X-Files: Sci-Fi related episodes?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Jan 24, 2012.

1. ReadyAndWilling

ReadyAndWilling Fleet Captain

hey guys, i want to start watching this show again. i'm not a big fan of the alien type storylines, but i love anything to do with machines or robots. the episode 'ghost in the machine' from season 1 was one i really enjoyed for example.

now, i'm about to watch 'salvage' from season 8 where a man becomes metal and was wondering what other eps anyone could recommend that suit my taste?

thanks

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Try looking through this

3. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Science Fiction episodes of the X-Files?

Well, there's the first episode... and the last episode... erm, and every single one inbetween

4. ReadyAndWilling

i meant ones that involve machines.

i remember an episode where a man could regenerate from almost any wound -- anyone know what i'm talking about?

5. GemHaters

GemHaters Captain

I believe you're talking about "Leonard Betts", 12th episode, season 4.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

That episode has one of the best lines in all of season 8 in it.
    Scully talking to Dogget (Robert Patrick) on the phone: If anyone could come to terms with a man made of liquid metal I thought it would be you.

:lol::lol:

7. The Green Mushroom

The Green Mushroom Commander Red Shirt

Not to be overly harsh, but....

Your question is valid, though I can't really answer it. At first I did watch the X-Files for the episodes about Aliens but eventually realized that the one off monster of the week episodes were better. Then I realized that no one had any clue what the Aliens were up to and the whole thing became a convoluted mess. But that's another story.

My point is this, am I misreading and over analyzing the title, or does this thread imply that science fiction only deals with machines and technology? I just can't begin to state how weird such an implication is.

8. ReadyAndWilling

thanks

are there any others out there involving machines?

i just finished watching 'salvage' and the ending sucked....

9. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

You're looking for episodes with nasty nature and science gone awry - at least, that's the impression I get. On that basis, I recommend these episodes from seasons 1-5:

S1: eps 3 and 21 - Squeeze and Tooms
    Ice (ep 8)
    Eve (ep 11)
    Young at Heart (ep 16)
    Darkness Falls (ep 20)

S2: The Host (ep 2)
    Firewalker (ep 9)
    Aubrey (ep 12)
    Soft Light (ep 23)

S3: 2Shy (ep 6)

S4: Teliko (ep 3)

S5: Kill Switch (ep 11)
    The Pine Bluff Variant (ep 18)

There are other episodes I could include, such as "Blood" from S2 or "Wetwired" from S3, but they also feature an element of government conspiracy which is more prominant in the story. "Squeeze"/"Tooms", "The Host", "2Shy" and "Teliko" all feature freakish genetic mutations, like Leonard Betts.

10. GemHaters

GemHaters Captain

:guffaw:Oh God, that was awesome! They just couldn't help themselves!

11. ReadyAndWilling

awesome man, thanks. yah this is what i was looking for.

i didn't articulate my taste very well, but you summed it up with 'science or nature gone awry'.

i'll get on to watching those eps. i remember an ep where a family from the american civil war eats babies.. does this ring a bell? they called the war 'the war of northern aggression'.

12. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

There's only one episode that I can think of that deals with both babies and the Civil War - "Home." The Civil War reference is important because the family lives in the same house that their ancestors did - still without running water, electricity, and other advancements. They weren't eating babies, however; they had been interbreeding with one another since the Civil War, and an investigation into the death of a deformed baby is what leads Mulder and Scully to them.

If you watch that episode, I'd recommend having a strong disposition. It's incredibly disturbing, and is the only episode of the series I haven't watched a second time when doing a series rewatch.

13. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

"Home" is terrifying.
    Probably one of the most memorable pieces of television ever.
    I certainly can't forget it.

14. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I still laugh at that bit. Don't know how they kept straight faces. I doubt it was done in one take.

15. sojourner

^well, they were talking by phone, so I am guessing that took a lot of the potential for ruining the scene out of it.

16. ReadyAndWilling

yah that 'home' ep was really well done. how the hell did the x-files draw such big numbers in the 90's?

one other question i had was the 'monster of the week' eps. i'm watching 'ghost in the machine' and it's great, but i don't understand why they never re-visit these eps. it always ends on a cliffhanger.

thanks

17. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

It was simply something that XF tended to do a lot; the nature of the weird threats they came across were probably more scary if there was a chance that one day, they may rise again to become a threat once more. A couple of episodes defintely seemed to suggest that their monster of the week was due to return, but this actually happened only a very small number of times (three iirc, not including mythology-related threats).

18. sojourner

First sentence answers the second.

19. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

That, and a lot less competition helped too.

20. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Some shows are just so well done that people just flock to it every week. But then again some shows are just as well done and no one watches. It just is...hard to figure out the why of it.