Simon and Schuster cuts 35 jobs

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jim Johnson, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Clawhammer

Clawhammer Commander Red Shirt

I just feel plain bad/angry at the moment! This is the worst season to loose a job. The best of luck to Marco!

2. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

Crap, crap, crap, f***ing crap. Specifically, and in general.

I was kind of looking forward to 2008 being over. But I fear 2009 is going to completely suck for the majority of people in this country.

3. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To echo the others on here, I was going to swear in every language I can think of, the result being:

:censored:

Marco, good luck with finding a new job quickly. With your success rate at Pocket, I would hope it shouldn't be hard. Do be sure to let us know where you end up so we might continue to aid in your success.

4. garamet

garamet Writer In Memoriam

Damn. Just damn. :(

5. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

Good lord! This is horrible news!

Marco's clearly good at what he does, I'm sure he'll bounce back from this terrible set back. I hope for his sake it's sooner rather than later.

6. tranya

tranya Commander Red Shirt

Wow, sorry to hear about everyone affected, especially Marco. Terrible news.

7. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dear land I hope not!!
    Or at least hopefully its just temporary! He's done a fantastic job for years! Who could replace him? He knows everything about the ST books (esp the DS9R) inside and out... !!!!!!!!!!

This is insane!! :wtf::( :mad::brickwall:

*Furious*

What if the future few years falls apart now!?!? *flails about in panic*
    He's done so well...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I and the other writers I've heard from are all very upset about this and very sad to lose Marco. He was pivotal in making Star Trek literature what it is today, and brought great innovation, sophistication, and quality to the line. But I'm sure that in the future, we'll all strive to live up to the standards he set for Trek lit. Still, it won't ever be quite the same.

9. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

That's crap. Marco did a great job while editing the Trek line and will be missed.

10. Rosalind

Rosalind TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod Admiral

Noooooooo! :scream: :scream: :scream: :( :( :(

Marco, I've enjoyed everything you've done with the Trek books over the years. Thank you for some wonderful reading experiences, thank you for participating in the forum here, and best of the luck for the future.

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm very sorry to hear this. I enjoyed working with Marco.

12. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

Let me echo the laments. Out of a number of SNW authors, Marco gave me more than a few pitches and chances to continue writing Star Trek lit.

Marco, thank you so much for your confidence and generosity. I know you'll land on your feet.

--Ted

13. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

It seems the credit crunch is biting everywhere :(

It is the same where my husband works: Less and less people are supposed to do more and more work.

I also hope that Marco will find new work soon. Good luck!

I will miss his contributions on this board and am grateful for what he did for the Star Trek literature. Hopefully his loss won`t affect the quality of future books.

14. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dean Smith, John Ordover and Marco Palmieri are the people who opened the door for me as a writer and, in Marco's case, shepherded me through some fairly significant learning patches.

He's a great guy and a damned creative editor. Awful lot of cool packed into that little frame.

He'll be fine.

But this still sucks.

:censored:

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Haven't known Marco long as an editor, but I had been looking forward to doing so more and more.

I don't *think* fans need fear too much damage to the line - Margaret Clark and the rest of the editorial team are still there - as for us writers, well, I I've written for lines that have gone through three or four editors in my time.

But, whichever way you cut it, it was a damned shitty way to handle the business and to treat your employees.

However, I'm sure, knowing Marco's CV, that he'll get himself a decent job fairly quickly - I certainly hope so.

And now I actually feel shitty about Reservoir Ferengi, which has a ship called the Golden Handshake and assorted references to cutting down on employees... Oh, the editorial team are going love the proofs of that...

16. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh dear God, no. :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

That's complete bu@#*#@. Not to take anything away from the other editors, but the books under Marco's stewardship were my favorite. There was just that extra *something* that he was able to bring out in his writers. Titan, Vanguard, DS9-R... an amazing run of quality. And where does this leave those series (particularly Vanguard?). Or David Mack's The Calling?

Damn damn damn. I hope that he finds a job soon. He was stellar at his job. S&S really screwed up on this one. :scream::scream::scream:

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

For what it's worth, anything that's already contracted (which would include every project announced to date and a few more things besides) will still be going forward. Beyond 2009, though, it's too early to say what will happen. Except that Trek fiction will continue to be published.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Well, basically I suspect it'll take things longer to be commissioned, because there's now fewer people with more of a workload...

19. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Not just the states it seems, unemployment levels are rising all across the developed world and this recession will bite far deeper and harder than the people in charge are willing or even able to accept.

And not the same thing at all Marco and everyone else with similar experiences, but I have been laid off before and it fucking sucks great big Targ balls regardless if it is December or June.

20. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Crapsticks.