NuTrek references in the novels

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Noddy, Sep 30, 2013.

1. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

[​IMG]

The only Trek that matters. :cool:

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Who's this Pike guy? Robert April is the captain! And why are they calling the navigator Tyler instead of Ortegas? And how dare they call it the Enterprise when everyone knows it's the Yorktown?

3. Noddy

Noddy Captain

But wasn't NuSpock stay at the Academy and (re?)design and oversee the Kobayashi Maru simulation during the time period the novel is set?

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

The entire franchise from the end of 'The Cage' forward is nothing but a Talosian telepathic illusion.

5. Christopher

I never took it that Spock had been teaching at the Academy that entire time. After all, he'd only been out of the Academy for four years as of the events of the 2009 film, and he would've had to gain some prior starship experience in order to be qualified to serve as the Enterprise's first officer.

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Those Talosians were also responsible for the disappearing Chuck in "Happy Days", and for Pam's dream that the freshly-showered Bobby Ewing interrupted in "Dallas".

7. Christopher

^Tommy Westphall is really a zoo exhibit on Talos IV.

8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Yes, you would think so... but then, Kirk. :lol:

I know it probably doesn't really count for anything, but the promotional "dossier" for Spock that was on the official movie site back in 2009 says:

It doesn't really go into any previous assignments. And I know it's hardly a "canonical" source... I just don't know of any other source that might have touched on nuSpock's career history.

9. Noddy

Noddy Captain

I think it would be more like 5 years since he graduated in the new reality, assuming he joined in 2249, and was there for the standard four years of training. "The Cage" took place in 2254, so Spock Prime would only have been out of the academy for about a year.

10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

No, he's one of the illusions

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not to mention pre-'09 novels which flukishly feature very nuTrek-ish things, like Kirk's Red Bull space jumping in Captain's Peril. How dare they write something that reads like a movie reference years later!

12. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Imagine had they took Killing Time as a reference point.

Nah....

Huh...okay....

Okay, Best Destiny...

Damn it!

Anyone have a list of books they used? Cause I'm seeing a lot of old Trek contaminating Nu-Trek.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, Orci & Kurtzman specifically named "Spock's World", "Final Frontier", "Best Destiny", "Enterprise: The First Adventure", "Prime Directive" and "Ex Machina", plus the TAS episode, "Yesteryear", as favourites/influences.

Found some references:

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/uncategorized/star-trek-screenwriters-pick-their-fave-trek-novels/

http://trekweb.com/articles/2009/04...boutnbspTheir-Favorite-Star-Trek-Novels.shtml

14. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    You think I would love it if only I'd watch it? :rolleyes:

I saw the 2009 movie when it came on TV. Yes, I loathed it. Most of the actors come across like plastic models. Wesley - I mean Chekov - is ridiculous. McCoy (the actor looks like a dead ringer for the actor who played Gary Mitchell, btw), running around, jamming hypos into Kirk every chance he gets? It was probably supposed to be funny, but it just seemed stupid. The list of what I hate about it goes on and on.

Yeah, I'll watch STID - when I can see it for free, since I don't think it's worth spending money on. After all, if I'm going to complain about it, I should know what there is to complain about. From what I've seen here, it's full of pointless explosions, and they've ripped off a lot of TWoK (thereby showing that they don't seem able to come up with any original plots). Oh, and nuCarol really needs to eat a sandwich or a dozen. From the photos posted here, she looks anorexic.

I knew that.

If you mix the two indiscriminately, you confuse the readers who are unfamiliar with what they haven't seen.

At least I guess we should be thankful that there were no pointless sex changes of the characters like they did with nuBSG.

Yeah, I've read that book several times. I never saw "Here Come the Brides" and had actually never heard of it before reading the book. So that part wasn't what annoyed me. It was the Doctor Who reference (the race who live in the "constellation of Kasterborus", aka the Gallifreyans) that annoyed me, since the in-universe physics and Earth history of Doctor Who and Star Trek are completely incompatible.

I enjoyed this novel. But remember that at the end of the story, everything was reset to the proper timeline.

I've gone on record on this forum as stating that (in my opinion, of course) basically everything Diane Carey has written is written badly, and I really don't like it.

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

With all due respect to Dirk Benedict, I'll take Katee Sackhoff as Starbuck anyday! :)

16. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A-MEN!

Except with a TINY bit less respect to Dirk Benedict than you're giving him. ;)

17. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Considering that I was in high school when Battlestar Galactica was on TV and had a poster of Dirk Benedict on my bedroom wall, I think it's understandable that we disagree on the actors. But my point is that there was no point to the sex changes between original BSG and nuBSG.

At least nuTrek didn't make Uhura male and McCoy female, for example.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

But as long as it works, what difference does it make? NuStarbuck was a great character in her own right. Who cares if the old version was a man? That was then; this is now. Ditto for turning Boomer into a woman. Didn't hurt the show at all.

None of this stuff is sacred or untouchable. I mean, look at ELEMENTARY. They made Dr. Watson an Asian-American woman and it works just fine. Fidelity to the original source is hardly mandatory, as long as you can reinvent the stories and characters in an engaging way.

(Oh, just to date myself, I was in college when the first BSG debuted and I had a poster of Boris Karloff in my dorm room. Not quite the same thing as Dirk Benedict, I admit!)

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Since we're sharing.

I was in my freshman year of college and my walls had posters of the Beatles, Star Wars (the cool one by Hildebrandt) and Linda Ronstadt. The door had one of James T. Kirk. (door sized). BSG? Perish the thought.

20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Point is, like the sources of not, they put in the effort to build the reboots on the foundations of Trek's past and didn't just limit themselves to the movies and TV shows. You can argue with the presentation, but the heart was there in the effort.

As for STID being a TWOK rip off: Anyone that has seen the movie and says that with a straight face is just bitching to bitch. Khan, and his backstory, and one scene aside, the movie is its own story not a remake of TWOK or Space Seed.