How long does it take to learn to type on an iphone?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by hxclespaulplayer, Feb 18, 2013.

1. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

I've tried out the various generations of iphones several times since 2009 and have just never been able to get used to the on-screen keyboard. I made a desperate search for a blackberry last week, but no such luck, got an iphone on a contract. It's infuriating, and I don't really have overly large hands for a guy:

http://i46.tinypic.com/vhvul5.jpg
    http://i50.tinypic.com/28akvfs.jpg

Nine times out of every ten, my thumb (I'm assuming I'm meant to use my thumbs, since the phone is held with fingers) touches the key next to the one I want, even in landscape mode. It takes about three minutes to type a five-word sentence. It's a great product, but I've had it a week now and just cannot use it for texting or facebook. Looks like I'll have to try and get rid of it and suck up the contract cost, putting its sim in an unlocked blackberry :(

2. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

they key is to use a light touch. If you press on it, the tip of your thumb will squish and make a larger contact with the screen and increase the chances of hitting the wrong key.

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I had a good phone that was touchscreen plus physical keyboard, when I went to research a replacement I told them at the store I wanted a similar phone. They assured me that after the quick learning curve it was easy to use full touchscreen phones. I scoffed and waited longer. Eventually I gave in and bought an excellent HTC phone which doesn't get much press: the Amaze(AKA Ruby) Android. Totally touchscreen, I improved the keyboard interface with Swiftkey, and it actually allows you to make the keys bigger which is useful for my big fingers. Very happy outcome.

RAMA

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I have large hands and an iPhone, and I've never had never a problem typing. I occasionally hit a wrong key, but Auto Correct usually fixes it for me. My old Samsung had a touchscreen, and you could calibrate it to learn your typing patterns to allow for more accuracy. Not sure if the iPhone has a similar feature.

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I don't know if Samsung has a stock app or uses the Android app, but the predictive capabilities of Swiftkey is way better than the stock app on my phone, I can't even use the old one anymore. It's one of only 3 apps I've paid for.

6. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Swiftkey is good if you like customization. If you don't, an ever better KB are the ones ported from the recent stock Android builds. It will actually make you angry that HTC, Samsung and LG ripped the Android KB out and shoved into their own inferior replacements.
    Search the Play Store for ICS Keyboard or Jellybean Keyboard.

7. gturner

gturner Admiral

When I'm faced with a touchscreen I type using a neural interface by repeatedly bashing the phone against my skull.