Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Jiraiya, May 9, 2009.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The only CGI models we have seen of the E-D so far, from 3 different sources looks better than the physical models. That's all I care about...and that's what we should see for the remastering. If they could be done on the scale of ST 09, that would have been amazing but probably out of place, so I am happy with ENT, HD quality.

RAMA

2. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

'Better' because they are more painterly, or better because they look less like a physical object?

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Mainly because of the reason I stated before: They retain the grace and lines of the 6ft model yet have the detail of the 4ft model. The superior resolution over the existing footage is a given. Add to that a greater range of shots and motion and you have a superior product for the remastering.

RAMA

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Isn't the grace (such as it is, or isn't) of the big -D due mainly to the fact that it doesn't have the bulbously obvious detail of the 4fter?

And I'm REALLY not getting the resolution issue, since you haven't got a medium that comes remotely close to 35mm resolution for this cg work you speak of.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The point IS in CGI you don't NEED the exaggerated detail that loses the lines from the larger model...they look seemlessly integrated.

RAMA

6. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, that was the only one I got wrong--I thought it was CGI.

7. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

Except that what you got wasn't the models, but the pictures with the lowest resolution. Which just happens to be mostly the models.

So is every model work since Star Wars, as I've rather pointed out.

Yes, that's what I said, however, model work is no different. What then needs changing is the way Special Effects people create (most notably space based) special effects; NOT say that CGI can't look anything but fake.

In case you hadn't noticed, but the nacelle is in focus, it's however blurred by motion blur. It's in motion, tumbling on end, and rather fast too. Which means that indeed, the runabout is ACTUALLY hanging still. Besides which, I didn't say anything about the runabout or particle effects, what I said was, that the the Galaxy Class looks like a physical real object, a model - more a genuine ship - and it does.

The model is as flat as you can get. The shadows and light are completely contrary to light sources, making it look completely out of place, as well as having no depth.

If only the average model-using SFX people of the past few decades had a lot of training to remember what reality should look like - and the producers to never tell them otherwise - we would actually have good SFX still. Like TOS, shots would be composed lit, and motion brought in, to highlight the fact that the ship is a three dimensional object. They haven't in decades. Besides which; done right, the CGI folks will also let the lens do the work. It's just that they're lens will be a virtual one, not a physical one in a camera.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

The 'producers controlling lighting' thing was really prevalent on TNG early on. The quote I remember from Probert or Justman in an early STARLOG special was that the lighting on the -D will look realistic if the ship happens to be in a star system with 10 or 12 suns.

9. Gary Sebben

Gary Sebben Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Whatever, dude. Don't tell me how I knew one from another. I explained to you what tipped me off. You're ignoring my response in order to not come off as a doof. You're failing.

It doesn't look like motion blur. It looks like a full on Gaussian blur. If you have to tell me its a motion blur then its not very good.

[/QUOTE]what I said was, that the the Galaxy Class looks like a physical real object, a model - more a genuine ship - and it does.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't, for the reasons that I already addressed about the actual model in the previous post..

That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. But saying the opposite of what I said is not really making a point. It's just being a contrarian.

Doesn't explain why all you're CG shots completely lack any depth of field.

10. 3D Master

3D Master Rear Admiral

No, you're ignoring my response, because I already explained that you're little detail concept is flawed. First, you called one CGI image a model shot or better CGI when it is in fact just a low quality CGI, and another CGI shot didn't have any details because they were blurred out by motion blur.

Or you barely gave it a glanse, saw something blurry and claimed it was out of focus, or you don't even know what motion blur is. The fact that the nacelle is motion blurred is easy to see, as the far away parts are blurred more than the parts closer to the middle of the picture/Runabout. It's tumbling around an axis and the axis is close to the middle, as a result the far side is moving faster in relationship to the camera than the middle part is. It's easy to see unless you glanse at it only a moment.

No, you haven't. You have not discussed a single CGI model.

No, being contrarion is just saying the opposite without any explanation. I actually explained to you why it is flat and out of place.

Except that the better ones don't lack that depth of field; in fact the better ones have better depth of field than the model shots.

11. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Would you and Gary Sebben please continue your debate about CGI models vs physical models here:
    Computer-animated, or models on strings? on this other TNG thread. or in the Trek Art forum.

For any TNG remastering that would recreate and render any new CGI visual effects it would not be done by ILM but by CBS Digital, the same people who did the TOS-R.
    Your discussion is not furthering the Star Trek TNG Remastered? thread.

12. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Since you seem to be able to tell what's CG and what's miniature...

Can you tell what elements in this image are CG?

[​IMG]

13. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

I can, but that's only because I've seen the elements separately ... you can't really tell because the miniature elements have been so crapped on in the 2K that they might as well be whole cloth mediocre CG.

EDIT ADDON: oh yeah, was your post made just to tick off the poster before yours, who rightfully would like the thread to contain info about TNG ReMastered?

THAT is the real crime of it all ... people expect miniatures to not look great because after scanning at 2K and comping, they don't look any better than CG.

Do these shots at full 35mm rez and you'd see great miniatures and crappy cg ships

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In fact CG looks better than models now at any resolution. As one can see in the latest issue of Cinefex, the new Enterprise exists at a level of believable photorealistic detail that enables the "camera" POV to get much closer to the surface than was ever possible with the old models.

15. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

This is the TNG forum, not a FanFiction thread.

16. Gepard

If you've got work done by quality artists--like the folks who worked on Trek XI--Dennis is right. On the other hand, you can also get images like the one ST-One posted, which, were it not for your statement that you'd seen the model elements as part of your job, I would've thought came from some kind of fan-film.

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Didn't see it as part of a job, just in a book I bought. It IS from the last SW prequel, ain't it? Same company that did Abrams' thing?

18. ST-One

ST-One Vice Admiral

Well, it's an actual image from ROTS.
    And, yes, there is a huge quality difference between what ILM did on that film and what they did on Star Trek.

19. Gepard

ILM, yes. They just did a much better job in Trek XI.

20. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd guess because a) there's a lot less of it to do (Abrams' wanted the movie to feel as REAL as possible) and b) they had waaay more time to tweak it and make sure it was perfect