So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean Lorrah. I've always wondered why writers feel the constant need for Vulcans to "humanize" themselves in order to endear themselves to the audience whether that be as an ally or an antagonist. It's always annoyed me that it seemed like humans had this knack for getting emotions out of Vulcans in situations that I think really shouldn't be beyond Vulcan control.

Some examples.
    1. The way Archer seemed to "piss off" Soval at times.
    2. Sisko and the crew getting the old Vulcan classmate all pissed off over a baseball game. This one is the worst, I've been subjected to trash talk from bitter rivals in high school and was able to supres any emotional response. You're telling me this seasoned Vulcan can't?
    3. Kirk causing Sendet to get snippy in the novel I mentioned above when he adds him to his list of suspects.
    4. T'Pol just throws everything out the window on Enterprise so I don't even know if she is worth bringing up.
    5. Spock did a great job throughout TOS but seemed like a participant at open mic night at the local comedy club in the later movies.

Just something I noticed when reading this book.

The reason I say this is because Data was able to retain his stoic demeanor throughout the entire TNG series while remaining a dynamic character. Why couldn't they just have a rigid Vulcan that can maintain emotional control throughout?

2. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of David R. George III's Allegiance in Exile. Enjoyed, for the most part. I'm definitely a fan of his work, and I'm looking forward to his entry in The Fall series this, well, fall.

In the last little while, I've read The Vulcan Academy Murders by Jean Lorrah, The Belly of the Beast, Fatal Error, Hard Crash, and Interphase (parts one and two) from the SCE series for the first time (loving this series, by the way!), and John Vornholt's A Time to Be Born. Reviews for all of these are coming. Eventually!

Right now, I'm going back and forth between F. Scott Fitzgerald's modern classic, The Great Gatsby, and The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson for a book club I've joined.

3. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

You could add Selar and Soleta to your list.

But how about Tuvok? His emotional outbursts in VOY were infrequent (e.g. Suder's mind meld). Though his walls have come down in TTN.

4. Use of Time

I'm sure there are several examples in the novels as well. Thanks for pointing that out. As I finished The Vulcan Academy Murders there were several more examples I found by the time that book finished.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think Soleta should be included there, she's not a full Vulcan.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

She's half-Vulcan, half-Romulan, which means she's 100% Vulcan by species. The differences between Vulcans and Romulans are cultural, not genetic (aside from some cosmetic differences which would be equivalent to ethnic variations). So her biology (or Saavik's) should have no bearing whatsoever on her personality. Vulcan control is a matter of upbringing. A pure Vulcan raised by Romulans would act like a Romulan, and vice-versa.

7. Use of Time

Sure but the original question stands. Off all the races Vulcans have encountered, humans seem to be able to push the right buttons to get an emotional response.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens's superb Soval-Forrest scene in "The Forge" may shed some light on that:

9. Use of Time

That is actually perfect and the closest thing we will probably get to an answer on that question. I should have known to go back to Enterprise for this.

10. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Finished Allegiance in Exile, now onto the second Titan novel, The Red King.

11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished Trial By Error I really liked the story and how the Ds9 characters were written in this book.The story takes between season 4 & 5 When the Kligons and Cardassians weren't getting along and the Dominion is a threat..I'm now reading book 1 of Kevin Ryan's Errand of Fury Miniseries.Seeds of Fury.I've only read a few chapters but I like how the story of the tension between the Starfleet and the Klingons is written and how the organins will be become involved in one of the other books in this series.

12. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's been awhile since I read the book, but this conversation inspired me to get the audiobook from the library. I agree with you about making too much out of the estate's authorization; I don't think that makes it anything more than a pastiche either. But I've read a few pastiches in my time, and this is definitely one of the better ones. So I liked it purely on those grounds.

As for my reading, I just started a book called The Floating Admiral...written by a whole bunch of authors! Back in the Golden Age of detective fiction, circa 1930s, many of the best-selling writers of the day (including Agatha Christie and Dorothy L. Sayers) were part of an informal group called The Detection Club. And one day someone got the crazy idea to write a collaborative novel. Each writer produced a chapter, handed it on to the next writer, and so on. The solution was not foreseen at the outset, so the last person had to tie everything together. In addition, each contributor handed in their own solution in a sealed envelope to be printed at the back of the book. It sounds like a giant mess...but really it was just a game they played with themselves for their own amusement. And it couldn't have been that bad because they did it a couple more times. :)

13. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

I'm currently reading Mosaic by Jeri Taylor, it's a pretty solid biography on future captain Janeway.

14. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just got an advance copy of Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel. Can't wait to start reading it.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Lucky Bast***! Looking forward to that one, let us know what you think Greg.

16. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Enjoyed the dedication? :)

17. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I absolutely loved that scene. That was the moment when Enterprise totally turned around as a show for me. (What's the reverse of jumping the shark? ;) )

...And just to keep my post from getting waaaay off topic:

I'm about a third of the way through Star Wars now, and hoping that my library will be able to fill my request for Star Wars: Scoundrels in time for me to jump in to that when I finish it. If they don't, I'm planning on reading some S.C.E. while I'm waiting, starting with Enigma Ship (in the Book Six: Wildfire collection).

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Indeed! (And Tony sent me an autographed copy, too!)

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished the first Eureka novel, Substitution Method a few minutes ago. Here's my review from Shelfari:
    I rated it 4/5 stars on Shelfari.

20. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Currently reading Da Chen's "My Last Empress"....(which isn't a very good read, so far)....but previously enjoyed reading a few of the "Bird of Prey" comic collections...