Why did Kirk tell Gaila "That's weird"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by rbnn, Jun 10, 2009.

1. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Shatner, yes. TOS Kirk, no.

2. Kirk1980

Kirk1980 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the editing room floor....

"...I usually last longer than five seconds!"

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk says it because he has no real answer for her. He says the same thing to Spock on the Jellyfish when the ship greets nuSpock thinking he's old Spock.

4. gimpy117

gimpy117 Commander Red Shirt

because when you really aren't that into a girl and when they start telling you "they love you" you get weirded out...hence the "weird" :rolleyes: trust me..happening to me as I speak...

5. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think its because she was the "unattainable uber hot chick" that while she'd bang anything with a dick, they didn't last more than one night.

Kirk ol' boy was "special"

6. Sabataage

Sabataage Commander Red Shirt

I took the "That is so wierd" reaction to mean this is not the first time a girl has said that to Kirk. This pattern likely began not long after wrecking his uncle's convertable and getting arrested-- everyone loves the bad boy. I think his surprised was because she's the first space alien who's ever said that to him. Based on The Original Series, this appears to be the first in a long line of beautiful extraterrestrial women to fall in love with Kirk in after a short period of time. Its a character trait, at this point, like Chekov's "nuclear wessels".

7. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

She's dead. Either way he's safe.

8. Thelin

Thelin Lieutenant Red Shirt

Could be that he simply thought it weird that she didn't realize what their, uh, relationship was.

Or simply it's something he says when he's got nothing else. You guys mentioned he said the phrase more than once throughout the movie. Sounds like it may just be his...dead air filler.

Can't you see the scenario where McCoy left something in the fridge and finds it missing. Turning to Kirk he says, "My brandy is missing!" And Kirk just shrugs saying, "That's so weird." :techman:

9. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as I know, Jim said "That's weird" to Spock in the Jellyfish and "That is so weird" to Gaila, and that's all.

I just saw the movie again tonight, and clearly Jim is not referring to Gaila saying she loved him. He starts to explain what he meant; but before he can, Uhura comes in.

10. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't think so.

It's the clichee of women overprojecting their feelings for what clearly is only a fling or at best an affair (i can't see young Kirk entering a serious relationship at this phase in his life) so she said the L-word to him and he was clearly taken by suprise.

So his weird line was just the first thing that came to his mind as a way to gain more time to think of something appropriate to say to either claim his "love" without actually saying it or doing the "manly" thing and clarifiying that he just wants an affair with no strings attached (which might get him hit and thrown out of the room in his undies).

Before that came to pass Uhura enters the room and we get on with the movie.

11. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

A little off topic, but do we know for certain that Gaila was an Orion? Yes, she's got green skin, but there are a lot of pink skinned lifeforms out there. It's possible that Orions are not the only green skinned species.

Any evidence either way?

12. Sanae

Sanae Lieutenant Red Shirt

To be honest, I think that he said 'that's so weird' because he seriously believed that Orion girls couldn't fall in love at all so he found what Gaila said to him weird. I don't think usual human female clichés apply to Orion females at all....but that's just me. :p

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's probably the first time he's slept with her. That would be a little awkward for me.

14. Jeri

FPAlpha, I've seen the movie 15 times. Kirk is not thinking about what she said to him.

And as I said before, Kirk EXPECTS women to say they love him. It wouldn't be a surprise.

15. charliehorse43

charliehorse43 Ensign Newbie

The novel says she is an Orion.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2009
  16. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

Yeah I mean if that's what the writers wanted him to say he would of said it...this is not real life where the conversation got interrupted.

It didn't...Kirk didn't have sex with an Orion in TOS ...as a matter of fact his playboy reputation is perhaps unwarranted. Recently saw a website (courtesy of Indranee) where someone broke down Kirk's sex action episode by episode.....more often than not he used his charm with the ladies to get the Enterprise out of a jam...not to satisfy his own desires and wants.

If someone tells me they love me too soon it is a complete turnoff...but I've never responded with a "that's weird"...I think that line has nothing to do with her declaration of love for Kirk.

True, true...but do you actually say that to the person's face??? Did you tell this chick you're having troubles with "that's weird" after she said I love you? I think it would be weird to say that's wierd...LOL.

LO - frikkin L

17. xman

xman Commander Red Shirt

I imagine that this is not the first time Kirk has been told by an Orion woman that they love him which would be a rich irony considering the effect they usually have on men. Kirk is an Orion pheromone free zone. :guffaw:

X

18. Jeri

Gail's not dead for sure; I watched last night to ascertain no one said what ship she was on -- and they didn't. I'm wishing she were on the Enterprise.

19. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess Kirk was not that smooth-talking by that point in his life (well, he certainly was not 3 years before in the bar)... I took it as something that he said because he didn't know what else to say.

But it was obviously also a setup for the beautiful girl to turn the lights on, so the audience gets to see that she's a green alien.. punchline "Did you just say, "this is so weird"?" :lol:

He came close to being seduced by one in Whom Gods Destroy... but then she ruined it by trying to kill him! :lol:

It's true that he did not have that much sex... in some cases he flirted with some alien/android/crazy women for other purposes... and in a couple others, he actually fell in love but didn't get to do anything before the woman (or female android) tragically (and so conviently for the show) dies... The curse of disposable love interests!

20. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

^^^ RE: whom gods destroy...was he really going to do her for his own pleasure or was it to enlist her aid in their effort to escape...? I believe it's the latter....?