DS9 should get Remastered

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Trekmaster555, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really, there's no argument here. We have to preserve the film and remaster it. The REAL question isn't whether it must be done, but how. i.e. How close to the originals do we stick? Especially in regards to the battle scenes in early TNG/DS9, which look especially slow and dated compared to today. Do we make them just as slow but with CGI? Or do we go back and take all the optical elements that were filmed and recomposite them in HD? Would they even be good enough quality to do so?

And of course then there's the issue of poor use of stock footage. Do we preserve that or no?

2. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Well, the thing about THAT is that it was originally done because of budgetary limitations.

And there's no reason to believe that any remastering won't suffer from budgetary limitations of its' own.

That's probably a bigger bugaboo in replacing all the stock footage with footage unique to each scene than any creative reason to keep it.

3. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

According to this press release: http://trekmovie.com/2009/08/05/full...o-blu-ray-set/ the TOS Season 2 Blu-Ray-Set is going to contain the DS9-Episode "Trials And Tribble-ations" in HD. No information yet if it's going to be just an upconverted version or if they actually redid everything.

4. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I really don't mind if they go all out and up the speed of TNG and DS9 battle scenes as long as they do what they did with the TOS BDs and allow you to switch back and forth if you want to.

Although there are some ship sequences that are good as is, like "Shattered Mirror" and "Sacrifice of Angels"

5. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

Replacing stock shots with new ones could do wonders.
    Especially in the early seasons we got a lot of those, and a lack of starships made the station often look a bit isolated.
    I could see them doing great stuff with really basic things like runabout take-offs, the wormhole or docking animations.
    In some cases, they could really do cool new stuff. Like showing a "naboo" shot of a bajoran street instead of the standard Bajor matte shot.

DS9 remastered would have HUGE potential. An approach like TOSR would not do it justice.
    Imagine the Earth shots with the tram train in "Homefront" replaced by a future Paris flyover!

6. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Daaaang! That would be SO cool!

But you know what I'd almost kill for? Some really, really good Cardassia shots, instead of just that matte painting.

I think that also, in "What You Left Behind," we need an overflight of Cardassia Prime, post-bombardment. That would make Martok's actions look all the more grotesque, when he starts gloating and drinking amidst the carnage.

7. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Hell yes:bolian:

I would have loved to see lakarian City as well. (as well as Cardassia City in all it's pre DW glory.)

8. TeutonicNights

TeutonicNights Commander Red Shirt

YES!!! i understand how they didn't go all out on the new FX in TOSR, but DS9R would have to be different. It should be about taking the old FX and making something even cooler out of them whenever possible.
    I would be irritated if they redid everything about the Wolf 359 opening battle, Saratoga explosion and everything, but I wouldn't mind them adding more background ships getting torn apart or firing.

If it takes another 10 years to make it work on a limited budget, so be it.

9. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know, when this thread began I wasn't convinced that a DS9 remastering was nessessary but I'm slowly being turned out. I have to agree, creating new FX such as new matte shots and battle sequences would be great. I think as large a canvas DS9 had, it didn't have a lot sweeping landscapes to go with it. I'm really intrigued with new shots of Bajor and Cardassia under attack and after the attack. Personally I would love to see more ships hanging around DS9 to show that it really was a busy port. I really hope Paramount gets going with this, even though I have the entire 7 seasons I would definately buy them again if they did the same level of work that was done on TOS.

10. Cap.T

Cap.T Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I knew it was to good to be a true. Accorings to a post on the blu-ray.com forums the episode is just upconverted. :(

11. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

The station was MEANT to "look a bit isolated" early on - pre-Wormhole, the Bajoran system was the back of beyond. It wasn't until S3 or so that it became actually busy (which is why they redid the opening titles for S4 to work in more ships & other activity, along with upping the tempo of the theme music).

12. NKemp3

NKemp3 Commodore Commodore

Heck, I'll go a step further. I don't know why they REMADE TOS for the big screen this summer. I liked the original handling of characters, relationships and origins much better.

13. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They didn't "REMAKE TOS" this summer.

I don't recall any episode having this plot.

Now, if you had said they REMADE "The Changeling" in 1979 for the big screen, you might have had a point... :vulcan:

14. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why do you need to see it in HD? It looks just fine on an HDTV the way it is. Does it matter that it's not in HD? It's a moot point, anyway, since there's no way in hell they'd spend the money to do it.

15. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Erm, cos HD looks better maybe?

Would it hurt to see it in full HD? With new effects? Would that be damaging somehow?

True, it likely won't happen, but if it did, I'd watch it, and chances are I'd appreciate the improved visuals. Whats with the knee jerk negativity?

16. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

DS9 DVDs actually look quite crappy on HDTV with a DVD player, especially if the screen is 50"+. The image is extremely blurry and odd-looking.

I've never seen it upscaled though. Does it get upscaled automatically if the DS9 DVDs are put into a BluRay player?

17. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If it is being played on a HDTV then it is already being upscaled by the TV, your TV probably just has a crappy upscaler. I have a DVD player which upscales DVDs and, while I haven't watched DS9 on it yet, Voyager looks okay, although I have noticed that once they made the transition to CG in season 3 the starship models are noticeably undetailed. I imagine the same will be true for DS9.

18. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Yes, and it looks quite the crap.

I've noticed that movies and TV shows mastered from film upscale very well on my blu-ray player, whereas shows transfered to videotape, like Trek, Alien Nation, Due South, and the 1980s Twilight Zone look positively godawful. I'm no video tech guy, but my own theory is that the VHS noise that may not be that visible in standard definition screws up the upscaling process and makes it look ten times worse. Even the home movies I transfered to DVD look really bad on my blu-ray.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, Alien Nation looks god awful on any television set. Terrible DVD transfer. But you might be right--I'm no expert on upscaling.

20. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

CGI models:
    http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/database/cgi.htm

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010