Destiny trilogy - speculations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JoeZhang, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Captain Captain

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

I wouldn't say I'm sick of the Borg - just sick of the Borg being written poorly (ie: Resistance, Before Dishonour).

There's a great speech from Bashir in the DS9 Section 31 book on why the Borg are so menacing, which really captured the magic that they as villians can convey - and they're not even in the book!

It's just sad that neither Peter David nor JM Dillard were able to put that into their books. David's moustache-twirling Borg Queen was particualry bad. :mad:

I have more than enough faith in both Christopher and Mack to do them justice, and I'm still as psyched as ever about Greater Than the Sum and Destiny. :thumbsup:

Not that I'm sold on this blurb being legit anyway, sounds like the outline for the next Shatner-verse novel, not to mention the NX-02 storyline has just been lifted from the SOTL calendar.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  2. Titus Andronicus

Titus Andronicus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suspect that there's more to this trilogy than we believe. Perhaps what we are witnessing is...

The end of the Borg? I'm slightly tired of seeing them, even though I've enjoyed the stories. Perhaps this is the real endgame for them.

Also, there is that whole captain business. Could they mean Janeway? I know she was an admiral when she died in Before Dishonor,but I'm just saying
    [/code]

3. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

4. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Could it be that the crossover involves not only the BORG but also Q, Romulans and just about every bad ass motherfucker we've seen over the years? :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  5. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But the blurb, assuming it is accurate, says she's been 'newly promoted', which to me at least implies a rather more permanent change in rank than just being the skipper of the Defiant for a while.

EDIT: Sorry for doubling up on you, Allyn, didn't see there was a second page.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

6. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

7. Geoff Thorne

Geoff Thorne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Co-signed. The first blurb about SoD was wildly off the mark also. (and, no, I don't know anything more about Destiny than the ret of you).:rommie:

8. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

TrekLit Forum meet the Trek XI, Voyager, Enterprise, and DS9 Forums.

:p

9. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

This made me curious, so I clicked on the Amazon UK link for Infinity's Prism:
    :wtf:

Let me say right here that this is utter and complete baloney. I don't know about Christopher's or James's stories, but Jean-Luc Picard does not in any way, shape or form appear in A Less Perfect Union. If the description of Destiny is anywhere near as accurate, then I almost have to wonder if it actually is a Star Trek project.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No Picard in Places of Exile either. Clearly the blurb writer was basing that on the stand-in cover with the repeated image of Picard.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who the hell is writing these blurbs anyway, that they're always so wrong? This is almost as bad as what happened with the Janus Gate novels (although in that case, the entirely incorrect crap was *written on the book cover*). :wtf:

12. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

D-Mack had me at Si, se puede. ;)

Borg destroying stuff, Captain Dax and the wreckage of the Columbia, and Titan finding a legendary captain... All we need is for Khan, Sela, Dukat, Silik, and Seska to band together with the Anti-Monitor and start a war across all of Trek's generations. That would be full of WIN.

Seriously, I think D-Mack's got this one taken care of. :beer:

13. JeremyW

JeremyW Commander Red Shirt

Well, we don't know what's going to happen, but whatever it is, Destiny is sounding more and more appealing everyday. And it is funny that Amazon's description is nothing more than a rehash of fanfic ideas and speculation...come on, the 2006 hardcover featuring the Ships of the Line had a picture of the NX-02 crash landed on a desert planet in the Gamma Quadrant....people are fishing for something to write about just to promote early sales....now don't get me wrong...I'm a huge David Mack fan, and I will be buying these books, but I'll soon rather wait for the author or someone a little more legitimate to provide info than an online bookstore.

And personally, Captain Dax doesn't sound like a bad idea. (I think what Marco and the DS9 crew have done to Ezri's been awesome) Heck, Mack dropped the hint in Warpath. It could happen. Things aren't put in novels like that just to fill space.

Let's wait for the book to come out before we all bash it...if someone's going to spend over a year of his life doing something he thinks is important and relevant, then let's give him the benefit of the doubt.

14. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn it, i was just about to point that out and preen for being the first to do so. You beat me to it. :(

15. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I guess it is a coincidence that Ezri served aboard the USS Destiny before joining DS9?

16. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really wasn't bashing Destiny, I'm just hoping that the Borg really are destroyed this time; and I'm just a little fed up of hearing about dead folks brought back to life (except in the case of Trip). The Columbia story looks good and I guess it could be interesting to see someone with nine lifetimes being a Captain.

That gives me an idea...*runs to notebook*

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^^Of all the Trek authors, I think Dave Mack is probably the least likely to engage in the "bringing a dead character back to life" trope. Which is not just a joking reference to his "Angel of Death" reputation -- I think his body of work shows that he appreciates the dramatic impact of death that's permanent and lasting in its effects.

And I can guarantee that Destiny is not about reset buttons.

18. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Glad I'm not the only one having visions of Crisis in Infinite Federations.

Same here. :thumbsup:

19. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. Just.... wow. That Amazon description sounds horrific! I hope it isn't true.

- More Borg? VOY ruined them. The TNG Relaunch thusfar hasn't reversed the damage. I think the Borg just need to lay dormant for a long, long time. Until there's a good enough reason to bring them back and make them truly scary. "Resistance" and "Before Dishonor" just didn't do it.

- Captain Dax? We're only getting one more DS9 novel before the Destiny trilogy, and it's not going to bring the DS9 Relaunch timeline up to speed with post-NEM. So what the hell happens in the time period between "Fearful Symmetry" and "Destiny" that allows for Ezri Dax to become Captain?

- Long-dead legendary Captain? Please don't let it be Kirk or Janeway.

20. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't trust a damn thing in that entire summary. In point of fact, I'm half-tempted to conclude that everything in it is probably inaccurate, including the idea that the Borg are featured whatsoever.

Having said that, if the Borg were to be used in a dramatically competent way, it would make for fascinating reading. The Borg, as near as we can tell, post-VOY, are no longer unified into one Collective, correct? (I read Before Dishonor but not Resistence.) So it seems to me that doing a story about what happens when the Borg finally cease to exist as a galactic power would make for a very interesting way to upset the balance of power throughout the Milky Way -- civilizations and factions at varying levels of technological power could conceivably acquire various forms of Borg technology, radically altering their capacity to project power, to communicate, and to travel across vast distances. Just imagine if the Federation got their hands on a Borg transwarp hub... or the Romulans.

Mind you, that's a fairly bare-bones plot premise, and a good writer would need to inject more thematic concerns than just "OMG the Tholians have a transwarp coil!!!!!," but it could work if done properly.