Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard and the Trill captain from Intellivore visit a mountain range on Trill on the holodeck; this mountain range is mentioned in Unjoined. I don't remember if there are other ones, but I do remember that I e-mailed Martin and Mangels a list of Trill continuity points from Intellivore when they were working on Unjoined!

2. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

Ok so without going thru 11 pages of thread if I'm jumping on With the Destiny series, where would you go next ?

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Flowchart in my signature. Just follow the arrows from there :)

A Singular Destiny is probably your best bet for reading immediately next, but on that flowchart, bubbles next to each other that aren't connected don't have to be read in any particular order. They take place roughly chronologically together and don't refer to each other.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

"Peaceable Kingdoms" mentions the Kondaii System from "That Which Divides", along with its unique natural resources.

5. Sci Fi Fan

Sci Fi Fan Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Does anyone know if the list of star trek novels in the wikipedia article is complete?

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Well, that flowchart isn't comprehensive, since it only covers the modern continuity, and specifically those parts of it that are directly interconnected. There are countless standalone and other-continuity books that it doesn't address. It's a terrific resource for organizing a particular subset of the novels, but it's not meant to be anything like an exhaustive catalog of all Trek novels.

8. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

What is the proper chronological reading order for the seven books of the Typhon Pact? I see from the flowchart that Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn, and Brinkmanship come after the first four, but I don't know that that's the correct chronological order.

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have to apologize for that part of it though. I'm not caught up very far into the Typhon Pact right now in my reading so I have had to leave the info about those books pretty unsure for now. If anyone has any more precise information than I have posted so far, I would really love to have it.''

And thanks for mentioning my site Defcon.

11. Thrawn

They overlap a lot. Chronologically I'm pretty sure, Rough Beasts comes first, followed by Zero Sum Game and Seize The Fire at roughly the same time, with Paths of Disharmony later. Then Plagues Of Night starts back again before ZSG and STF and tracks a few other subplots while the events of all the previous books happen, eventually moving past them and then (with Raise The Dawn) going on chronologically several months further, and a year later in an epilogue. Brinkmanship takes place before the epilogue, but (I think) after the bulk of RTD.

12. SicOne

Do you have a suggested reading order for the 7 books of the Typhon Pact miniseries? I know now that the chronological order zips around a bit, but wondered about a suggested reading order. Spoilers don't bother me, but I'm trying to avoid having to know of a particular situation that occurred in one book when I'm trying to get full enjoyment out of another one.

13. Christopher

I think that as long as you read Rough Beasts of Empire and Zero Sum Game, and maybe Paths of Disharmony, prior to Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn, you'll be okay. Otherwise there's not a lot of cross-referencing among the TP books, so the specific reading order is pretty flexible.

As a rule, publication order is usually the safest route in terms of getting the proper story flow.

14. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Having just done it, I would suggest starting with Rough Beasts of Empire then Zero Sum Game, Seize the Fire and Paths of Disharmony. That's the chronological nature. I didn't read them like that - on the suggestion of the board that RBoE was best kept in third - but I think I'd suggest it going forward. Really, they can be read in any order, but I felt that RBoE smoothes out a particular plot point that Seize and Zero Sum don't acknowledge as existing. (Vague for the sake of spoilers!)

15. Christopher

^Could you spoiler-box it? I'm curious to know what plot point you're referring to.

16. Thrawn

Yeah, on balance, this is probably the best.

Then Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn, Brinkmanship.

17. SicOne

OK, Rough Beasts, Zero Sum Game, Seize The Fire, Paths of Disharmony, then Plagues, Raise, and Brinkmanship. Thanks much, folks. :)

18. BritishSeaPower

BritishSeaPower Captain Captain

Just noticed your reply, Christopher.

Basically, RBoE establishes the reunification of the Romulan Empire. This is basically unimportant to Seize the Fire, but does reinforce the idea of why Riker's so scared of a Typhon Pact fleet showing up. But the Romulans are able to amass a pretty significant force to blockade the Breen border and this makes a lot more sense after RBoE. Why would the Romulans send so many vessels if they were worried about the Imperial Romulan State? As well, both books refer to a singular Romulan state. I do think there is a single scene where Ezri mentions Donatra which wouldn't seem out of place if read in publication order, but sticks out if you think about the chronology. As well, I think the Romulan situation being solved first just makes more sense from a reader's perspective.

19. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a question about some things in Typhon Pact: Seize the Fire. Two incidents are mentioned of which I have no knowledge of. One is an encounter between Picard and the Gorn during the Enterprise-D's service, and the other is the revelation that some of the crewmen thought dead in "Arena" were actually kidnapped by the Gorn and experimented on for years. Are these references to stories I'm not aware of, or simply ideas created for this book which have never been mentioned before? If they are other stories, I would add them to the lists of connected books.

20. Christopher

The former might be a reference to Requiem by Michael Jan Friedman and Kevin Ryan, which is the only E-D Gorn story I know of; but I don't know for sure. The latter isn't consistent with any other Gorn story I know, so I assume it's original to the book.