The S.A.V.E. Anime Deal

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mr Light, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So I was browsing Amazon.com today for Labor Day deals and stumbled across this. There's an entire grouping of anime complete series sets for about $9 to $14 each, they're called the "Super Amazing Value Edition".

Now I've sampled a lot of anime series and for most part don't like them, but I keep trying to find something I'd like. I mean Evangelion was good and all but I wanted to slit my wrists by the end of it. I enjoyed the humor of Slayers though.

I was wondering if any of these super cheapo series are well thought of here...

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarion-Comp...r_1_35?s=STORE&ie=UTF8&qid=1283772050&sr=1-35

The ones with interesting descriptions sounded like "Aquarion" and "S.T.R.A.I.N.", sound familiar to anyone?

2. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Never heard of must of those, to be honest.

If you're looking for decent box sets at a fairly low price, try the Anime Legends instead.

3. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Out of those, I have seen...

Suzuka - gentle, entertaining rom com, nothing astounding.

Aquarion - mecha show, very dumb, very fun, very disposable

Ghost Hunt - slow, moody, atmospheric, supernatural mystery show, a little X-Files-ish.

Beck - Awesome rock music slice of life...

009-1 - cold war spy series set in an alternate future, got a nice sixties vibe to it.

Moonphase - Quirky vampire comedy show, very stylised, visual gag-centric, a little marmite (love or hate)

Gankutsuou - Anime retelling of the Count of Monte Cristo, set in the future. Very stylised and distinctive visuals. Could be the best thing since sliced bread.

Baldr Force EXE - Fun violent futuristic OVA, Matrix style. Disposable.

Solty Rei - typical Gonzo futuristic mystery show, but with nice characters and an interesting story. Fun.

Coyote Ragtime Show - Found this to be very dull and forgettable.

School Rumble 1st and 2nd Semester - 2nd more consistent than the first series, but not as good as its best. School comedy, love triangle, quirky sense of humour. Very enjoyable.

Rumbling Hearts - Angst laden romance show, tugs at the heartstrings, very soapy, but good with it.

Paniponi Dash - School comedy, offbeat sense of humour, same creators as Moonphase, so may not appeal to all. ADV originals essential for vidnotes explaining all the gags and references, Funi stripped them out, so avoid their release.

Welcome to the NHK - Comedy drama about a young social recluse with emotional and psychological problems, being redeemed by a random, but cute girl, lots of otaku references. One of my fave shows.

Heat Guy J - Underrated cop and his android action series, pretty predictable but a lot of fun with it.

Utawarerumono - Interesting enigmatic story about an amnesiac man in a mask waking up in a strange fantasy world with dog-eared girls. A lot better than the synopsis makes it out to be.

Out of those...

Must owns, a.k.a they'll have to take my copies out of my cold dead hands...

Beck
    Gankutsuou
    Welcome to the NHK
    School Rumble

Well worth buying

Moonphase
    Solty Rei

If you have money to drop

Suzuka
    Heat Guy J
    Utawarerumono

I have been entertained by, but may not rewatch.

Ghost Hunt
    009-1
    Aquarion
    Rumbling Hearts

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me how wrong I am.

Incidentally, Anime Legends essentials if you are wondering, Cowboy Bebop Remix, Wolf's Rain, Planetes, Please Teacher, Witch Hunter Robin

4. Pilot Ace

Pilot Ace Captain Captain

Beck is a terrific show. I can't recommend it highly enough.

5. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SAVE is Funimation's line of bare-bones series. Usually they've been out for quite a while or they rescued them from ADV. A lot of them are very good yes, EX:

Particularly Good Ones Worth Buying:
    BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad-(Music, Slice of life, Romance) Good story and characters. Great music

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo-(science fiction, Drama, Romance) A classic story with some cool animated twists. I also loved the artstyle though I've heard it doesn't work for everyone.

Ghost Hunt-(Horror, Mystery) A genuinely creepy anime is rare thing. Good to watch with the lights out.

Kanon-(Drama, comedy, slice of life) Great characters and some excellent humor. You'll laugh and unless you are heartless, probably cry at various points too.

Kurau: Phantom Memory-(Science Fiction, Action) This is an epic near-Earth science fiction action series with a good story.

Red Garden-(Horror, Drama) This series contains some really great characters and handles them very well.

Rumbling Hearts-(Drama, Romance) Romantic dramas don't get much more interesting than this great series.

Welcome to the NHK-(Comedy, Drama, slice of life) A story about a jobless loser who meets a woman who claims she can give him counseling to cure him of his ways. Very funny and also hard-hitting and genuinely serious at times as well.

Worth Watching:
    009-1
    Aquarion
    Coyote Ragtime Show
    Hell Girl
    Galaxy Railways
    Glass Fleet
    Solty Rei
    StrAIn: Strategic Armored Infantry
    Suzuka
    Utawarerumono

Would Not Recommend:
    Air TV
    Air: The Movie
    Baldr Force EXE
    Magikano
    Moonphase

I can't really comment on any SAVE editions because I already owned what I wanted to buy before they were introduced last year so I don't have any.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  6. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

a little OT but does anyone know whats going on with the Hellsing Ultimate OVA dvds? Are the rest of them going to get released in the US?(I think theyve only released 4 of them so far.)

7. zakkrusz

Funimation has 5,6, and 7 now. When they're releasing them is unknown. Next year most likely.

They licensed a whole slew of stuff in July and that was part of it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  8. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Well, just placed an order for Kurau Phantom Memory and Kanon. Found the ADV singles and artbox for Kurau at Right Stuf, so went for those instead! Thanks for the recommendation...

Hold on! I'm not the OP!

9. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

cool thanks!
    oh theyre gonna release the Trigun movie too! Id love to see that in theaters!

10. zakkrusz

You're welcome. Hope you like them. If you like Key/Kyoto Animation works you'll probabally like Kanon it's one of the better ones. If you don't mind a little shoujo Ai in your sci-fi, you'll probably like Kurau. :techman:

That whole announcement was full of grade A canned Awesome:

Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail
    Darker Than Black 2: Gemini of the Meteor
    Hellsing OVA 5-7
    Sekirei: Pure Engagement
    Shakugan no Shana Second
    Shakugan no Shana The Movie
    Shakugan no Shana S
    Toaru Majutsu no Index
    Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
    Trigun: Badlands Rumble

And they rescued a bunch of good Geneon leftovers. I'd been looking to buy the Tenchi Muyo OVAs in particular.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010