Charting the Novel-verse

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, May 26, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the original TOS/X-Men crossover did so. The TNG/X-Men comic didn't quite follow suit; there was a portion where one of the TNG characters referenced something from Marvel history as though it were part of Trek history.

As for SNW stories with novel-continuity ties, here's what I'm aware of:

SNWIII: TOS: "The Aliens are Coming!" by Dayton Ward: Referenced in The Eugenics Wars.
    SNWVII: TNG: "Full Circle" by Scott Pearson: Draws on elements of novel continuity.
    SNW09: TNG: "Terra Tonight" by Pearson: Sequel to the above.
    SNW09: DS9: "Shattered Allies" by Emily P. Bloch: Draws on concepts from DS9 Relaunch, but isn't completely consistent with it.
    SNW09: Speculations: "The Immortality Blues" by Marc Carlson: Built around the events of WWIII as depicted in The Lost Era: The Sundered.

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I LOVE this list. This is same kind of thing I did when I wanted to build my own personal continuity to read threw when I started reading TrekLit. Mine is somewhat more limited, just due to the fact that I didn't want to include some stuff that actually does fit, and I wanted to end up with a list that I could actually work my way threw sometime relatively soon.

It's been five years already and I'm still a little ways from finished. It would help if authors would quit writing so many interesting books that fit into the novel continuity.:p

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

thanks.! :)
    And I don't remember them enough to know a reference if I saw one!

4. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

As far as SNW goes, there's also "The Last Tree on Ferenginar: A Ferengi Fable from the Future" in volume 9, which uses the Quark/Ro relationship and other relaunch elements... but it also set during a nonexistent time after Quark and Ro visit Ferenginar but before they break up.

5. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Best of Trek #3 features "Alternate Universes in Star Trek", a guide to the little non-Trek references in James Blish's Trek adaptations and novels. If you use any of this stuff, credit belongs to Mark Andrew Golding (hope he doesn't mind!).

From Blish's adaptations:
    "City on the Edge of Forever" references Bonnar the Stochastic from The Triumph of Time.

"Tommorow is Yesterday" mentions the Vegan Tyranny from his Cities in Flight series.

"Miri" references the Cold Peace, also from Cities in Flight.

Spock Must Die! references the Xixobrax Jewel Worm from Blish's short story "This Earth of Hours", part of Galactic Cluster

And one from me...
    Spock Must Die! also references James' short story "Dirac" (or was it called "Beep"?)

The article claims that James Blish saw Star Trek as part of a multiverse, where his other books and stories existed in parallel. The dates of events changed, but the same aliens exist across the universes and events are similar.

Last edited: May 28, 2010
    Jules / OTOY likes this.
  7. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Since you've include Ex Machina you will also have to include all of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy universe as well since Christopher did reference Betelgeuse which is from HHGTTG.

So this would be a good reason for someone to fit the Enterprise-E with an improbability drive.

And I have to say to Turtletrekker, WELL DONE! :techman:

8. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

His 24 hour edit period is up, so I added it.

9. Christopher

Betelgeuse is, of course, a real star, Alpha Orionis, whose name was given it by medieval Arab astronomers quite a few centuries before Douglas Adams (or Tim Burton) was born. While I did paraphrase Adams's "small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse" in my ExM annotations, I didn't include such an allusion in the novel itself.

And here's another random connection: The Hindi name for Betelgeuse is Ardra, as in the name of Marta DuBois's character in TNG: "Devil's Due."

10. JWolf

But think of the things you could do if the Enterprise-E had an improbability drive.

11. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Well, warp drive is rather improbable. So, there you go :techman:

12. JWolf

But when was the last time warp drive caused a whale and a potted petunia to suddenly come into existence?

13. Stevil2001

JWolf, how did you get hold of our manuscript for The Tears of Eridanus!?

"What if... the Excelsior had an improbability drive instead of a transwarp one?"

14. Christopher

There is an SCE story built around very Adams-esque improbability physics. I can't recall the name.

15. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

So Long, and Thanks for All the Dilithium.

16. Stevil2001

CHEKOV: I'd rather be happy than right any day.
    SULU: Are you? Happy, that is?
    CHEKOV: No. That is vhere it all falls down, of course.

17. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sargasso Sector ?

18. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep. :) Featuring the starship Minstrel's Whisper from the ancient Khnndak Empire (and "Sargasso Sector" even references Adams in dialogue).

19. Stevil2001

And, of course, it was book #42 in the series.

20. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't even spot that! :lol: