Teaser Poster for Episode IX of Phase II

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by PattyW, Nov 7, 2009.

1. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

2. Robin_Hiert

Robin_Hiert Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The poster looks good, but when will you release another episode? :)

3. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

November 20th sees the release of BAF Part 2, and the first part of "Enemy: Starfleet".

4. doctorwho 03

doctorwho 03 Captain Captain

Looks like another interesting episode. Could possible make those haters of the new movie happy. :bolian:

5. Robin_Hiert

Thanks James, looking forward to it! :D

How could anyone hate the new movie? :confused:

6. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

I'm glad Phase II is keeping the pipeline pumping.

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Easy, because it stinks on ice.

Hey, he asked.

8. Robin_Hiert

Well, ok that's your opinion :) I thought it was spectacular... perhaps it's because I'm young and wasn't around when the Original Series aired. ;)

Anyway.... off topic, sorry.

9. Captain Robert April

Oh, it was spectacular, but it was also brainless and shamelessly pandering.

Y'know, the very things that Star Trek was supposed to be the rememdy for.

Can you say "sell out"?

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Captain April, while I agree with you, I remind you that Paramount is a corporate entity the sole purpose of which is to make money for their shareholders. While I believe they could have made more money by simply creating an entirely new franchise, perhaps an updated space opera based, not on Wagon Train to the Stars, but on CSI: Mars, and renting Star Trek to PBS for their updated COSMOS series, this is what they did with what they own. It saddens me, but there is no group to protect "franchise integrity." The law in this case is not on the side of art.

The fact is that space travel has proven far more difficult for organic life than was expected in the 1960s, and AI and computers and robotics have advanced much faster than projected at that time. The biological revolution is just beginning. We already know there is no Khan, but there may be far more interesting variations on people to come. People designed to survive in spaceships on long trips better than we can. We may yet create a living environment on Mars. The intellectual integrity which I loved in Trek (and I urge you to read my review of the new film before you decide I'm not telling the truth here: http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/211.html) is not really in accord with how science has progressed over the last 40-50 years.

I morn real sci fi Trek, and dislike fantasy Trek, but I guess the good thing that has come out of this for me is that I am trying to rethink what a positive future would look like if we were making an equally realistic projection NOW.

Material science has advanced far faster than quantum physics. The Space Elevator looks more and more possible, while the transporter still looks like it's centuries off, if it can ever be done. The grim science, economics, starts to look grim again as the human population grows by the billion, and the sea warms and seems in a march toward less dissolved oxygen and more production of poisonous methane gas. We poison our environment, as we continue to grow in numbers. Are we programming our AIs as Isaac Asimov warned us to, or is the Terminator senario more realistic than we'd like to admit? Those who are 5 and under can expect to see a world first where robots are our servants, and then when they are discussing the rights of robots. Nanobots seem to promise a cure to cancer and heart disease, but senile dementia still threatens an aging society. Racism declines, but religion, far from dying out, seem on an upswing. And where will the biology revolution take us? Trees that grow leaves of lettuce, roots of carrot, and fruit of every variety we could desire? Bacteria that fix nitrates while thriving on the roots of a variety of plants, not just clover or beans? Stronger smarter, more generous, more intelligent people? Less criminality? Dogs that live 30, 50 even 80 years? People that live illness free to 250?

Today I'd write a tale of without Warp drive, but with more robots and recombant DNA and nanobots and sentient AIs, with aliens in communication with us, but not in trade of things beyond ideas. There would be fights over the rights to asteroids with rare minerals, and diamonds would be without value as their production is now a routine experiment performed by small children. Perhaps we could transport our consiousness into a robot around another star, and after a year, have the experiences there played back to us here like a RPG.

I have not yet seen any of the non-Trek series coming out of the Trek fan film houses. Most just sound like updates on Buck Rogers, or in the case of the Phase II project, Buck himself. These will do me no more good that JJA Trek. But perhaps, out among the fans, there are just a few who will think, and formulate a new vision for the future, one that will seem as bold and prescient in 40 years as Star Trek seems to us today.

For me, that's what Trek is about. It's about looking to the future, and trying to imagine one which takes our growing knowledge to improve our world, not wreak it. Along the way, it actually helps lead us there.

For me, Trek is Martin Luther King, Jr. urging Nichelle Nichols to stay with Trek because she cannot imagine the effect seeing a black woman working with white people in a respected position has on the young, and decades later speaking to African-Americans who say they would never have considered college if not for Star Trek. (Yes, I remember the freedom marches, I'm old).

Keeping Trek in a box cannot preserve this. We each have a vision of what would be a better world. At Hidden Frontier, that's a world where gays are at least the equals of straits... maybe a bit more than that. Many Fan Treks, though, seem to go where Trek didn't... to the dark side. Dark Armanda, Dark Frontier, Mirrorverse.

Without Dickens, would London have cleaned up it's poor houses? Without Uncle Tom's Cabin, would the South have tried to leave the union, or would they have, instead, have stayed in the union, making it all slave states? I celebrate Trek because of it's vision and power.

I hope at least some of my fellow Trekkers feel the same way. As for Paramount, I don't expect vision from a corporation.

Phase II is giving us a taste of extra, original, Retro Trek. I enjoy it a lot. I think it's great. But a newly discovered novel by Dickens couldn't have the effect on the world now that his writings had on the world then. I will watch everything Phase II offers. But the next Star Trek isn't JJA Trek, and it's not Retro Films, either. It'll have a taste of the future, with vision.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  11. S'kai

S'kai Captain Captain

Worked for me. And I didn't hate the new movie. I just had issues.

12. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

:(

13. fleetcaptain

fleetcaptain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks great. Can't wait to see more on this new episode.

14. TJinPgh

TJinPgh Captain Captain

+1

I have no problems with studios wanting/needing to make money. I'm not even sure I had a problem with the bulk of the film other than the lack of even the slightest attempt to fix things at the end. The result is a film completely devoid of any moral fiber, leaving us with a message that says billions of lives are a small price to pay for what Abrams views as destiny.

Having said all of that, I still wonder about the actual popularity of the film with those who weren't Trek fans to begin with. I can honestly say that I know hundreds of people that would qualify as movie buffs. They'll see probably 50 movies a year and not one of them saw Trek in the theater.

Given the number of people in these forums who claim they saw the movie 5, 6, 7 times, I have to wonder if any more people actually saw this film than Insurrection, they simply saw it more often.

No way of knowing and the money is all they care about so another will be made regardless.

Well, I certainly admire the extent that James and Co. go to with respect to keeping the look and feel of Phase II consistent with TOS. But, what keeps me coming back is the quality of the stories and the fact that, episode after episode, they continue to prove that you can still tell a good NEW story without first destroying the OLD ones.

Abrams COULD have done that with his movie and didn't. Now, after whining that existing within the known story line (which Phase II does just fine) was too confining, we start getting talk of re-doing Khan. Thanks but no thanks.

I look forward to Origins. It will be respectful, of nothing else.

15. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

I can't speak for all of them (obviously) but I know an entire flock of twenty-somethings that were not Trek fans, vowed not to see it.. and ended up seeing it because they heard such great things about it. They are all now HUGE Trek fans.. "JJ Trek".. and that is what is going to keep Trek alive for future generations: in all it's forms.

So, in the end, despite any problems I had with the movie.. I say "thank-you" to JJ and Paramount.

Amen.

16. Captain Robert April

I think it speaks more for Star Trek's actual popularity than the popularity of JJ's version. People were anxious for new Star Trek, any new Star Trek, and apparently not very discriminating when it comes to the final product.

Now, the $150 million question is, after a few years to mull this over, let the novelty wear off, view it at home and not be battered by an overamped theater sound system, and being able to better see the very serious flaws this movie has, not canonically but structurally, as a film on its own merits, just how eager will those same folks be to plunk down the money to see more of the same?