Tom Hardy Cast To Play Elton John In The Biopic 'Rocketman'

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Shilliam Watner, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Shilliam Watner

Shilliam Watner Commander

I just can't see this happening but of course I never thought Michael Douglas would take on the role of Liberace either, or Affleck as Batman.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=110574

Tom Hardy is officially set to star as Elton John in Rocket Pictures� upcoming biopic, Rocketman. What's more, Focus Features has come aboard to give the film a major U.S. release, producers announced today.

Rocketman is described as being "a larger-than-life movie musical spectacle that tells the story of a child prodigy turned music legend." John will re-record many of his iconic hits to parallel the emotional beats of the film.

The Hardy deal caps a lengthy search to cast the role of Elton in the film, which will be co-financed by AI Film and directed by Michael Gracey (the upcoming The Greatest Showman on Earth). The original screenplay is written by Academy Award nominee Lee Hall (War Horse, Billy Elliot).

2. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Tom Hardy will do a good job, as long as the script is solid.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

And suddenly I have "Saturday night's alright for fighting," in Bane voice running through my head.

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Hardy has proven to be an extremely versatile actor, I think this is inspired casting.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Did Justin Timberlake do that already?
    [​IMG]

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

"Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce?"

7. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

The ol' Historical Beauty Update strikes again! That said, I'm sure he'll be great, and I look forward to seeing the movie.

8. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I would have had no interest in this but for the fact that Hardy has been cast. I'm not too familiar with either the writer or the director but Hardy's performance as the life prisoner Charles Bronson in Bronson was incredible. Admittedly, that film was also helped by Nicholas Winding Refn's direction and a script which greatly elevated it above the usual British true-crime drama. But if Rocket Man takes any of the same chances and innovation with its approach (as oppose to a run of the mill biopic), it might make interesting viewing.

9. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somebody I've never heard of is going to be in something I won't bother to watch.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Tom Hardy played Shinzon in Star Trek Nemesis and Bane in The Dark Knight Returns.

11. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I guess I never paid attention to who played those parts.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Why bother to post twice on the thread in that case?

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Based on Tom Hardy's IMDb photo I'm not sure how accurate your statement is.