Season FIVE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Aatrek, Jun 28, 2013.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, it's not CGI. Although with the new CGI model they have, I would be happy for them to use that... it's astounding.

2. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Given the quality of the CGI model, I am happy with either replacement for that shot. Curious to see what they replaced it with though.

3. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Having just looked at the episode once again, I'd forgotten that we're talking about two shots here, not just one. One wider, the other closer. So hopefully they've found two alternative shots that also vary their angle and field of view accordingly.

Also, another thing I hadn't noticed before is that when the Tamarian ship fires back at the Enterprise's starboard nacelle, the direction of the beam doesn't make sense. When the Enterprise fires, the beam travels from roughly the center of the screen to the upper right and the next shot shows the beam appearing from the lower left side of the frame and hitting the Tamarian ship several times in different locations. So far, so good. Other than the fact than a phaser beam is coming from the torpedo launcher, it makes sense spatially. The beam is traveling in the same direction both times.

But then when the Tamarian ship fires back, it's nose is in the upper right quadrant of the frame and a green phaser beam fires downward, disappearing beyond the right side of the frame. Then, in the next cut, the Enterprise is hit... but the beam is coming from the upper right corner of the frame. This doesn't make much sense.

In order to fix this, CBS-Digital could simply flip the previous shot of the Tamarian ship horizontally like this so that it's nose is pointed toward the upper left of the frame, and the beam toward the Enterprise.

4. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm just surprised that such an obvious vfx mistake made it on-screen during the shows fifth year. They had tons of experience. What happened here?

5. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

It is pretty puzzling that they could have made such a glaring mistake that far into the series, isn't it?

6. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

I believe the story is they subcontracted for either money or time reasons and the subcontractors got it wrong.

7. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

They got the wrong hole.

8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Hey it happens to the best of us.

9. Aatrek

Aatrek Rear Admiral

10. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks!

And how about the new Enterprise CG model. I wish they could go back to the earlier seasons and use that over the original CG model. I can also think of several 2-foot shots in season 2 that need to be "lost".

Only a month away. :drool:

11. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

HAHA makes me wish you were the person in charge of finding footage.

"looks through film viewer....hmm 2 footer....oops (falls in garbage can"

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

:techman:

13. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Hope we get to see some more shots of the CGI model soon. With only a month to go a few more preview shots to get excited about would be nice. :) hint hint

14. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Nothing but a shot in the dark but I'm assuming this CGI model will make fixing the Darmok phaser shot a piece of cake, even if the original shot was cutting to the suddenly multi-tasking photon torpedo launcher ;)

15. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Darmok shot replacement was just taken from "The Best of Both Worlds", so no CG required.

16. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are there going to be any pictures of Season 5? Maybe because we know CBS-D is doing it we expect greatness but I would love to see some of the screenshots, and not just of Darmok. Some visually stunning episodes I'm looking forward to revisiting include:

The Game (What does the game look like in HD)

Conundrum (Even though they just reuse the Justice Shot)

Cause and Effect (How many times they can blow up the Enterprise D and make it look spectacular)

Power Play (Maybe one of the more visual styled episodes of the season?)

The Next Phase (We kind of saw what it could look like with that scene in In Theory)

The season comes out in 17 days and I'm surprised the only thing we've gotten is a press release.

17. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

^ Was just thinking the same thing, CBS are awfully quiet with the preview pictures and clips this time around.

18. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's probably the same reason the Fathom events got dropped. They might not feel the need to advertise this as much. The customer base is established, and the rest of the seasons are going to sell regardless.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't understand this strategy. With the Fathom thing, it seemed like those were selling and it was bringing Star Trek fans together. As for the screencaps, it whetted the appitites of those people who would buy the set and maybe even get new people to purchase it. Not everyone is purchasing all the sets and it isn't hard to post pictures of what we can expect. To want higher sales figures (And they've said this because they wanted to see how TNG would sell before they did DS9) and then not promote it seems counterproductive.

20. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, especially here in Germany, where there's (and always has been) a HUGE TNG market!

They are late with the season sets here, this time it's S5 even AFTER CHRISTMAS in 2014. WTF?! Why don't they take advantage of x-mas sales, if the set is ready?
    I don't get it?!

And the single episode BDs (BOBW, Redemption) are released strangely only in some supermarkets without A-N-Y kind of promotion. NOTHING! Not even on the german Paramount/StarTrek-Homepage! Not a SINGLE word that they are out! One can't find ANY information on those, if you are not aware of Trekcore!

We fans ONLY knew they are out available at all, because some fans in nerd forums thankfully posted they spotted them coincidentally while buying their daily toilet paper!! HELLO ???!!
    You can't even order them on Amazon or similar platforms!

Paramount here doesn't do ANYTHING to promote TNG on BD, it's as if they even were ashamed of it!

NOTHING AT A L L !!!

It's as if they DON'T WANT to sell TNG on BD here. For whatever reason.

That is really beyond stupid, and if sales figures are beyond expectations, it's no surprise, because it's beeing released COMPLETELY behind customers backs here!
    I'm a HUGE fan of the show, and i have to research on foreign pages to catch information on this release. ??
    And this just can't be coincidental, because NO label could be THAT stupid with marketing, sorry.

It's a pure SHAME!

And I really don't get it. ???

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013