La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

I hope your hard drive crashes.

Neil

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hear, hear. If you value the work, then you owe something to the people who created it. Especially if you want there to be more works like it in the future. If they don't make enough profit because people steal the work instead of paying for it, then they won't get to do more.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well said.

4. Indysolo

I need to pay the rent!!

5. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From what I understand, your in the wrong business then. :P

Seriously though, this will be worth every penny, I have no doubt.

6. Indysolo

I do okay, as long as people don't steal my work.

7. OneBuckFilms

Glad to hear (read) it.

8. Esteban

Esteban Commander Red Shirt

Amen to that. IndySolo, you got my money the day you'll take it, man.

Work harder and faster!:)

9. JimZipCode

JimZipCode Commander Red Shirt

I've downloaded a few torrents from time to time, so I can't be too holier-than-thou. But honestly, that's a fairly assholish comment to make here. Especially given the presence here of people who have actually labored on the compilation, and who have been pretty forthcoming about answering questions etc.

This is one I'll be paying for, because I want the CDs and the booklet, and because I want to contribute in a modest way to rewarding the people who made this happen. I've wanted this music for around 40 years, give or take, and I feel some amazement at living in a world where it will actually be available.

I guess it is inevitable that the stuff will eventually find its way onto torrents. If there winds up being only one CD pressing, and no presence on iTunes / Amazon mp3 store, then maybe that's even a good thing. People in 2020 should be able to get this content, somehow. But I hope it doesn't get there for a few years. I guarantee it won't get there from me.

(But it will be on my mp3 player within a couple days.)

10. Indysolo

Pending any major catastrophes (I don't foresee any) my audio work is all done. We have masters for all 15 discs that have been vetted and we're still listening to them and making sure everything is good.

We're in the artwork phase now. Things are looking nice there. Everything is on schedule.

Neil

11. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Rest assured, some of the rent will be coming your way in November! Maybe more if I hang around the site for "too long!" :)

12. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Quoted for truth.

You are not kidding. Ever since discovering TOS in 1971, I wondered when something like this would be possible. Now that we're on the eve of a dream come true, who could be so dismissive of the ownership and hard work just to get something for "free?"

I guess such a person will scream that life is unfair if they are busted by the law.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  13. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just spent 2.5 years of my life writing and producing a book, so it really ticks me off hearing people talk about copying somebody's very hard, meticulous, long-expected work. All the people whining about price, how much total have you spent on pretty worthless crap over the years? How many different versions of seasons of scifi tv shows have you purchased? Wow. This is a huge deal. If it's too much for you at this time, I get that, cuz I've had times in my life literally emptying a piggy bank to buy frozen burritos at the IGA. But for the amount of necessary work, and the evident care, the price seems fair, given the niche market. Huge kudos to you all for undertaking and doing this project.

14. OneBuckFilms

I would be as ticked off, but it really isn't worth my time and energy.

I'd rather look forward to the awesomeness that will inevitably be purchased in November.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

QFT

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

+1

Were there more people in the consumer world who felt this way --and actually practiced what this conveys -- things'd probably be a lot more affordable than some people seem ti insist they aren't.

17. ACE

ACE Lieutenant Red Shirt

Indysolo,

I don't recall if this has been stated before, but are the tracks in this release mixed for mono or stereo?
    Also, will the 5-6 second 'bumper' fanfare music that played between commercials during the original network broadcasts be included?

Either way, I can't wait until the release in November. This is something I have wanted for a long, long time.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  18. Indysolo

If it was recorded in stereo, it will be stereo on this set, so we do have some stereo material on this set. Most of it is mono.

No bumpers were found.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What are the chances that recordings of the music from TAS or other Filmation shows will ever be recovered? It is believed they were simply thrown out when Filmation closed down? Or is there any chance they could've survived, and if so, what efforts have been made to locate them?

20. OneBuckFilms

I suspect the stereo material would be the main title rerecordings that were done for the Remastered project.

I'd be surprised if there was much more than that, as it was recorded for TV, purely a mono medium at the time.

Stereo would have been pointless and cost too much. Battlestar Galactica (70s series) was that way.