X-Files Bombs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by mswood, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Including worldwide, it did. I realize X-Files doesn't have those numbers yet.

2. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Serenity almost made it's money back, including world wide. It was $130,000 dollars short of its $39,000,000 budget. That doesn't include distribution costs or advertising (which was minimal). That also doesn't include DVD or television sales.

The X-Files cost less than Serenity ($30 million vs. $39 million), but, as you say, we haven't seen the international numbers yet.

3. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

No, it wasn't. It just wasn't the movie you wanted to see. We get that quite thoroughly now, thanks.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

All I can do is give you a big shrug.

:big shrug:

Sorry I'm, apparently, not allowed to voice my opinion.

5. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

The franchise has been dead. For ten years. It's part of the reason this movie bombed.

6. clonewarrior

clonewarrior Ensign

check it out i think you'll like it

7. clonewarrior

clonewarrior Ensign

Well i for one was bored with TDK big time , while IWTB kept my attention, more intense int the gut wise

TDK is the POTC of 2008, great money maker

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Um, no but thanks for sharing.
    TDK is style and substance.
    POTC was only style, if you call it that.

9. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lets face it The Xfiles is not Trek. It has dated more, fans have fallen away leaving only the die hards. You can pick up a season of it on Amazon.uk for on average £15 ($30) where as The origional series new costs £23 ($46) and is even being reissued with new effects as most of you know. Star Trek is shown on TV more around the world.
    I think the show ran too long on TV. they should have called it a day after season 7
    That said I would still like to see it. Not sure I want to pay to see it at Fulham cinema though.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The X-Files is on two different cable networks and with 200+ people still aren't bored watching the show as is, it's true that same can't said for Star Trek where people wanted more Star Trek inn less than 5 years afer it was cancelled.

11. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The Numbers (a website I just discovered today--shame on me, I know) lists the second X-Files movie as costing $35,000,000 (more than Box Office Mojo reports), but also includes the international numbers. At $39,483,429 domestic+international the movie has grossed more than Serenity did in its entire release and has gone past the published budget (although not into the realm of true profitability, either).

Still, better than I thought, and, as I expected, slightly bigger overseas than in the States.

12. the_wildcard

the_wildcard Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they should have done more marketing and publicity about it. I didn't even see any movie trailer for it, until a TV ad like 3 weeks before the release.

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Trying to keep the plot a secret backfired on them. No one was interested.

14. Runningman

Runningman Cadet

i didn't see much subtance in TDK, while BatBegins-yes , TDK nope, even Iron Man with its limited scope did a better job

TDK was all over the map, and Joker as all style, The Harvey Dent/Two Face angle was done well however

What substance do you see in TDK?

15. Runningman

Runningman Cadet

This I totally agree with.

While i was happy to go in and be surprised. It appears BUZZ was lost - since nothing to discuss.

I'm surprised that people would rather know the plot before hand. I mean we know its x-files so that's a good amount of info already

16. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Are all people inherently evil or prone to doing wrong? The ferry boat people vs Two Face

How much power is too much power? The phone tapping survellience.

Can one man make a difference? Yes, both ways. Batman marshalling the forces of good and reducing crime. Joker, regrouping the mobs.

17. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually it highly doubtful that it will reach 20 million by the end of its third week end. It will most likely end between 19.3 to 19.6 million (thats assuming it doesn't lose theaters, which either happens this week or next and its going to lose a lot)

Based on its performance this last week and the week before. Its not going to even make 25 million US.

Serenity by the end of its 3rd weekend had already made 22.3 million. X-Files is going to be down 2.5 million and losing ground for the rest of its release. I think it will end between 22.5 and 24 million and no higher.

Of course its doing better overseas (where the first film did as well, something Serenity didn't do at all). And should cover its production, marketing and printing cost.

But considering sequels are design to make 2/3 of the amount of the last sequel. That Fox originally set an opening mark of 15-20 million (which they back peddled to 15-17 million (once Dark Knight truly took off, then 13-15 million (when they got their first Friday numbers), ad the film still performed far below expectations. Then to fall (and literally all but two of its days) with higher percentage then all but one film.

As for the terms flop and bombs in the business they don't mean just losing money (though they can). X-Files is considered by the industry (and they are the experts) a flop and a bomb, because it failed to meet any expectations. It will deliver a death blow to what was once a lucrative franchise (assuming they don't strike gold on DVD and that the overseas reports don't start multiplying).

Many films that make a small profit are considered flops and bombs, and some films that make a small profit are considered sleeper hits. All based on expectations for that film.

18. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

I watched it yesterday because I liked the series and had nothing better to do, so my opinion on why the film was a failure at the box office is: It was a piece of shit. Boring, unentertaining and stupid; trapped in its own formalisms and the story simply didn't make any sense. It deserved to "bomb".

19. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Ouch!

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know how people can say Serenity ads were "minimum", I saw them everywhere and they spent 10 million on ads. So it was 10.13 million dollars away from making it's money back.