Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Sep 8, 2012.

?

How would you rate Dredd?

1. Excellent

50.0%
  2. Good

38.8%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. A bit poor

3.8%
  5. Awful

2.5%
  1. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just watched this the other day, some great moments. Worth checking out!! :bolian:

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

If it goes 7 or 8 years by the time they make a Serenity sequel they will need a side-loader to get him on the ship.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Captain Too-Tightpants

4. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I really like Urban (seen nearly all his films) and I agree he's terrific Dredd. I was just musing that if choice was between getting a sequel with more scope/SF (rather than generic villains-in-highrise) OR Urban back in lead (due to unavailability, etc), I'd go for former. Of course, both would be cherry on cake :). But there's a couple of other actors I'd be just as happy to see take on Dredd if Urban wasn't in. Thirlby I'd be less keen to see replaced as I'd like to see her Anderson developed.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

No gravity in space, everything should work out.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hopefully people will be aware of this, but there is now an official sequel campaign

People will argue it won't do any good, but hey if you don't sign it there definitely won't be a sequel...and a small chance is better than no chance at all...

7. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

This was a great movie, definately better than the Stallone version. Karl Urban's Judge dredd was awesome, and the rookie was cool, too. The action was done very well, and it was appropiately brutal. I also liked the world in this movie better than Judge dredd. In JD, it was bascially all on a big set and it just seemed like an overcrowded, dirty and kind of generic future world. In Dredd, the world looks more familiar, and while it definately has seedy sections it was done well and it just seems more grounded in reality to me. No robots or hovercycles, but it still felt like the future, just a less ridiculous one. The story was entertaining from beginning to end. Overall, this was just a great action movie. It sucks that, from what I've read, its not getting a sequel. It definately deserves one.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally saw the Stallone version for the first time, and while I thought it started out really well (the introduction of the city, the old-school FX, and Dredd's badass entrance seemed spot-on to me), it wasn't long before it turned into just a generic 90s action movie.

Which is too bad, because Stallone just seems like the perfect guy to play Dredd.

9. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

Slightly, there's no flying cars, for one thing, and not too much buildings aside from the apartment complex where the movie's set, but it's still all Judge Dredd, and that's what counts. Plus, Urban as Dredd keeps his helmet on thorough the whole fracking movie!!!

10. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This was the only movie in recent memory that I wanted more the instant it was done. It kept my attention the whole time, didn't waste time with ridiculous subplots, and reminded me of the original Die Hard for all the right reasons.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I kind of prefer generic 90s action movies over generic action movies of today. I don't know, they just seemed to have more soul. So that aspect of Stallone's Judge Dredd doesn't really bother me. Although I do think Urban's Dredd is the better movie, the Stallone movie is better than most people give it credit for.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

the Stallone film definitely started well but tailed off. I'd agree it isn't as terrible as it's made out to be.

I think if you took 80% of Dredd and 20% of Judge Dredd you'd have the ultimate JD film.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the remake probably toned the designs down just a little too much. It could have used some of the crazy, over the top flair of the Stallone movie.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't care what good it will or won't do, I signed it anyway! ;)

IMO, the first one was probably the best Die Hard-ish action movie I've seen since the original Die Hard and it's a shame (though not a surprise) that it didn't do well at the box office.

I honestly (perhaps foolishly?) believe that this is going to be one of those things that'll build a loyal following on home video and at some point a few years down the road it'll build enough momentum to make the suits take notice.

I like to imagine that all that stuff is there but just out of sight. For starters, saying Mega City One is a big place is like saying swimming *up* Niagara Falls can be a bit of a challenge, so there's plenty of room for all kinds of things. In my mind the sector Peach Trees bloc was in was the Meg's equivalent of a slum neighborhood. In which case all the *really* huge blocs, skedways, jetcars and the like are up over what used to be New York/Philadelphia way.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Too much Rob Schneider in the 90's version for me, especially as the film enters the second half. The plot device about the foe(whose name I forget) being cloned from Dredd works and they even take steps to allow you see it when they are side by side.
    The arbitrary female lead fight was a bit silly upon re-watch when i saw it recently.

Would be very pleased if, despite the returns on the Urban version, we are able to get another big screen theatrical follow-up to this DREDD film.

16. shivkala

Dredd is now on Netflix streaming!

17. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Which one?

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Probably the one that's called 'Dredd'

19. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Funnily enough, I remember a review at the time saying something along the lines of 'have we gone back to 1983?', citing the Blade Runner-ish look of Mega City 1 and the Return of the Jedi-style flying bikes!

20. shivkala

The 2012 Dredd with Karl Urban. Why is there another movie based on Judge Dredd? :devil: