Doctor Who: The Figure Thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by The, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Three Doctors set:

[​IMG]

Yes, that's The Brig and Jo Grant. :D

The likeness on the Jo figure looks pretty crummy, unfortunately. Still getting it though.

It's expected to be released in January.

2. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hopefully, it's just the lighting "throwing off" the likeness.

A neat feature about the Jo figure, the set will have alternate arms without the "fur" sleeves and the coat can be removed. So, in effect, like the Tom Baker figure with swapping heads, you'll get two figures in one.

Oh, I must revise my observations about the Sutekh figure. Alistar Dewal (one of the key people at either Character Options or DesignWorks) "twitted" a purposely cryptic comment that a "follow up" Pyramids set will be released, but only the first one will have the "complete" Sutekh figure. One will need to get the first for the second to work. This has lead some fans to speculate the second set will contain Sutekh's "mask" but not a full Sutekh figure. Again, that part is speculation, but Dewal was clear that the second set is basically useless without the first.

Sincerely,

Bill

3. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

The Brig in the center looks awesome. But which one is Jo?

4. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

OUCH. The one with 2 Eyes, I believe.

Actually, it's not a great likeness for her either, but, that figure looks closer to Liz Shaw's face then Jo Grant's to me

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jo looks almost like they incorporated some of how Katy looks now. I could see her being hard to model, her face had a plain quality about it (don't mean that in a bad way) that would probably be hard to capture.

6. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I don't especially need a Jo Grant figure (and I really don't need the Gell Guard), but I will buy the hell out of this for Lethbridge-Stewart.

7. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Same. I want a Brig. But ill wait and see if someone splits the set on ebay.

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

If young Katy had cheek implants yes.

9. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Being at the office right now, I don't have access to the sites where the announcements were made, but with the stories that start airing in 2013, Character Options will switch to the smaller 3.75 inch type figures (Star Wars scale). Alistar Dewar has stated this will NOT affect the "classic era" collectors line which is commissioned by UnderGround Toys and Forbidden Planet. So, should we get a Sarah Jane as she appeared in "The Android Invasion" (with swappable faceless robot head), she and future figures based upon the 1963-1989 series will continue to be made at a 1/13th scale.

However, when Character Options releases an Oswin companion sometime next year, she will stand less than 4 inches.

"Classic era" fans wonder what will happen whenever Matt Smith "retires" and his successor takes centerstage. Will Character Options provide a legal loophole to allow the release of a "special" 12th Doctor to match those from the "Eleven Doctors Collectors' Set"? I certainly hope so, but, obviously, I don't know.

Just a "heads up", gang.

Sincerely,

Bill

10. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Source is an interview with Character Options Brand Manager Mark Hunt from the Doctor Who Supplement of Toys 'n Playthings. You can read the interview here, on page 14.

I'm disappointed about the scale change, but now that I think about it I was probably done getting nuWho stuff anyway. I'm really glad though that the Classic figures will remain the same size.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I've always been partial to the 3.75-inch scale for action figures, so I don't mind this at all. I think the smaller scale figures are generally easier on the wallet and may give Character Options the ability to make more figures than they have previously.

12. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Eh, that sucks. The Marvel and SW 3.75 figures are cool and all, but at that scale they don't exactly have the most detailed likenesses.

And to me that's the only reason to even buy a DW figure. It's not like I'm looking for something with tons of articulation or anything.

13. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

My hands are too big to play with Star Wars scale action figures....

:(

14. Samurai8472

Well this sucks. I was planning to get a 11th doctor figure prior to his regeneration.

The face sculpts seem to look the best/closes to the actor before their doctor leaves

David tennant's 11 Doctor's set and battle worn "End of Time" suit looked the most like him. Compare those to the first wave in 2006.

It only took a year for the next wave to get a better Smith sculpt

[​IMG]

15. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

If they had started with 3.75 I'd have never started collecting and this change simply means I'm done. Mind you, I've only picked up two or three things in the last two years anyhow so... *shrugs*

At least the classic line is staying at 5". And I hope that if show continues and there is a 12th Doctor that they'll at least do an exclusive or SDCC that's 5".

There's other bad news too. Apparently, another company will now be doing the sculpts.

16. P0sitr0nic

P0sitr0nic Vice Admiral Admiral

Seeing as the Doctor seems to change his outfit with the new companion, i was looking forward to getting Clara and the new outfit Doctor figures. They really should rethink this. Sure, make smaller ones, but at least keep making the larger ones for those of us who want em.

17. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With all due respect, that's nonsense. Star Wars figures especially manage to cram in more detail and articulation than Doctor Who figures. The fact we still have swivel neck and arm joints is testament to that.

Anyways, first pic of new scale figures has popped up:

[​IMG]

18. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ That 11th Doc actually looks pretty good. And the slimmer physique seems more in keeping with the real thing. :D Also, the joints at the elbows and knees are a little less pronounced compared to the larger figures, which may prove beneficial for bare-legged characters such as Amy.

The Dalek looks pretty good too, though it's curious they went with the RTD-era model rather than the remodel. Maybe they're aware of the conflicting opinions of the latter and decided to play safe and go with the safe bet?

19. Samurai8472

I would assume thats an "Asylum of the Daleks" Dalek (THAT ONE wink wink)

20. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

If anyone is interested I'm parting with some Classic figures, all mint/unopened.

Dalek Collector's Set 1
    Classic Wave 2 Morbius Monster
    Classic Wave 2 Green Voc Robot

Drop me a PM if you're interested.