The Walking Dead Season 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 6, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Also Mellisa McBride is finally in the main credits, as is Scott Wilson now.

2. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

This confuses me as well. There really should not be enough zombies in rural Georgia to fill upp that fast. They even seem to kill them on a daily basis. Perhaps they should increase their efforts. They do not seem that short on time, either.

3. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly, they pretty much have nothing but time so why not spend it better protecting yourself?

Also could you imagine what all those rotting Walkers smell like, let alone all the diseases they probably carry? Why would you want that 20-30 feet away from you?

Let alone just be annoying as hell to have them milling around, moaning and wanting to eat you.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw my mother over the weekend and she asked the "Where are they coming from?" question. The best I could come up with is that when you get zombiefied maybe your olfactory senses get hyped up like animals and then when you have a bunch of living people in a stationary spot they get a general direction from the odors and aromas. And then maybe other zombies can sense when other zombies pick up a lead so even if they aren't in range of the source they might be in range of the other zombies which leads to a clustering. Mind you, I was just trying to figure some rationality, not that it was the best. Of course, my mom also says sometimes "you just have to squint" as she put s it when you're watching shows to enjoy them which isn't bad advice either.

5. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Where are they coming from? They're coming from everywhere! It's been at least a year and a half since the apocalypse, so these walkers would have had all that time to wander from almost anywhere in North America. If they've been walking continuously, some of them could be from California! And we know that walkers congregate slowly but never break up into smaller groups. They just wander in the direction of the last sound they heard, and keep walking that way until something new attracts their attention. So I'm not surprised that large numbers keep building up at the fence, and that next week's episode will show the largest herd yet.

I'm just surprised the Woodbury survivors haven't suggested the use of noisemakers and ditches to the prison group council. Or maybe they did, and the prison group rejected it? I can't see why they would, though. Those fences that looked so secure at the beginning of season three aren't looking so formidable now!

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Walkers have a herd mentality (if we can call it that) they hear a noise, they all head that direction. At some point they all must have clumped together all following a common noise. The population of the Atlanta Metropolitan Area (where we more or less still are) is over 4-million people. So that's a lot of people to turn and start following noises.

7. PKerr

Oh I realize that with a show like this you just have to accept a few unbelievable things and I would even forgive some of these actions and zombie counts in season one or two, when the whole Zombie Apocalypse was something new but our heroes have learned a lot since then and have become proficient Zombie Killers so one would think at some point the numbers would be dwindling, not growing.

We've also seen Zombies just sit down and become dormant when there is no food around, if the show took place in L.A. or New York I could see a never ending hoard of Zombies but we are talking about rural Georgia here and there are many directions to go other than straight to the prison.

8. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah - in World War Z (the book) there were herds of thousands upon thousands. The problem wasn't defeating the zombies necessarily - it was the sheer volume of them and the fact that they just kept coming.

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you see the teaser for next week with like 7500 walkers? They come from urban Georgia. As food in metro areas is depleted, they would begin moving to outer regions, along major roadways, because they're more easily traversable. Plus, that little tribal world war between Woodbury & the prison 6 months earlier likely alerted any walker in a 20 mile radius. All suggestions indicate that the prison is near Senoia GA, just 20 or 30 miles down Rte 85 from Atlanta, right in a triangle of Macon, Columbus & Atlanta. If you started slugging along in a herd of thousands it could take that long maybe, following sounds like cars, helicopters, gun fire & anything else these people have had going on there in the last 3 seasons. You have to admit, that area around Woodbury & the prison has likely been more active with noise than just about anywhere else in the whole region of that triangle

10. PKerr

I could easily believe that the Zombies could Walk from Atlanta to Senoia with no problem as it's only about 40 miles but I'm not buying the whole sound theory as I don't think they have ultra sensitive hearing and sound only travels so far, if their hearing was so great how is it week after week our heroes sneak past them, if I can hear them moving about on my T.V. then surly these ultra sensitive hearing zombies can hear them.

The other this is that a gun shot or even several gun shots would be hard to pin point, sure you could get a general direction but in big open spaces like the area they are in the sound would echo around, trust me, as I said in an earlier post the area I live in (which is nothing compared to where they are) is very open an very woodsy rolled into one My area is zoned 1 for 10 meaning 1 dwelling per 10 acres and people shoot guns and hunt around here all the time (myself included, shooting not hunting), the sound only travels so far on a good day with wind, temperatures, humility and so on I would think the best you would get would be 3-4 miles, certainly not 40.

Also If sound attracts from them miles around how come the church they found when searching for Sophia wasn't swarming with Walkers?
    That church bell was ringing non stop for how long? days, weeks, months?

Or why wasn't Woodbury completely surrounded with their blaring music from their Saturday night Wraslin' matches or all the kids yelling and screaming running around playing?

So other than a plot hole what is causing 100's and 1000's of Zombies to walk right to the prison out in the middle of nowhere?

Again if this is the case our heroes should easily know that and if so, why not send someone back to the church and turn the bell back on, attract them there?

As I said earlier I hope the writers don't start creating situations by having our heroes do stupid things, the stupid people should be weeded out by now, this is the world they live in now they should all know the rules of survival by now.

11. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

The most plausible answer is the Governor has his hand in trying to overwhelm the prison. Merle if you recall was able to get a heard to follow him in a vehicle. Perhaps the Governor is giving the group some payback?

BTW. For me its less likely they'd come up with the estimate of 7500 [how many jelly beans are in the jar] than where they are coming from.

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The build up on the fences could be from anywhere and for the little girls and their choice (or lack of the ability) to kill their father was understandable to me. If my relative or loved one turned, I would kill them as I expect they would for me.

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Eh, we saw when they were at Herschel's Farm, the Helicopter drove them out to the Farm. They've been fairly noisy making their way from the Farm to the Prison (and Woodbury and back again), and none of those places is all that far from each other, I have no problem believing the horde is forming and following them, the smell of them as fresh meat and the noises.

On the father of the little girls, everyone (including those defending Carol's choice) is making it out like Carol just shoved the girl into the situation. That's not quite how it went down. Carol was ready to do it herself, and the little girl insisted it was up to her and her sister to take care of it, and Carol allowed it, and when the little girl froze up (putting herself and everyone in danger by not putting their father down), only then did Carol pressure/encourage the girl to do it. It was only after the girl had made the choice that the family should do it, and only after she froze up

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Regarding the herds: It's not that they have super sensitive hearing, it's that they'll mindlessly follow any noise. Once they've clumped together in a herd they're the ones making the noise and then they're just a wandering mass of the undead, snowballing as they wander aimlessly following the sounds of their own moans until they get within earshot of live humans. Once they've found some, you get what WWZ calls a "chain swarm": -

When you have people in a fixed fortification like the prison where the humans are visible and audible from the outside you're going to have a never ending procession of chain swarms coming in from all directions.

As for who's feeding them, yeah I think it's the girl and I think they're doing a combination of two separate stories from the comics.

The serial killer and the psychotic twin.

15. PKerr

So the helicopter only flew once and only in one direction? and there was only one helicopter left?
    Where did the helicopter come from, surely there are other surviving communities, how come their noise isn't attracting them to North or South Carolina or Alabama or Tennessee? of all the directions they could go, they are all going to the prison?
    Why aren't the sounds of herds of cattle or Horses or pigs (we know they are still around as our heroes have apparently found them them) diverting them in other directions?
    Why aren't a bunch of them camped at the base of a tree listening to chirping birds?

Is the prison a alter for all the zombies worship at?

Is the governor and his two henchmen really capable of setting up devices to funnel them to the prison? and if so why didn't Michonne see any evidence of that in her monthly travels looking for him? or any of the others while they were out scavenging?

Just so everyone knows, I absolutely adore this show, there is only one other show (Breaking Bad) that I could think of that I actually gets/got me excited to watch from week to week, I just don't want to see it turned into a stupid plot hole of the week show like so many popular shows did that ultimately (IMO) ruined them.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Only gripe is about the fence. If they are in danger of knocking it down, why let them get close? They have installed some barricades out of the wooden spikes, seems like that works fine. Put those along the fence line, and they self-impale there instead of risking the fence. Annoyingly easy, and they have the solution already, so why not implement it?

17. Trekker4747

In the real world, I suspect those prison fences are pretty damn hearty and would take a hell of a lot more force to knock over. But I agree you'd think they'd be doing a better job of keeping the Walkers off the fence, putting more traps and stuff around the perimeter and such.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The should also get a bulldozer and use it every now and then to push away the walkers when 2 many are grouped along the fence. There are so many thing things that can be done to to stop the buildup on the fence or fortifying the fence with a 4' stone wall so you can still see and spike the walkers heads but they cant knock the fence over.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It looks like there's no way to totally clear the perimeter, so they can't work outside the fence for extended periods without attracting a herd. They'd have to do it piecemeal with a team of noise-makers out to draw them off while the work crew gets a little section done. It'd take up too much time and resources. From what we've seen it looks like everyone is kept busy as it is just trying to make sure they're fed and adequately supplied.

Digging by hand takes a lot of time and effort so something like that would take half the group months to complete, all the while they're eating into the supplies while fewer foragers are out bringing in more. Without adequate stores they'll be as good as dead when winter hits.

20. Trekker4747

I suspect a bulldozer is going to be hard to come by, hell we're reaching if not past the point where even gasoline should be useful anymore. Any barrier they'd need they simply don't have the time or resources to do especially with the Walker Hordes out there. Digging a ditch, building a real, meaningful, perimeter, anything is really out of the question considering the numbers.