Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Filming is still slated to start in January so is our main cast now in place with this position filled?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Of the main characters mentioned in the earlier press release, there's still one, Skye Morse, who hasn't yet been officially cast. And casting often doesn't get finalized until just a couple of weeks before the start of filming -- if not later.

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to that announcement, then...

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Currently the best option.. Coulson seems like a high profile Shield agent warranting his own LMD (alongside Fury, Hill and very few others).

They even have a throwaway line in Avengers about LMDs when Stark answers Coulson's call.

If they go with the LMD possibility they could use the scene where Coulson walks up to the door and has his eye scanned.. the movie switches away but the TV show can go on by showing the LMD waiting for action and the remote control mechanism.
    Fury's sadness could also be explained by keeping up the charade to goad the Avengers into action.. he is a cold bastard like that and it would fit his character.

It's a bit lame i admit but then again better than some other resurrections i've seen in comics.

So.. if filming is to start in January does that mean Shield is on track for a fall 2013 premiere?

5. Christopher

It hasn't officially been picked up as a series yet. So far it's just a pilot.

6. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

how closely do LMDs match humans? Is it possible Fury didn't find out until later?

7. Christopher

Well, they've been used in the comics before to retcon character deaths, including Fury's own. But apparently the standard models are more robotic on the inside and their true nature would be evident if they were damaged enough for their innards to be revealed.

8. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wasn't Stark in Avengers a LMD?:p

9. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they go the LMD route with Coulson I will so boycott the entire MCU. And by that I mean continue to watch and lavish money on it while grumbling endlessly.

I think the best solution is the most obvious. Coulson never actually died and Fury faked his death to inspire the Avengers to avenge someone. All the evidence is there in the film, and, even more importantly, it'll cause a great deal of conflict between Stark and Fury in The Avengers 2. Joss loves that type of shit.

10. DEWLine

All of which works for me.

"I fully expect Stark to belt me the next time we chat. I have it coming. But the boss said it: they needed the push."

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, at least it would be faithful to the source material.

Setting the series as a prequel wouldn't limit story possibilities at all - quite the opposite. It would free them up to do anything they could reasonably want with a super-secret international high tech police/spy/whatever organization, without people continually wondering why the fuck the superheroes never show up and get involved in the goings-on.

12. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I doubt that anyone in Shield is pulling of something like that without Fury's approval. Heck.. he was not above using some private mementos of Coulson to pull at the Avengers and get them into action. For him the ends justify the means and he can't afford to lose so what if some feelings get hurt in the process.. all that counts is the safety of Earth.

Whatever the method used ti bring back Coulson i'm fine with it.. he was, next to the main heroes, the best thing about the Marvel movie universe and i'm just happy he'll be the lead for the show.

I'd also not care if Whedon would bring back Wash and Book by whatever means if by some miracle Firefly gets on air again including just pretending that the movie never happened (and i love the movie).

13. Christopher

Actually it was Coulson who said it first, in his "dying" breath: they needed something to avenge. (Although he only got the "av..." out.)

14. DEWLine

True.

But I'm finding myself imagining moments in the months between movies where they'd previously had conversations on that very aspect of the Initiative, and the psychologies of the candidates...

15. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

16. Christopher

Hmm -- "...slightly obsessed with superhero culture and the shadow organizations that exist within it." Like what? What shadow organizations are there other than SHIELD itself and various villain groups?

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So Fury is going to only be heard over an intercom for the entire series?:lol:

19. Christopher

Actually what Jackson said was that he imagined that "if nothing else," then "at least" his voice would be heard a la Charlie. So he's not saying that's specifically what he wants; he's open to doing more. But he hasn't actually talked to Whedon about it.

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

Jackson does a very good job of giving the appearance he is up for just about anything, but he is only one man, and he wont have time for much else, unless we are talking the briefest of cameos.