First glimpse of new TARDIS control room!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Chris3123, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Captain Crow

Captain Crow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First we get the Teletubbies house, then we get the funhouse, and now we get the Power Rangers power chamber.

The console would be okay if it didn't have those daffy LCD monitors and what looks to be a mishmash of crap for controls again. Why can't they just use normal buttons, knobs, and swithes? Also the tall center column dosen't look right with that design. The room itself, from the picture anyway, is very "generic spaceship" looking.

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

However, that's exactly the sort of thing that proper lighting will change. I think it'll look better on the TV screen than this picture. We'll find out soon.

Mr Awe

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@ Psion - the previous, 11.1 console room set WAS a 360-degree set, or almost anyway. There were still gaps in the set that prevented shooting from every angle, although those were fewer than basically every set that came before - each of those missed at least one complete side. The way British television tends to be shot seems to treat their sets more as theatre stages, meaning that they would keep the cameras and lights on one side and shoot everything from there. In the 11.1 set, they MOSTLY kept everything on the featureless gray wall of the room, which probably explains why they never really bothered to finish it off.

More importantly, no console room set had sections that would be removed so you can place full camera and lighting setups and shoot the opposite direction. The 11.1 set was locked, and whenever we shot from the other direction (i.e. any shot where we saw the gray wall) they didn't remove any walls to do it; luckily the set itself was big enough that this wasn't ever much of a problem.

In various Star Trek sets, whole walls can be pulled out so they can have better composition in shots and have to compromise less. For example, think of any TNG episode where Data or someone working at one of the aft stations on the bridge, and we saw their faces and the front part of the bridge beyond:

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s4/4x03/brothers085.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x05/lastoutpost017.jpg

To accomplish these shots, they would pull the rear wall out of its frame so they can have a hole to place the cameras and lights and microphone. Likewise, basically every shot where we see everyone looking at the viewscreen / camera means they pull the whole front section of the set off to have room for all the equipment. The 11.1 set had no such ability to remove walls and they pretty much crammed everything they needed into the room itself. Again, luckily it was big enough that they had to compromise far less than in the previous 9/10 console room, which was missing 1/3 of the dome.

With this in mind, I'm thinking even more now that the new set has the ability to remove walls... Looking at that auxiliary console on the left of the picture, it would be great if they could have an over-the-shoulder shot of the Doctor working that console, with the main hexagonal console in the background. That could ONLY be possible if they could pull out parts of the set wall beyond, and I think they have built this into the set design. Hum...

Mark

4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? I wasn't aware that they'd done so much work on Eleven's set. I thought they'd only extended one wall a bit. But the point remains: with a completely surround set and all walls wild, the director will have a lot more filming options than they've ever had with any pre-existing Doctor Who TARDIS interior.

5. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Thinking in terms of a bridge: Given the beating it looks like the Tardis exterior took in one of the promo pics, maybe this is a secondary control room, a battle bridge, after the main control got destroyed or damaged?

6. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Why would a secondary room be needed? Since the tardis can regenerate just like the doctor does?

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't be the first time, there's the secondary control room used by Tom Baker for a while, very wood panelled and Victorian/Edwardian.

I can't beleive some of the hate this is getting. Chill people, it's just the console room. I wasn't overly enamoured of the old 11th set (too cluttered, too bright and some of the far walls looked like gold tinfoil) but I lived with it because, know what, the doctor doesn't spend that much time in the console room really...

8. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What hate? This is easily the best console room of the new series so far.

9. Mark_Nguyen

And even if the overall reception is negative following next week, fret not! She has at least a couple dozen more control rooms archived, even if they haven't happened yet. ;-)

Mark

10. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I've wondered if this control was perhaps a really old control room (perhaps the original) that the Doctor starts to use again. Rather than being a newly created control room that happens to resemble a classic design.

Using the TARDIS's original control room could have obvious ties in the anniversary special.

Mr Awe

11. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

The new Christmas short, "Songtaran Carols," which is Strax the Sontaran "singing" Christmas carols, appears to have been filmed on the new TARDIS set -- you can see the roundel-like hexagons behind him.

12. Mark_Nguyen

Okay, that was really funny. :)

And yes, it's the console room. The clip shows that upder normal operation, the upper lights will be regularly blinking. And it seems to have been shot against the right wall in the earlier picture, as you can just see the railing of the stairs leading up on the left of the shot just as it fades out.

Yay, overanalysis! Four days till we see the new Sexy!

Mark

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep! That was definitely a mood lifter. Of course, now someone has to point out that those weren't exactly Victorian-era Christmas carols, but this is a show about a time traveller, so it won't be me!

Oh drat.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Strax isn't Victorian either - he's from the future...

15. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Here's a clip of Clara entering the TARDIS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01322z9

Personally, I'm sold. This is an excellent console room that clearly means business.

Love the seamless entry too, even if it is seven years overdue. ;)

16. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ I wonder if the carousel effect goes on all the time

17. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Truly a thing of beauty.

I still want to know what's down those steps.

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that in the trailer for the upcoming season we saw it at rest.

19. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is the spinning carousel thing a practical effect? When Vastra looked up at it, it almost looked a bit too CG-ish.

20. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Here's an extended version of the introduction on YouTube:

[yt]http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plpp&v=EKy3kZPBt90[/yt]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012