Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Big Bang"?

(And unlike "Last of the Time Lords", my understanding is that the characters weren't aware of everything that went on. Or at least not all of it. Rory knows he was the last centurion, but doesn't remember all 2000 years of it.)

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

However, IDW's other recent Star Trek crossover -- Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes -- ended with a ginormous mallet to the reset button. I hope that Assimilation2 doesn't end with a similar mallet whack.

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Doctor and River seem to remember everything. Rory can periodically remember his life as a centurian, and presumably Amy can also remember this stuff periodically as well. At least, it's not stated she can't.

4. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

5. The Wormhole

^^Something about the way Worf is standing makes me think the thought going through his head is "Seriously?"

6. Allyn Gibson

7. Allyn Gibson

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Spider-Man 2099/Doctor Who crossover would be really fantastic.

9. Admiral_Young

I actually quite liked issue six, I thought it was the best written of the issues so far, and there was even an improvement on the painted art work. This is the first time in the entire book where Amy looked liked Karen instead of a completely different person. Two more issues left to resolve all this build up. Should be interesting to see how they resolve this and put everything back to "normal". I sense a timey wimey reset button like in "Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes".

10. Allyn Gibson

I started to write a review of this for my blog on Wednesday, but I didn't finish it because work on my NaNoWriMo outline was more important. :)

One thing from that unpublished review was about the conclusion of the storyline as a whole. Here's what I wrote:

It's now painfully obvious how this story will end. In issue #7, the Doctor will get the information he needs from the Borg in the past, the Enterprise will catch up with the Cyberfleet, the Borg will be literally rebooted to remove any trace of the Cyber contagion, and the Enterprise will use the gold weapon to destroy the Cybermen. But wait! We will learn that the Borg Conduit lied, and the issue will end with the Borg turning on our heroes. Then, in issue #8, the Doctor will defeat the Borg, either because of something he did when he rebooted the Borg or by using the green device from all the way back in the first issue. With the Borg threat eliminated, the Doctor will ask Picard if he wants to travel on the TARDIS (because that kind of thing happens) but Picard declines even though he's tempted. The Doctor leaves, and the Enterprise goes to Delta IV to assist in the rebuilding of the planet after the Borg attack. The end.

In short, I'm not seeing a reset button coming. Especially since IDW has said they want to do another crossover.

11. Admiral_Young

I'd forgotten that they want to do another crossover...and that resolution sounds extremely right on the money.

12. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just read part 6, a big improvement over the last issue and the artwork actually looked like the characters.

13. Allyn Gibson

14. Allyn Gibson

Issue #7 is coming out early, it will be in shops next week.

15. Allyn Gibson

I have a mad theory about where the story might be going...

I think that, at the point in time the story takes place, there is no Borg Queen.

I think that something the Doctor does when he "reboots" the Borg to remove whatever the Cybermen did to their systems will unintentionally create a new personality in the Collective -- the Borg Queen.

That's not compatible with Star Trek: First Contact (which indicates in flashback that the Borg Queen was present with Locutus), but in a timey-wimey way it would make sense -- Picard doesn't remember the Borg Queen when he was Locutus because it wasn't there when he was Locutus, but when the Borg Queen tells him she was there she was because she now existed retroactively.

That's my theory.

16. Admiral_Young

That's actually a pretty fascinating theory and one that I would accept if that is the way the story is going to turn out. Should be an interesting last couple of issues.

17. The Wormhole

The problem with the theory is that Voyager stated the Queen originated from Species 125, which is a low enough number that the Collective likely encountered this race within the first century of its existence, and we know its existed for nearly a thousand years.

Of course, I suppose it's no big deal to simply discard a throw-away line from Voyager, it certainly wouldn't be the first continuity problem in Trek or Doctor Who. Hell, the episode I'm referencing (Dark Frontier) has its own continuity problems. Or if they want to acknowledge the line, they can just make it really wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey...

18. Admiral_Young

I quite enjoyed issue seven. I actually have thought the last two issues have been the best written and even the best drawn...errrrr painted...errrr photoscanned or whatever the term is :) in the entire series. Amy finally started to look like Karen, instead of a completely different person entirely like she has been for most of the series. I think my favourite part was when the Doctor told Amy that the Battle of Wolf 359 was a fixed point in time and that he couldn't intervene even if he wanted to.

19. Tzenkethi

Tzenkethi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If there's a next time, they should do something more radical like have the Dominion reinforced by the Daleks during the Dominion War.
    I think the Daleks are a good match for the Jem Hadar though their agenda would be to create a Founder Dalek.

Cybermen Borg team up is too obvious and even then it doesn't really work without tweaking them to accept each other which the Borg would never have done. I read the Cybermen can't even convert non humans which makes their conversion of Trek aliens like the Deltans and Cogen V inhabitants a oversight unless there's to be a massive twist like the Borg overriding the CyberBorg.

20. The Wormhole

I think IDW intentionally avoided using the Daleks for this series so that they wouldn't have to deal with the Nation estate. For that matter, has IDW ever done anything with the Daleks at all?