Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I didn't really dislike DD 13. It was alright. As wth the crossover, I was just expecting more than we got. With everything the the Mega-Drive was said to contain I expected a bigger "splash" to the end of the tale. More of a definitive blow struck against Mega-Crime rather than the "who-has-it now" fake-out that we got.

I'm anxious to see the direction that Matt's "vacation" to Latveria will take, and finding out just what, exactly, Foggy found in Matt's desk.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  2. Turtletrekker

Here is a 13-page excerpt of Stuart Moore's novelization of Civil War. It is not a literal adaptation as they say right at the outset that Peter Parker is single, thus altering the story to accomodate One Last Day. Also, the Stamford incident is being described as Peter's first mission as an Avenger.

3. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd definitely recommend going back and reading those issues. Waid and Rucka teamed up and co-wrote all three issues, so, unlike other crossovers, it's seamless. That was both my first issue of The Avenging Spider-Man and my first issue of The Punisher and I didn't feel like I was missing out on something.

In fact, my previous trip to the comic store, I only saw Avenging Spider-Man and Punisher, as well as Daredevil #12, so I read those and this weekend, when I went back, I finally found issue #11.

4. Turtletrekker

Fantastic Four 606-- Well, they can't all be winners. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bad book, but the mystery of where the F4 are is a little easy to figure out and falls a little flat in the end. This is the fourth done-in-one that Hickman has delivered since his big story ended, and the other three have all been winners, so I can forgive a little slip. This issue was much more accessable than the 605.1 issue was, and this probably would have been a better choice for the .1 issue.

Captain America 12-- Part 2 of "Shock to the System" reveals the identity of the new Scourge and those who are backing him. For a while there, I thought that Brubaker was going to promote Henry Peter Gyrich from "government pain in the ass jerk-face" to bonafide super-villain status, but am strangely relieved that he didn't.

As for the identity of the new Scourge I have a feeling that...
    ...Dennis Dunphy aka D-Man...
    ... is being used or controlled. He may not have always been the most mentally-stable of heroes, but one could never doubt his sincerity.

Journey into Mystery 638--Part four of "Exiled" sees Loki regain his memory, the New Mutants valiantly trying to restore order, and the other heroes of Asgard finding their heroic nature come forth, if not their true memories. Fun stuff.

OK, so for those who read Jason Aaron's Incredible Hulk, let me see if I have this straight-- In a twist on Banner's usual attempts to cure or separate himself from the Hulk, this time it is through the efforts of the Hulk that it has happened. Hulk went to Dr. Doom for help in ridding himself of Banner and the Doctor complied. Doom separated Hulk from Banner and gave all of the "good" to Hulk and the "bad" to Banner, turning Banner into a mad-scientist type.

Hulk and Banner battled resulting in Banner's "death". But somehow now, when Hulk calms down, he reverts to a Banner who is still "Evil-Scientist-Boo!" Banner. Therefore Hulk, in order to keep Evil! Banner from escaping, has to constantly "Stay Angry". That about right?

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have like three weeks worth of comics to catch up on now that I'm back. So good to have a new computer!

6. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bendis addressed Groot:

Which brings me to something I just realized, we've been focusing on Peter Quill being back, but I don't see any mention of Drax being back. In The Thanos Imperative Thanos killed Drax using some kind of bomb, with the implication that, even in the Cancerverse, Drax wasn't coming back. To me, it's more interesting that Drax is back than Peter.

7. Admiral_Young

I'm looking forward to the Civil War adaptation but it's a little dumb to have made Peter single since One More Day took place AFTER as a direct result of his actions during Civil War. I guess one could pretend it is Doc Strange's spell at work though retconning ;)

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it did.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I bought Hulk #52 solely for the Legion of Monsters guest starring. It was part 3 of a 3 part story but I only wanted my Legion but I was able to follow along with the opening page summary.
    Not being a regular reader of Ross Hulk since the title was in the 20's I don't think I've seen him transform from Hulk to Ross before. Sure it's been done. Enjoyed all the moments for Manphibian, Morbius, Jack and N'Kantu was the spotlight being host to Dark Doc Samson's shade. Even got a bit of Doc Strange for the issue. Guess his Defenders story isn't a "real time" issue for this Haunted story with Ross Hulk.
    I didn't realize Doc Samson was still dead. Guess Marvel is just waiting for the right time to bring him back. It's bound to happen.

10. Admiral_Young

My guess is just time for the Incredible Hulk sequel...but it could be before that.

11. Turtletrekker

Another book that I picked up this week but forgot to mention earlier. The whole idea of the Hulk Smash Avengers mini largely got nothing but a large "meh" from me. However, I did pick up issue 3, the Roger Stern written issue, as his is my favorite era of Avengers. It was a fun little tale that put a nostalgic smile on my face. I loved how Stern fit the story perfectly into place with both his Avengers run at the time, as well as Bill Mantlo's Incredible Hulk run. I love that kind of attention to continuity and sorely miss it in many of today's comics.

12. Turtletrekker

Previews for Wednesdays releases...

I will be picking up FF 18, New Mutants 43, Wolverine and the X-Men 11 and X-Men: Legacy 267.

Huh, if it weren't for the AvX event and the "Exiled" crossover going through Journey into Mystery and New Mutants, the only book I would be getting next week would be FF 18.

13. Admiral_Young

-Amazing Spider-Man Annual #39
    -FF#18
    -Incredible Hulk #8
    -Supercrooks #3 (this has been excellent by the way. It's like a cross between Ocean's Eleven and Kick-Ass)
    -Ultimate Comics Ultimates #11
    -Wolverine and the X-Men #11
    -X-Men Legacy #267

14. Admiral_Young

15. Turtletrekker

I'd be sorry to see Kieron Gillen leave Uncanny X-Men, as UXM is my last regular monthly link to the X-Books (AvX and related notwithstanding), and the only reason I'm still reading that is because of Gillen. Of course, it may happen that AvX will end in such a way that I will no longer wish to read any X-Books, so we'll see how that goes.

However, Gillen taking over Iron Man would be the first thing to make me interested in that character since Civil War.

16. Admiral_Young

As much as Rich has been correct about stuff... don't know if I buy the Bendis on X-Men rumours. Aside from a stint on Ultimate X-Men which was meh and his brutal writing of the characters in Avengers Vs X-Men I really can't see him doing a good job on any book. I would miss Gillen on Uncanny, but I've grown tired of Fraction on Iron Man. So a change would be welcomed.

17. Turtletrekker

And Gillen can and has been writing three books a month for some time now, and only dropped duties on Generation Hope because of Uncanny X-Men and Journey into Mystery's excellerated, twice-monthly shipping schedule in recent months. So it wouldn't be a strain for him to continue writing Uncanny while taking on Iron Man.

But his leaving Journey into Mystery is NOT an option.:lol: JiM is one of the best (if not best-selling... *sigh*) books that Marvel publishes right now. Gillen has said that his story for Loki is a finite one, with a definite beginning, middle and end, lasting about 30-40 issues, and he is only 16 issues into it.

18. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY is hands down the best book at Marvel right now. I would happily read a Gillen penned IRON MAN. IM has been dull as dish water for a long time now.

19. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

IMO Iron Man has been running on fumes ever since Tony 'rebooted' his brain. that was the last, best story arc.

20. Admiral_Young

That was about the last time I read the book. Fraction was doing some decent stuff...but I honestly haven't been interested in Invisible for a year or more now.