Grant Morrison thinks Batman is gay!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by stj, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

People still turn out to see Adam West at personal appearences - they love this guy, he and his "Batman" character are the pop culture successors, of a sort, to Clayton Moore's "Lone Ranger."

It's not unreasonable to guess that the influence of the 1960s Batman series may linger a generation after yet another as-yet-unconceived version has pushed Nolan's movies into the background along with Burton's. :lol:

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

It's rainin' batmen! Hallelujah! ;)

3. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry, I'm not denying that West's Batman still has influence in pop culture but at least among my generation Burton's version isn't any more in the background.

And not just because of Michelle Pfeiffer. :shifty:

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

There's room for all Batmans really. But, for some Nolan's is "THE" Batman and all other are "wrong." But I agree with Legion, sooner or later another version will come along and for a whole new group that will be "THE" Batman. It's inevitable.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They all have their strengths and weakness.

Nolan does a good job of delving into the thematic conflict between Batman and his rogues. Ra's and Bruce (in their differing ideas of justice). Joker and Bruce (chaos vs order). But the stylistic choices don't work very well.

Burton does manage to capture the stylistic parts in the whole gothic city. But there is nothing special about his characterization.

Timm and Dini did do well on the stylistic parts such as gotham and the anachronistic era along with great characterization for Joker, Batman and Freeze. But the limitations of 20 minutes they really couldn't explore the themes very well at least in comparison to Nolan.

Morrison attempts to bring Batman into new unexplored territory. He tries to put Bruce into a variety of new extreme situations to see how the character adapts and tries to move the character beyond the childhood trauma. He is about embracing the whole of bat history.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  6. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Personally I think the next movie should have the deeper characterizations of the Nolan movies and the more bombastic stylistic qualities of the Burton flicks. Ideally a bat flick along the lines of TAS would be a terrific bridging of the two styles.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna keep pointing to the Arkham games as what I would want to see from a new Batman series. They've managed to keep the fantastic elements, like Freeze and Poison Ivy, but have still kept things fairly realistic.

8. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Isn't Zorro Gay?

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That movie is still funny.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

11. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, gotcha then. :techman:

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Trekker4747

That's a touch less funny given that it's not taking an odd sequence of events out of context or just an odd panel of a 30-something millionaire sharing a bed with a teenage boy in a mansion that must have one other bedroom:

[​IMG]

The "boner" pics people get so many giggles out of is just from seeing the characters say "boner." Sort of a silly thing to get giggles out of given that a)"boner" didn't mean erection as commonly back then and b)"boner" can even mean an error today.

So... Yeah. The boner pictures always just made me think of teenage boys giggling over a bad word. It's not quite as funny as the thong with Batman's teeth in it being held by Robin which, really, can be taken a wrong way out of context. Hell even in context it can't make much more sense.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  14. Set Harth

It's not just the appearance of the word...

1) Batman is pulling his boner in public.
    2) The Joker is trying to force Batman into a boner.
    3) The Joker is readying a boner for Batman.
    4) Everyone is laughing at the Joker's boner.

15. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Batman needs a cold shower. :lol: I love that part of the comic.

16. Trekker4747

Yes, and considering the context of the time and use of the word "boner" is being used as an "error" or "mistake" it's not very funny, is it? All people who find that funny are doing is seeing "boner" thinking "erection" and then giggling like a middle-school kid.

I see the word, know the context and don't find it humorous because, well, I know what it's talking about.

17. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

It's funny.

18. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So. Double entendres. For or against?

19. Trekker4747

:shrug:

Different strokes. (Ha! Ha! Ha! He said "strokes" in the same conversation about boners!)

As I said I see the word, I know what it means and the time it was being used and don't find the use funny. Again, it's just giggling at a word or even it's use in a sentence.

But, I don't find the idea of boners or their use being funny in pretty much any situation, so...

Funnier to me when a panel is taken out of context not because of the words in it and their current meaning but just that its an odd panel out of context.

(Seriously, what IS the story behind Batman's teeth marks inside a thong?! And why does Robin sleep in the same bed as Batman given that they live in a mansion! Was a pre-teen boy sleeping in the same bed as an adult man ever considered okay?!)

Double entendres can be funny but, again, that's something a bit different than what's any these panels. They weren't made to be double entendres they were made because "boner" means a mistake and didn't mean erection when the comics were made. It was an acceptable use of the word (otherwise I'm guessing the CCA would've had a shit-fit.) Double entendres are intentionally mis-using words to be suggestive. You're meant to read more into in order to "see the funny." Just like "That's what she said!" jokes.

This? This is Batman, Gordon, Joker, whoever using a word that means/meant "mistake." People are giggling over the word boner. It's been a while since I giggled over the use of a single word taken out of context.

20. Set Harth

Yes, it is. In the context of the present.

That's kind of the whole idea.

Obviously it doesn't mean the same thing in the context of the time they were published, or else they never would have been published. It would have been quite scandalous.

No, there's an entire narrative going on that ties into the thread topic. ( Some boner panels that only make sense with the original definition were skipped. ) Oh, and the Joker has an inadequate penis.