Voyager Black Shore?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by dispatcher812, Mar 8, 2013.

1. dispatcher812

dispatcher812 Commander Red Shirt

So I was an S&S looking at the new TNG ebook coming out and found this: http://books.simonandschuster.com/Black-Shore/Greg-Cox/9780743453790

I clicked it once when I first found it and saw it was coming out April 2013. I hit the back button, then realized I wanted to look at something else about this book so I clicked it again. The date changed. I have tried it 4 times now and each time the release date changes. What the?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, this was a book originally published in May 1997. This looks like a new e-book edition. And I'm not seeing any change in release date when I reload.

3. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

It says April 23, 2013.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's also number 13, and we haven't had a numbered novel outside of a minseries since the early 2000s.
    On the plus side they are also finally releasing an e-book version of Greg Cox's pre-Eugenics Wars Gary Seven book Assignment: Eternity.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

Take a look at just under the list price: "Available on or around November 8, 2011". Just what is going on on that page????

But from what I recall, "Black Shore" was a pretty good book. I recall having read it two or three times, but he last time was back around 2002. Well I just finished #7 "Ghost Of A Chance" on my read though of the Voyager books, o I'll be at "The Black Shore" soon.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The Voyager seasons 1-3 books are excellent and "The Black Shore" is the best Star Trek book ever. A masterpiece!

I remember when I read it the first time. I read it from beginning to end without stop. I could hardly leave it just to make coffee. It was too exciting.

Great story where all the main characters are involved and with an enemy which makes the Borg look like well-behaved school kids.

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

That is a very bold statement. I am now going to have to read this book now and see for myself if it is the best Star Trek book ever:D

8. tomswift2002

Well with Voyager the majority of the numbered books were set in the first three season's, since the first numbered book with Seven of Nine was #16 Seven of Nine, and then the numbered books ended with #21.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Thanks! As I recall, that was my first solo TREK book, after a couple of collaborative efforts. Glad you liked it!

10. tomswift2002

I was just thinking, even though the Kazon were Voyager's biggest threat during the first three seasons on TV, we never really saw the Kazon in the books. Aside from #1 "Caretaker", "Mosaic" and "Pathways" (Kes' story), I can't recall the Kazon being in another book, aside from vague references.

11. Christopher

^That may be because the Kazon were the main threat. Tie-ins often try to avoid the main story threads of the things they tie into, in order to avoid contradictions.

On the other hand, the Kazon were featured in the second and third story arcs of Marvel's Voyager comic.

12. tomswift2002

I was just looking through the Voyager novels. Another novel that they pop up in is Day of Honor: Her Klingon Soul.

But I always got the impression that the Kazon were the "Romulans" of Voyager, always out there trying to make trouble for Voyager.

13. Christopher

I always thought of the Kazon more as Klingons having a perpetual bad hair day.

14. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I never thought the Kazon were anywhere near as intelligent as the Romulans. I always thought of them as 'klingons-lite', but never as interesting...

15. tomswift2002

The Kazons I found were always like the Romulans and Sela in TNG---they were there planning trouble for Starfleet, but never knowing when or where they would strike.