AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I never said he's not. :rolleyes: But you've got to consider how much he'd be leaving on the table in profit participation. Marvel movies are licenses to print money. Why leave some on the table so he can do another crappy Tim Burton movie?

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because he's already rich and he likes putting on pale face and weird wigs?

3. Admiral James Kirk

Silly me! I forgot rich people hate making more money! :lol:

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Actually.... Depp and Burton on Doctor Strange...?

Hmmm. That might be an interesting movie. Burton has worked on comic-based properties before, and was very good at it. His first Batman movie is still my favorite of all the Batman movies to date. He was mostly faithful to the source material (Danny DeVito's Penguin being the exception) while still having a distinctively Burton flair, which could work well for Doctor Strange. I think Burton would do very well at re-creating the Ditko-esque magical effects and the looks of other dimensions that make the early Dr. Strange books so cool.

Last edited: May 14, 2012
  5. Admiral James Kirk

Actually... good point. :)

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I don't think I'd want to see a Burton-esque Doctor Strange.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

And the Lone Ranger movie cost 200 million to make

-Working set of a western town

-Actual working railroad

-CGI elements

-Actors fees

That's going to have to make HUGE box office returns. Otherwise it's next year's "John Carter".

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Tim Burton remakes his 1989 Batman movie, with Johnny Depp in as Batman!

Actually, I think I'd like that.

9. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It certainly looks like that, sadly.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So I was thinking about the "blow up the mothership, all of the secondary ships and aliens die" trope the movie played out and came to maybe a reasonable conclusion.

The Chitauri forces appeared to be biological when they removed their masks and such but they all dropped like robotic drones when Iron Man blew up the mothership. I think maybe it's possible the alien drones/soldiers could have been equipped with a "kill switch" that executes them should contact with the mothership be lost as a way to either deter rogue soldiers or to prevent potentially captured soldiers from being a liability.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, pretty much. He also has no reason to feel pressured to take any role and can pretty much take something because he thinks he'll enjoy it.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

That was my main gripe. The neat and tidy ending similar to "The Phantom Menace"

It's like they couldn't come up with a good solution to end the battle/movie

"Oh they all just shut down and then proceed to cuff Loki. The End"

Having left over Chitauri running around the earth would have been intriguing.

It would have made for a nice excuse in "Iron Man 3" since Tony is supposedly all on his own.

Fury- Captain America and Hawkeye are on assignment searching for Chitauri stragglers

There was also a plot hole with the waitress that recognized Steve Rogers in the middle of the New York battle.

There's going to be 30 minutes of deleted scenes added to the blu ray release

[​IMG]

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, I wondered about the woman's reaction when he got unmasked.

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I just got back from finally seeing it.

I went to the latest show on a Sunday hoping for a smaller crowd. There wasn't an empty seat.

Luckily my brother bought the tickets this morning. They were turning people away almost a half hour before the show started.

The film was fucking amazing and easily the best popcorn flick I've ever seen.

The best scene was the long single shot that showed everyone in action. Joss loves those extended uncut shots, so I was expecting it, but it still really immersing non the less. I almost wished I had seen it in 3D just for that.

The dialog was really snapping as was expected. I don't know that there was a single unneeded or out of place line. Usually with these types of films there's always at least one (usually many), but I can't think of one. Of course, that's really something that is better assessed on subsequent viewings.

The intercutting was a masterstroke. He's hinted at his potential before (especially on Angel) to give enough (but not too much) time in each scene before cutting to the next character in the ensemble. I'm sure that, if someone were to take a tally, he'd find that certain actors got more time than others (per contracts) but I didn't notice--save for Ruffalo getting the least. But that's expected.

In any case, it should serve as a blueprint to any would-be imitators. *coughwarnerbrotherscough*

The only thing that would have made it any better is a real Natalie cameo. But I'll live. Maybe.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Don't be so sure about that.

16. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Hadn't thought of that, but it would explain the little spark at the nape of their neck when it happens.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah. I also got the impression that the Chitauri soldiers are completely expendable, too, so if their command center is destroyed they would all just "deactivate." Ideally, though, they would also self-destruct so as to keep enemies from having anything to analyze. That would've been a tad ironic, those Leviathans going off like nukes in Midtown, achieving the exact opposite of what Tony intended. :devil:

18. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I just attributed that to what I'd think a persons reaction would be to someone being unmasked. "Let me get a good look at mystery person."

So in the deleted scenes is a moment where she serves Steve coffee it seems? That's fine but I don't think it's a plot hole it just imo changed the perception of the unmasking.

19. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I need a hint of what happened. I remember a slight chuckle when a soldier was unmasking the Captain but then it was never a secret identity mask. It was like a WWF, I mean E, scene was tacked on to the fight.

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I took it as she was shocked that the guy she just saw get blasted out the window was standing up looking fine.