Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Probably true on not wanting to retool (not really fair to say the first run was "aborted" though, unless you think it was always intended to be limited to a small area of England!). It wasn't just the sculpt though - having seen it in person now, the flat grey paint is pretty ugly. If they were going for a solid colour without "aztec pattens", they needed to break out the pearlescent paints for the TMP ship.

The interesting part of this, I suppose, is that the Enterprise-A was on the provisional list of ships separately. I suppose we'll really see their commitment to accuracy when they get there - will they sculpt anew for more accuracy, or just repaint the issue 2 model?

2. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise-A is quite a while away, so they likely won't go down the Diamond Select route, the A will have a better modelling job. The TMP model looks exactly like the one from the previous, failed run.

But there are a heck of a lot of Enterprises in the collection if they make all of them.

NX-01
    1701 TOS
    1701 JJ (subscriber gift)
    1701 TMP
    1701-A
    1701-B
    1701-C
    1701-D
    1701-D AGT (subscriber gift)
    1701-E
    1701-J

3. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I hope to see them in stores.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It's not uncommon for a part-work to be released in one region of the country as a test to see if there is demand before it goes nationwide. However with the Internet these days it can make it harder to limited the release to one area.

Given what happened it seems as if they couldn't meet the demand due to subscribers who heard about it from other parts of the UK and subscribed to it.

5. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

We'll see. It was #63 on the provisional list (six before the TOS Enterprise!), but the order was heavily reshuffled by the time they confirmed the first 30, so how much that means is arguable.

Oh, if they wanted to go properly Enterprise-crazy, there's more - straight away, there's the ISS Enterprise (using the pilot version of the TOS Enterprise, since TOS-R used their "The Cage" mesh for the Mirror ship?). And, on a more marginal note, if they're talking about the pizza cutter (J) whose exterior was barely glimpsed on a monitor, Drexler's NX-01 refit, there's the Enterprise XCV-330 "ring ship" (glimpsed on a wall picture in TMP) and even the Star Trek Online Enterprise-F (virtual Sovereign refit that it is).

Yeah, Trek fans are both enthusiastic and web-literate. Whoda thunk it? [Not Eaglemoss, apparently!]

6. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Enterprise J is going to be based on the first Drex design, the Drex Files isn't around anymore to get the CGI render shots he took but there is a model to use.

The ISS Enterprise's are very rare in any form, and all renditions of the TOS Enterprise tend to be the 2266 version.

As for the Ring Ship, it would be hard to make and there is already a die cast model of it coming out for Into Darkness after it's appearance in it (the model I mean).

7. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm hoping that the -A model will be remodeled or at least heavily repainted. It definitely needs the Azteking.

And as for all these Enterprise models being made, I have no doubt that they will. The only one that is even doubtful in my mind is the -J.

8. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Jay is already on the list and not all that far down it.

9. toughlittleship

toughlittleship Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hope Sisko's Bajoran lightship gets released... and gets called Baraka like it was in the episode script.

10. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's in the lineup

11. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

An -J model would be awesome, but it's unlikely...

12. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Great. That is a sharp looking ship.

13. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

This one? (This was the one he referred to as the "approved" version)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

True. One of the reasons the 2254/Mirror version of the ship is in some ways more interesting. And, hell, if they're going to do both the 2271 refit *and* the Enterprise-A, they could certainly do both the 2266 ship and the (slightly darker) Mirror ship.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  14. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think we need a ton of variations on a single ship, not when there are so many ships that have never had a proper miniature made of them before.

For the 1701, I think the version we saw for most of TOS' run, plus the movie refit is enough.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Weren't there two different configurations of the nacelle aft ends in the original NCC-1701 -- one with a dome and one without? The configuration changed after "The Cage" was filmed, IIRC.

ETA: This site has a good list of the differences: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/tos_ships.htm

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

There were three - the grille came first (Cage), then there was the version with the rectangular greeble covering over the grille (WNMHGB?), followed by the ball for the full production run.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Three.
    Cage - 2245
    WNMHGB - 2263
    Series - 2266-69

Several times during the series they use footage of the WNMHGB version of the ship departing (aft view) which shows the older nacelles, but most show the correct 2266 configuration. Stock footage and all that.

And yup, SoM, that's the version of the Jay they'll be bringing out sometime next year. Drexler rendered several views of the ship that show the underside and aft of the ship too.

And today on their Facebook page they posted some photos of the finalised model of the Thunderchild that arrived at their office this morning.

She's the one model I want most out of the collection so it's pretty awesome to finally see her.

18. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

The Thunderchild looks awesome! Yeah, I am now fully convinced that the refit Enterprise was an aberration hold-over from the previous limited run. The quality of these newer ships far exceeds it. Personally, if I were the Eaglemoss CEO, I would have hired a batch of high-school summer interns to paint the front of each model to make it look more accurate before they were released. Yeah, it would have cost a little bit of extra money, but it wouldn't have been that big a deal. Oh, well...no matter. Looking forward to these. Hopefully we'll start seeing them here in the 'States next month.

19. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Another very nice ship. My hopes for seeing Titan of the Luna class eventually are still high. :techman:

20. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eaglemoss has posted some pictures of the Finalized Akira model. She's bad ass. Go to link in my sig.