Spoilers TNG: Death in Winter by Michael Jan Friedman Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Nov 28, 2013.

?

Rate Death in Winter

1. Outstanding

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Above Average

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  3. Average

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  4. Below Average

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. Poor

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. Spocky8492

Spocky8492 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Re: TNG: Death in Winter by Michael Jan Friedman Review Thread (Spoile

I don't remember it in details but I remember that I liked it. I remember also that I regretted that I didn't read the Stargazer books and Reunion before, because I didn't understood all the references.

2. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I finished this book about two weeks ago.

A fairly average story. The Stargazer crew cameos were nice to have, but didn't add much fuel to the larger story. I like the opening scenes that explained how Picard's genetic material ended up in Romulan hands for the Nemesis film, but the "repercussions" from that film were handled much better in the Titan series launch than here.

The Beverly/Jean-Luc romance was rather clumsy and felt a tad out-of-character during much of its resolution. I suppose I was just expecting more steak for all of the sizzle of the build-up. Friedman did a satisfactory job of summarizing their long history but failed to offer a fitting or deserved conclusion.

I should also echo other posts in this thread with the completely unnecessary Worf/Geordi "B" story. They literally went nowhere with their scheme.

[Death in Winter Drinking Game: take a drink every time the word "obviously" is used, down a shot every time you read the word "unfortunately." Guaranteed intoxication by page 50.]

I'm now on to Resistance by J. M. Dillard.

3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

5. Kilana2

6. drc

drc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Probably a reference to Picard's TV-era uniform on that cover.

7. Kilana2

Sorry, I can´t see any TV-era uniforms, neither on Beverly, nor on Picard. The uniforms are hardly recognizable.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^You can tell it's a TV-era uniform by the collar -- a black Mandarin collar with red edging, of a piece with the black material of the shoulders. The movie-era version would have a solid red, straight-topped collar that was part of an undershirt worn beneath a separate outer tunic with gray shoulders.

9. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

What I love about the book is that it put Picard and Chrusher together, which I had wanted for years. It is an average book, but the resulting story lines coming out of the book were exciting for me.

10. Kilana2

If you say so. You know what they say about Vorta: good hearing, weak eyesight. ;)

I have also found another design of that novel with Picard wearing something else. I don´t know which of the drafts they finally took, though. I don´t have my copy with me.

http://www.startrekromane.de/romane/star_trek_-_the_next_generation/tod_im_winter.html

11. Mizrach

Mizrach Lieutenant Red Shirt

A good book about politics and love, but you need to read "Reunion" before, for catching all the references.
    I didn't understand the subplot of ENT-E with Geordy, Worf and especially the appearance of Janeway. Anyone?
    The best part is the state of the Romulan Empire post-Nemesys. I'm curious about future development.
    Overall this is an "average" book, but it's also the first from MJ Friedman that satisfied me.

12. Alwaystrekkin

Alwaystrekkin Lieutenant Red Shirt

I read it about a year ago and liked it, should probably read it again sometime in the next year or so.

13. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really a disappointing start for post-Nemesis TNG. The things that stick are Sela being involved, Greyhorse being there too, Worf and Geordi being confined to the Enterprise, and Crusher and Picard finally getting together, and nothing about this book sticks for me, not about plot or character motivations.

Average is right, it's not good, it's not bad, it's just there, at least for me. And, hell, the end result is enough that one could go from watching Nemesis to reading Resistance with no trouble whatsoever - this book could be skipped over entirely with nothing of value really being lost in the process.

14. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my review of this novel. Not bad, not great. I was kind of underwhelmed, but did find some aspects of the novel interesting.

15. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I remember reading it in 2005. Pretty good book. But I remember Chapters computer system got my order screwed up, as mine was back ordered by about a month, when I saw the website was saying available. I finally emailed them and it turned out to be a glitch in their computers as their original warehouse for my region ran out, so the system should’ve sent my order to another Chspters warehouse, but instead it backordered it.