The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like to think the Ent-D still had the same fate in the so called "anti time future", and was replaced by the 1701-E exactly as we seen it... but in a fit of pique Admiral Riker wanted 1701-D as his flagship, so they made a special dispensation to go back to Veridian III, salvage what was left of the saucer, and retrofit them as a 'new' Galaxy Class just for him. Because, you know, Riker is that awesome. :rommie:

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Monstrosity" comes to mind. When kitbashing goes too far. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

:scream:
    My eyes! My eyes!

4. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

my eyes, my eyes

cannot take the sheer coolness :D

5. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It might have been OK without that third nacelle. It's like the Enterprise has polydactyly.

6. C.E. Evans

Of the ship being hit with an ugly stick? That's what passes for "sheer coolness" these days?
    :confused:

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

hey i saw a magazine describe justin bieber as a 'hunk' the other day, so who knows what passes as anything these days haha ;P

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

God. that thing looks like the Enterprise and a ship from Star Wars had a baby that was born with an extra chromosome.

9. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oy. It looked better in my memory than in those pictures :-/

10. Trekker4747

The quick shots of it we see of it in the episode sort of don't allow one to see all of these lovely "details" on it that make the ship look like an abomination of common sense.

11. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad they came up with the Sovereign class for the movies instead of using this thing. It would have looked terrible on the big screen. Although, I do think the ENT-D had potential to look good on the big screen with some small adjustments.

12. Trekker4747

The Ent-D looked gorgeous on the big screen in GEN. Sure the model wasn't greatly practical for shooting or maneuvering but they quickly went to CGI anyway so that idea is a wash.

The Ent-D was as much of a character in TNG as everyonbe else and it's just disgusting how easily and quickly she was destroyed and dismissed as if she was just another piece of the set they didn't want anymore.

13. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Whatever be said of the aesthetics, the refit we see is actually among the most realistic in Star Trek. That's what's really done with ships that no longer can serve on their original merit: new gear is bolted on, old abilities are lost forever, and mission flexibility is given up for the ability to mount one decisive piece of hardware that no other, self-respecting ship type will agree to carry.

The triple-naceller most reminds me of the British monitors of the World Wars, except that this time it's the old spaceframe that's carried over and the weaponry that's modified (whereas those British ships had high tech supergun turrets installed on first one generation, then another of shallow-draught, bargain-basement hulls). Probably Starfleet saw the one purpose this giant but obsolete ship could still fulfill: the carrying of the clumsy, outsize phaser lance.

Timo Saloniemi

14. Trekker4747

Except in the AGT-future the Enterprise-D is 25 years old. Throughout TNG we see Mirandas (or Miranda variants), Constellations and Excelsior class ships, all ships that are probably pushing 80 with no pointless bullshit bolted on that ruins their original design aesthetic. And even if we accept that those classes of ships are new models of a 80-year-old design it wasn't changed in any meaningful way.

But the Galaxy-class? Eh, after 20 years bolt on some bullshit that doesn't look like it belongs, add some little winglets and put a giant air-conditioner on top of the main shuttle bay. Shuttle bay's one and two? Fuck them, pull them out and jam in some more impulse engines.

15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Sorry, but I think many of you are missing the point.

The ship is supposed to be ugly. It's a dark nasty future with a old miserable and hunched Riker with a nasty hunched Enterprise in a dark war torn future where an peaceful exploration ship had a lot of guns welded to it so the Federation could survive. This is the future to be avoided. It's not supposed to be nice.

All that out of the way, I like it!

16. C.E. Evans

Mission accomplished.

Still doesn't mean people have to like it.
    :rommie:

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seeing the Enterprise-D destroyed was mind blowing... in Time Squared. After episodes like Cause and Effect, any emotional component to seeing it destroyed was long gone.

18. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Indeed. I think the fact that I like it is how out of tune I am with the whole TNG philosophical mindset. I'm quite sure the intended reaction was to say, Oh, what did they do to Enterprise? and not in a good way.

19. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not the Galaxy class. Just the Enterprise-D, an individual ship for some reason beyond redemption and for that reason shunted for use as a phaser lance platform.

Although it seems that something big happened to warp drive at this juncture, too - warp 13 is now possible somehow. Quite possibly, all previous starship types were outdated overnight by the propulsion breakthrough, and have no practical frontline use even when equipped with an extra nacelle. It's not as if we would see any Mirandas, Excelsiors or even Nebulas or Sovereigns survive till the "AGT" era. Only a single low-registered and thus probably fairly old (2350s?) hospital ship is seen - capable of speeds similar to the poor old E-D, but not exactly frontline material, either.

Timo Saloniemi

20. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She does look pretty awful actually, looking at her. :guffaw:

Maybe that is the in-universe explanation too? Maybe Admiral Riker just went too far with his refit:

;)