anyone else APPRECIATE chakotay's ethnic bits?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

:guffaw:

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

You have more faith in Voyager than I thought. I would have never went so far as to say Beltran could pull off a Picard! And I consider myself a Chakotay fan compared to most others.

And yeah...Chakotay actually says in Season 1 that they invented that device just so they wouldn't have to take drugs lol.

CHAKOTAY: A blackbird's wing. A stone from the river. An akoonah.
    JANEWAY: Akoonah?
    CHAKOTAY: My ancestors used psychoactive herbs to assist their vision quests. Now they're no longer necessary. Our scientists have found more modern ways to facilitate the search for animal guides. Place your hand on it and concentrate on the stone. A-koo-chee-moy-a. We are far from the sacred places of our grandfathers. We are far from the bones of our people. But perhaps there is one powerful being who will embrace this woman and give her the answers she seeks. Allow your eyes to close. Breath to fuel the light in your belly, and let it expand until the light is everywhere. Prepare yourself to leave this room and this ship, and return to a place where you were the most content and peaceful you have ever been. You can see all around you and hear the sounds of this place.

Seems like a replacement for herbs to me. I think definitely hallucination rather than a real spirit.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember my mother made me read Carlos Casteneda when I was about 13. Apparently the high point of this peyote fueled spiritual quest was when some guy was crawling around on all fours barking and peeing on trees.

Yeah I was going to reply when Slut said that something I thought better of.

4. Melakon

I'll take the wacky weed over an electronic high any day.

5. teacake

Not me. I like dials.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah but the electrohigh doesn't make you fail a urine test. ;)

7. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Oh thank you. You don't need to be sorry. :)

I think if he believed in whatever afterlife "his people" (:lol:) believed in, than maybe it's possible that it was real to him even though it was probably just a replacement for psychoactive herbs. When you have a hallucination, you interpret your surroundings based on memories and experiences, just like you do dreams. When you are experiencing a hallucination or a dream, it feels very real in that moment. It's possible Chakotay believed that by achieving such a highly evolved conscious state of his subconsciousness, he could access the spirits of those who have passed on.

Like I mentioned, Star Trek never defined it's stance on religion. I think it was real to Chakotay, but most likely NOT actually real.

There are people walking around every day claiming to have heard God's voice, have seen ghosts walking around, seen aliens, people who talk to God and swear they get a response back. Is it real to them? Yes. Does that make it real? No. But it doesn't make it any less real to that person.

8. Melakon

Can't work anymore, so that's not a big concern. But I stay inside with it. Thirty years ago while under the influence, I suddenly decided to go for a drive. After 10 minutes I suddenly realized I was inexplicably on the route to work, though it was a Saturday. So back home I went, and that's how it remained.

9. teacake

And you have never left the house since?

10. Melakon

Well, I moved about 20 times. And most of those moves were over the last 20 years. And I do go out for Coca-Cola and cigarettes, and fast food, but the closest fast food is a chicken joint and that gets boring fast. I can't even get a damn hamburger without public transit.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am so sick of my dinner choices within walking distance that sometimes I even cook.

It's not the cooking I mind, it's the cleaning up.

12. teacake

That's the (only) great thing about fish and chips, eat off the paper and then wad it up and throw it away.

Oh and melakon I was just teasing you because your post read as though you went home after driving stoned and never left again :)

13. Melakon

I may be an dumb Ugly American, but I'm not that Ugly. ;)

14. teacake

I have to leave the house right now to buy a vat of oil to cook squid in. I don't think I've deep fried anything in over ten years.

15. Guy Gardener

I have a minipocket sized chipper the size of a bread maker in which there is very old very dirty quantity of oil that should have been thrown out 6 months ago, which I would have doine so if not that I am horourably required to observe many tedious and laboroious mandated procedures for ecologically sound disposal... Gone are the days we could just pour this sludge down the drain.

16. teacake

I just pour it in the recycle bin.

17. Melakon

Pick a neighbor you don't like, and every night pour a little bit under his car.

18. Guy Gardener

Spite makes the world go around.

19. teacake

Or just pour it in an empty can and throw the can in the rubbish.

Or are you just using the Greens as a laziness blind?

20. Melakon

I was a preacher's kid, what do you expect?