Kindle Broken - Likelyhood of Replacement?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Queen Mab, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Spider

Spider Dirty Old Man Premium Member

I bought an extended warranty. :)

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which would make it far more economical to just buy a new one (Amazon has the Kindle 4 for $69 US, which is roughly £42.00).

3. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

If people outside the US buy a Kindle from Amazon.com it costs them more. For example when I try to buy the Kindle 4 the price changes to $AUD89 which is about $US80 (I gather this is because I cannot have the of "Kindle with Special Offers") plus I would have to pay for postage.

Also, I think that anyone from Britain would have to pay VAT on a new Kindle from the USA.

edited to add - it seems that British buyers have to buy Kindles from Amazon UK where the Kindle 4 is £69 ($US112). They also are not able to buy books from Amazon US but are geolocked to the British site.

This is the reason I am refusing to transfer to the new Amazon Australia site (which only sells e-books). If I join the Australian Amazon I will be charged GST (10%) for e-books plus books will probably be dearer and less books will be available. I won't transfer until Amazon stops giving me a choice.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  4. Amaris

Ouch. Still, at $80, it's probably better just to buy a new one than pay roughly $60 for the repair. It depends on one's budget and whether one wants to keep the older model, though.

5. Miss Chicken

Sorry, you must have posted as I was editing to let you know that it seems it would cost the OP $US112 to get a Kindle 4 because of being geolocked into the UK Amazon.

6. jaz'a

jaz'a Vice Admiral Admiral

Are you buying as an Australian on the US Amazon site? Those prices are significantly different than the actual US site. From what I've seen, sometimes the Australian site is cheaper sometimes the US (Australian) site is cheaper.

I won't switch, because I've set up my amazon account so that I appear to be from the US and therefore pay US prices which is significantly cheaper.

7. Amaris

Sweet Jebus! Ah well, it all works out. Kindles from the U.S. are more expensive, and some of my favorite candies from the UK are more expensive. I guess we all get it in the end.

8. Miss Chicken

I am buying as an Australian on the US Amazon site. I know I could set it up to look like I am from the US but I have never done so because geo-dodging is a legal grey area.

I will sit back and wait and see how other Australians fare before I commit myself to Australian Amazon. I have about 50 as yet unread e-books so there is no great need for me to buy e-books in the next couple of months.

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I still buy my books from the US site, mainly because it wasn't an option to buy them from the Canadian site when I bought mine. I think it's only been about a year that the option's been available.