this point - Michael should be totally fired for this.

I did enjoy the Jim/Ryan stuff. It is hard to take a new boss seriously sometimes when you've been working with them for years - hopefully the others will start to respect his leadership a bit more.

Other random question: is Earth Day different in the U.S.? I'm used to it being April 22...so the Recyclops open felt weird, since they just had Halloween a month ago, and have a Christmas episode coming in a few weeks. It felt out of place. Though I did like that they showed the various receptionists sitting at the desk every year. Nice little attention to detail there (though I'm not sure if the chronologies with those would line up either).

10. Garm Bel Iblis

Garm Bel Iblis Commodore

every year nbc makes their shows "go green." Al Gore was on 30 rock apparently

11. Geck

Ahh, ok. I was wondering why the peacock logo was all green.

12. ParticleMan

Yep...every show made overt references to being green. Parks and Rec and The Office reserved it for their openers, but Community and 30 Rock had it throughout the episode, with 30 Rock making the biggest deal of it, including Kenneth actually looking down at the green NBC logo...

13. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't get the whole Ryan in the closet bit. Or why Ryan was fearing it.

The Recyclops was funny, but it would have been serviced better if they saved it for an April episode when Earth Day actually is (or if they eliminated the Earth Day reference all together).

14. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jim put Ryan in the closet where there's nothing to distract him from work and no internet after Ryan flat out refused to do anything work-related (like giving a really dumb excuses to Jim while playing Tetris). Now Ryan has to actually work at his workplace.

15. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

At least until he goes and complains to Toby.

16. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was a decent episode. The evolution of Recyclops was hilarious.

Have to agree with the mic thing. They should have unplugged it or not had it on. Michael always says something he shouldn't.

17. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man especially this this whole economical downturn. This shareholder conference is how I feel our board should be taken to town. We are not going to bankrupt. Yet they fly around with private jets. And now they have created another SVP position which costs more than 5 bloody analysts.

And here us poor grunts aren't even going to get our bonuses this year.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

For a minute there I thought they were angling it to where Michael - defying all odds and common sense - would somehow wind up in charge of bringing Dunder-Mifflin out of its financial crisis.

They had all the pieces in place:
    ----- Michael running the only profitable branch.
    ----- Oscar having some good ideas for streamlining the company, which Michael might take credit for or at least keep him on as his right hand man.
    ----- Jim being able to take over the Scranton Branch as the sole manager.
    ----- Michael building some popularity with the shareholders (albeit by just making things up) who hated the rest of the executives.

Of course in the end they returned things to the status quo, but I thought it might be funny to find Michael taking over David Wallace's job for a while. They could still show him every episode and have him visit Scranton a lot, and then once he - through some bizarre circumstances - led the company from financial ruin would either voluntarily return to Scranton or screw up big time and get sent back.

I was disappointed that this episode didn't really lead anywhere. After all the build-up nothing happened with Michael and Oscar didn't even make his proposals to the board.

I was happy to see Jim handle Ryan in his own style though, without resorting to yelling or some other out of character trait.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^ I also thought something was going to come out of the Michael/Oscar thing.

20. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

"I know a guy, this Mexican guy he is a math whiz. He knows economics as well as he knows bullfighting" :lol:

It's funnier if you don't know who Oscar is.