You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than it...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by The Rock, Sep 12, 2013.

1. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...already was?

Don't get me wrong, it is my favorite TNG episode ever. Fantastic episode!

But I was thinking, what if they revealed one of the captains of those Klingon Bird of Preys attacking the Enterprise D and C to be Worf? I think it would've made the episode more dramatic than it already was.

What would you have thought of this?

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: You know what would've made "Yesterday's Enterprise" better than i

Except Worf was rescued by humans after the Khitomer massacre two years after Narendra III was destroyed. If tensions had already risen between the Klingon Empire and Federation, I doubt the USS Intrepid would've responded to the distress call. So very likely the four year old Worf would've been left for dead among the debris.

3. The Rock

Hmmmm. I'd like to think that Worf still survived in that alternate timeline.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  4. R. Star

I guess it's not impossible, but a four year old who was "buried in the rubble" doesn't strike me as standing much of a chance on his own. What do you think any Klingon captains in the area are going to do? Go to the colony to check for survivors or hit back at the Romulans?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Why?

The characters in the alternate timeline would've had no emotional attachment to that Worf.

6. R. Star

It's not about the emotional attachment of the characters, but of the audience. That's the appeal he's making. Which is half the episode's appeal, since it breaks the arm of coincidence the exact same crew is on the exact same ship despite twenty plus years of different history.

7. The Rock

Exactly. For us, the audience, it would've been compelling to see Worf as a villain.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

But given that's it's an alternate timeline, the Romulans might never have attacked Khitomer.

9. R. Star

It's possible, but I deem it likely things wouldn't have branched out too differently by that point. Khitomer happened before hostilities would have broken out between the Federation and Klingons and I don't think a colder relationship between the Federation and the Klingons are going to effect Klingon/Romulan relations much, that early on. Until Narendra III the Klingons would've viewed the Federation as another rival instead of an honorable neighbor as they did in the normal timeline. That wouldn't mean the Romulans would be any less inclined to strike Klingon targets.

You can argue yourself in a circle about how events would work themselves out if history is altered, as until we invent a way to alter time there's no tangible evidence, but in Trek the precedent is, even when things change... the smaller things stay mostly similar.

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The thing is, I'm not sure Khitomer would have happened in this timeline. For all we know, the Romulans attacked Khitomer because their attack on Narendra III was foiled by Enterprise. Rumor has it they attacked because they were concerned about a secret Klingon weapons depot (unsupported by canon). If they were successful in finding and destroying the depot, they may not have needed to attack the Khitomer outpost two years later.

--Sran

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Dramatic for the audience. I'd actually have liked it if it had been Worf's voice hailing Picard near the end of the battle.

--Sran

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

They would make every other main character a villain in the future stupid DS9 alternate universe episodes, including Worf. :p

13. R. Star

I addressed the "maybe it happened differently" argument in the post above yours. For all we know, since we're speculating, the Romulans could've done a false flag operation instead, destroying Khitomer and implicating the Federation, and that's what touched off the war. You can argue anything convincingly in alternate histories after all. It is precedent in Trek that not much changes in the alternate timelines despite it all, as you always have the same exact group of individuals on the same exact ship.

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm gonna be the sole voice of dissent on this one. I'm glad they didn't do anything like shoehorning Worf into the alternative timeline. One of the things I tend to dislike when TV shows do alternate realities is when they find a role for every member of the cast in the alternate universe, even if logic would dictate that such a dispariate group of characters wouldn't necessarily all meet each other in every quantum reality. I mean, circumstance drew them together in our universe, but would it in every universe? Even one as dramatically different as in "YestEnt"? The starfleet characters I can understand, but to me making Worf their foe would have been trite and predictable.

Besides, I like that Worf and Troi are entirely absent. Their complete absence really underlines that this is a truly very different reality.

15. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Truly, that is a great idea for sure.:)

16. Andymator

Andymator Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm pretty sure that on the Blu-ray set for season 3 they discuss this, as they had originally planned to do just that and then nixed it for being too unbelievable and distracting.

I can't say it would have really improved my enjoyment of the episode.

17. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Well, it probably would have kept them from doing that very same thing with Worf years later on DS9 when he is on a big klingon cruiser attacking DS9 in the mirror universe.

The way to improve YE is to do a whole season on that ship. Get to watch it get gradually trashed, since I assume the holodeck and replication would be luxuries in a time of crisis and limited power.

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Ugh, No. It's best without him.

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

...t already was?

Yes, building the VFX model of the Enterprise-C the way Andrew Probert had envisioned her, and as she had appeared on the conference lounge sculpture wall for several TNG seasons. ;)

Bob

20. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not sure if Worf needs to be there, that would feel a bit too convenient.

Does Redemption make Yesterday's Enterprise kind of disturbing to anyone else?