DS9 in HD

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by MikeS, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

He is talking about the DS9 scenes in "Birthright".

2. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

Ahh yeah I forgot about that. I was thinking that he was saying there would be some preview trailer for DS9 S1 attached to the S6 set.

I don't find Birthright all that amazing (which is why I forgot about DS9 in it), but the reminder that we see DS9 in it makes me that much happier to re-watch it early next year when S6 is released.

3. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

"Timescape" is another episode that used stock footage of DS9, particularly the runabout flybys.

4. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good shout.

5. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's when they switched for the ship shots, but DS9 had a number of CGI effects in place beforehand (the wormhole, Odo morphing) that would still need to be considered.

6. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

True but they shouldn't be much harder to recreate than the effects for TNG.

7. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Had they completely redone a lot of the ship shots and effects instead of just touching them up I would've been a lot more inclined to buy TNG's. Heck DS9 I'm kinda indifferent to it being in HD... though it would be awesome if they went all the way and presented something completely different rather than just a new layer of paint and glitter.

Then again I was always into Trek because of the stories more than the effects.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Will those DS9 scenes actually BE in HD? Or just upconverted SD? As Sphere pointed out, DS9 hasn't even been announced for remastering yet.

9. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I think it's safe to say that they'll only remaster whatever was shown on the TNG episodes for now. It wouldn't be any different than the past couple of times when they went back to the original elements shot for the movies to digitally composite them for TNG, such as the appearance of the mushroom shaped spacedock.

Whatever the case, we'll likely hear about what they'll be doing very soon as S6 is supposed to come out sooner than the wait for S5, possibly a February/March release.

10. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

The short battle scene is pretty much the same as it was seen in the actual episode.

11. d514

d514 Ensign Red Shirt

When TNG S4 came out the remastering of S5 was almost done (read it here somewhere). So when S6 comes out they should be at the end of S7. At that point a decision has to be made about DS9. They don't want the people involved in the TNG remastering to switch to new projects. They had five seasons of TNG to optimize the process. Remastering DS9 starts right after TNG or probably never.

So there should be some information about DS9 around March, I guess...

12. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

While Tobias Richter undoubtedly is a fan of Star Trek, it seems there's more to it because his company The Light Works is the one that provided the CGI footage of the big E-D for the TNG remastering!

The fact that he showcases what he has already created for DS9 in public allows multiple interpretations.

To me it would seem CBS hasn't yet decided (but if they're lacking VFX elements, The Light Works could do the job as illustrated by these demo videos).

Bob

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I like that first battle video, that looks amazing, but those TheLightWorks shots look awfully artificial.

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

One difference however is that DSN used more CGI in it's FX work. And if the scenes have to be re-rendered you can render new scenes just as easily as having to recreate the original(s) which were re-used to save money.

15. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The pace of S6 and S7 will be a little slower that S3-S5. CBS wanted to release 3 season in 2013, but they only need to do 2 in 2014, so they have more time. Also, S5-S7 are all being handled by CBS-D, rather than outsourcing as was done in S2 and S4.

That's not quite true. While Tobias did create the original model, the actual CG rendering is done by the team at CBS-D (TrekCore made this pretty clear in their review of S5), and CBS-D ended up overhauling his model as well. Tobias has been doing these outstanding CG models for years and while they're very well done, I don't this we can assume or extrapolate anything about future CBS-D projects. I may be wrong, but my impression is he was more of a contractor; they bought his original CG model, but he's not really working on the inside.

16. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for clarifying, Bob! I should have said I have no idea who they are instead of saying "fan-made." That's good to know. And now that you mention it, it does seem like I read that here before.

EDIT: I just read trekker's post. I suppose I just should have said " I have no idea why these videos were made or who made them, but here ya go!" ;)

17. SpHeRe31459

SpHeRe31459 Captain Captain

I said something similar a while back and was quickly corrected by FrontierTrek (TrekCore), he said that their schedule is just as tight for the last two seasons, even though theoretically they'd have more time, CBS wants to stick to the same release schedule as previous years. So we'll likely see S6 in early 2014 (February-ish) and then S7 in mid 2014 (June/July-ish).

18. trekker670

See, I could have sworn I read the opposite, either by a post FrontierTrek made or an article on TrekCore. I could very well be wrong though.

My guess would be late February or March for S6 and then July/August for S7, any hopefully DS9 S1 for Christmas 2014 :D

19. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

:confused: Tobias has been using the finished CG renderings of the big E-D for the portfolio of his company and I'm confident he'd be giving credit where credit is due. I also do not recall any CBS-D statements from the early season(s) that his model required additional fine tuning. IIRC the (partially CGI) saucer separation from BoBW is the still the same as the one from the pilot episode.

That's a different story (and a different - :ack: - model?).

It seems that CBS-D has not yet chosen a contractor for the DS9 VFX (Tobias would have probably heard). I believe that's the reason why Tobias has showcased what could be done (if The Light Works were hired again).

I don't know at what point in time such a decision would have to be made, but apparently it hasn't been made, yet.

Bob

20. trekker670

I'm saying the model was originally created by The Light Works years ago, then TLW improved the model to be more accurate to the 6-foot model a few years ago (he even detailed its creation long before the TNG-R project was announced, alluding to it being a commissioned project).

To quote TLW website directly:

My point here is not to take credit away from TLW, they did an outstanding job on the model. Much better than I could ever hope to do. I simply wanted to clarify that they provided the digital model, but they are not rendering any of the VFX themselves, that's being done by CBS-D.

It's not a different model, it's simply been enhanced. Here's the exact excerpt from the TrekCore review:

It's been alluded to that they're going to have an article dedicated just to the CG improvements as well!

It's the same model that's been re-worked to bring out the best in both the 6- and 4-foot studio models and be detailed enough to allow for close up shots. The updated model blows the one from the first few seasons out of the water, IMO.

Again, The Light Works was not contracted to do the VFX, they simply supplied a few of the (very well done) digital models. I think it would be great if TLW were able to provide their models for DS9 as well, as what I've seen they're outstanding yet again.